Morrissey concert in Auckland, NZ - cancelled

The Auckland show in two nights time has been cancelled. This was to be the last concert of the current tour.

Information from the promoter:

This event has been CANCELLED...

Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey
on Thursday 14 December at The Civic has been cancelled.

A message from the presenter:

“We regret to advise the Morrissey: 40 Years of Morrissey show scheduled for Thursday 14 December at The Civic, Auckland will no longer be proceeding due to unforeseen logistical issues. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
All ticket holders will receive an automatic refund as per the information below.

Media items:

Sven, wer 68 geboren wurde, sollte doch bitte nicht mit Streamzahlen argunentieren. It's all about vinyl sales and radio plays.
What about "Have you ever had it blue"? We heard it a lot in Europe back then. Anyway the great composer and good singer Weller does not have the same flamboyance...

Keep going. The gold medal for mental gymnastics is looming
I do remember when Morrissey cancelled all those concerts in middle America last year, the band still travelled by bus and went to all the stops planned on the tour and just hung out as tourists. Maybe they are given the choice to travel as planned or maybe they are not given a choice and still have to travel as planned.

It strikes me that Morrissey may be on the spectrum which might explain why a) he cancels abruptly and b) seems to do so without empathy. I have a son on the spectrum and he can just hit a wall of overwhelm - his senses are overloaded and then just cannot bring himself to do anything more. In addition, he truly cannot understand why sometimes things he says/does come across as rude to others when in his mind he is being perfectly nice, just logical.

My other theory, is that if Morrissey suffers from depression (I think I read that) then he may also just get hit with a bout of it and experience tells him it will last a few weeks.

Thing is though.. if either of these conjectures are correct, he definitely needs to hire a PR man navigate his way through his career otherwise the next movie will be titled "How To Lose A Career in 10 Days"

Shout to the top: 31 Mio plays on Spotify
There is a Light; 497 Mio plays on Spotify
I would have thought Youre the Best Thing or You Do Something To Me were probably the most well known weller songs, always hear Youre the Best Thing on stations like Greatest Hits Radio, but sadly nowt plays for Smiths or Moz 🤨

I would have thought Youre the Best Thing or You Do Something To Me were probably the most well known weller songs, always hear Youre the Best Thing on stations like Greatest Hits Radio, but sadly nowt plays for Smiths or Moz 🤨
You Do Something to Me is his most populair solo song. But with 48 million streams still a lot less successful than the more popular Smiths or Moz songs.

I don’t know how you can call it ‘discussing’. Name calling and judgments based on speculation, is not what I call for a fair or civil discussion about a person who is a stranger to most. Sad? yes, definitely. There are a handful of sad specimens, such as Gaylord who is on a downvoting spree simply because he knows I’m right.
I can only speak for myself and I don’t think I normally call Morrissey names. But yeah, we all speculate and come to conclusions based on these speculations, but I think all of us would change said conclusions if we were given new information.
I don’t know anything about Gaylord’s voting habits, but I do know that you’re no stranger to downvoting, yourself. I can’t see any difference between him downvoting posts he dislikes and you doing the same.

It strikes me that Morrissey may be on the spectrum which might explain why a) he cancels abruptly and b) seems to do so without empathy. I have a son on the spectrum and he can just hit a wall of overwhelm - his senses are overloaded and then just cannot bring himself to do anything more. In addition, he truly cannot understand why sometimes things he says/does come across as rude to others when in his mind he is being perfectly nice, just logical.

My other theory, is that if Morrissey suffers from depression (I think I read that) then he may also just get hit with a bout of it and experience tells him it will last a few weeks.

Thing is though.. if either of these conjectures are correct, he definitely needs to hire a PR man navigate his way through his career otherwise the next movie will be titled "How To Lose A Career in 10 Days"
All very valid points. In that case Moz just needs strong but empathetic support personnel who can mitigate the disasters by
(1) explaining the cancellation
(2) not allowing Moz to thank Oz seventeen seconds after NZ gets axed
(3) anyone with any knowledge of Oz/NZ knows there is a friendly rivalry there between the two great countries. I lived in Oz and travelled extensively in Oz and in NZ and often heard stories like "My son works in Sydney and sends all the money home to us in Auckland cos he wants it spent back home." So Moz thanking Oz was an ill-timed move.

