Morrissey asked to go on Question Time – should he do it?

Moz asked to go on Question Time? Should he do so? We look at the merits of this and other cases of the pop world entering the Thursday night BBC political arena....
http://louderthanwar.com/morrissey-asked-to-go-on-question-time-should-he-do-it/

FERGAL

Oh yes, he definitely should. I would delight in witnessing his idiotic, uninformed, half-baked opinions being demolished by f***wits in front of the television cameras. It would be the ruination of him and I'd happily pay my TV Licence twice over for the privilege of seeing it.

Sadly, he knows he'd be eaten alive; remember how he ran away from the opportunity of confronting David Cameron on the Andrew Marr Show a couple of years ago.

God no, his persecution complex is bad enough as it is. A stint on Question Time would send him overboard.

Absolutely not.

90% of the audience are always absolute morons, and he will be up against Politicians who are experts at the format, altering questions to suit them and coming out with meanignless soundbites.

He has his views, and has countless platforms to air them, which he quite regularly does. There's nothing he can gain from going on QT.

he will be up against Politicians who are experts at the format, altering questions to suit them and coming out with meanignless soundbites.

Exactly. The lords of the soundbite always win these "debates". I've seen some smart people go on Question Time and look foolish. There's no need to subject himself to that humiliation.

90% of the audience are always absolute morons, and he will be up against Politicians who are experts at the format, altering questions to suit them and coming out with meanignless soundbites.

He has his views, and has countless platforms to air them, which he quite regularly does. There's nothing he can gain from going on QT.

Exactly. The lords of the soundbite always win these "debates". I've seen some smart people go on Question Time and look foolish. There's no need to subject himself to that humiliation.

Bullshit. Either he can stand over his opinions or he can't. He enthusiastically airs his views when there's nobody there who's likely to disagree and challenge him so, just for once, perhaps he should probably be willing to test those views.

No-one on Earth he's afraid of? Apparently not.

Hi there fergal 41.
NO! Morrissey should do NO taped interviews or T.V. shows what so ever!
There are few if any merits of the controlled media now and they will edit and misconstrue the interview tower their desired objectives. But then again, the media is not objective and Morrissey has given his opinion of the U.K. media in his most recent statement. As far as American television goes, red-meat commercials and big-pharma commercials rule the day." Does any one see a connection here?"m&d

Bullshit. Either he can stand over his opinions or he can't. He enthusiastically airs his views when there's nobody there who's likely to disagree and challenge him so, just for once, perhaps he should probably be willing to test those views.

No-one on Earth he's afraid of? Apparently not.

If it was a straight-up debate, you'd be right. I'd be disappointed if he didn't defend his views. But the debate would take place in the media, where no intelligent debate can occur. The people who go on Question Time and other shows are just a pack of dogs barking at each other.

The implication in your post is that Morrissey is somehow a coward for airing his views when nobody can challenge him, but you are forgetting that he has always spoken his mind bravely. There are consequences, and he has suffered a lot of blowback over the years. He's in an indirect dialogue with the culture as a whole, which has always challenged him and continues to try and silence and marginalize him. For the most part he's put up a courageous fight. The idea that he's ducking confrontations is silly. His entire career is a confrontation.

Oh will u kindly go away u blithering idiot, I would love to see moz on question time