You Do Something to Me is his most populair solo song. But with 48 million streams still a lot less successful than the more popular Smiths or Moz songs.
Yah and it's not a competition cos if it was Moz would win even with his hands tied. Weller is a miserable git who savagely slagged off Robert Smith without any provocation. And he got away with his ignorant homophobic slander. If Moz had said that he'd have been crucified. The worst Moz said about Bob Smith was he'd shoot him. But it wasn't a real personal attack and more like a cartoon dig in the ribs. But at the end of the day the quality and volume of Morrissey's output (Smiths, solo) speaks for itself.

Yah and it's not a competition cos if it was Moz would win even with his hands tied. Weller is a miserable git who savagely slagged off Robert Smith without any provocation. And he got away with his ignorant homophobic slander. If Moz had said that he'd have been crucified. The worst Moz said about Bob Smith was he'd shoot him. But it wasn't a real personal attack and more like a cartoon dig in the ribs. But at the end of the day the quality and volume of Morrissey's output (Smiths, solo) speaks for itself.
Agreed, Weller has also not been too complimentary about Moz over the years either

Last edited:
can a moderator tell me why this thread about auckland being cancelled is hijacked by posts about paul weller and yet none have been booted into off topic.yours sincerely,gordyboy.

It would make me, and everyone else who was looking forward to tomorrow night, feel a lot better ...
That's the part that Really stings...oh well, enough said..
I like your profile slogan, Gemstone73. Can I ask if it's derived, and if so, from where? :)
Nah, same band, at least Camila will be there.

If band member information posted in the thread was wrong, maybe same for ticket sales? You'd rarely expect a sold-out venue yet; would you? Steady sales and near-full by the time the date comes round should do?

Kinda off topic, kinda not. I just got a ticket to see THE THE for next year. Marr's finest post-Smiths work was with THE THE, in my exalted opinion. Mind Bomb and Dusk.
The album Soul mining is also great. I haven't listened for a while This reminds me to :)

I can only speak for myself and I don’t think I normally call Morrissey names. But yeah, we all speculate and come to conclusions based on these speculations, but I think all of us would change said conclusions if we were given new information.
maybe.
I don’t know anything about Gaylord’s voting habits, but I do know that you’re no stranger to downvoting, yourself. I can’t see any difference between him downvoting posts he dislikes and you doing the same.

Yeah, but considering how long we’ve been members, I’m proud to say I’m no longer a serial downvoter, lol. Meaning I’m not a child throwing tantrums just because I don’t like a certain member on here. He’s just upset because he knows I’m right. ;)

"Because you post shit like this, stating the obvious without any empathy whatsoever for people who may never get the chance to see Morrissey ever again.

Anaheim will be the next show now."

I used to think M simps. were just shit posting as my kids say, when they said stuff like this guy
Having worked in Cali and Florida I was shocked to find these people are actually 4Real,
They think of M as a superman, a god. In the UK, you do get the odd fecker like this, but they are usually like 14 or something
To them M can do no wrong, whatever he does they will make excuses for. Stuff that they would criticise if it was anyone else.
They pretend to like things and pretend to hate things he like and hate. They get it wrong. As they don't really get M.
You are better off not fecking engaging with these people, you really are mate.

I think anyone with two brain cells can fecking tell that M's career is not where it could or should be.
We can all see, that these tours that keep getting gigs cancelled leaving fans out of pocket are not a good look.
He should have more love for his fans. I like the new band and I have enjoyed the gigs I went to this year-F I R E
But you know, there is no point, in pretending he is in a good place career wise - beyond the small fan base, he is no longer respected
as a human or an artist. Lets be honest lots of the fans might love him but they don't really respect or like him much- its always kinda been like this. It just got fecking worse.

Please, Moz, think before you commit! I love Moz but... the truth is that you should say something when you need to cancel, you should schedule your tours better, this one is very long, Moz could do a year with dates spaced out to more distant places where a lot, instead of going all the time to the US, I think it's very exhausting, the trips are exhausting but you have to plan for it before, Because after that there are no excuses. I consider the new members of the band to be a bit conceited... All the time posting the pictures of what they do, personally, I'm not interested in the photos that "Camila and etc" post on this site. M Solo: stop posting those pictures... It seems that some people think they are more than M

Here's my theory.

Morrissey, or his tour manager, runs the numbers for what they expect to net from the trip, and makes the decision about whether to play the show or not. This is why these one-off gigs which are a fairly long distance apart end up routinely being cancelled. The logistics of hauling all the kit on and off the plane and setting up in the venue, paying and feeding the crew, etc. eats into the profits which can't be that substantial for small venue shows. If Moz is losing money on the gig, he won't play. It's simply a business decision.

Back
Top Bottom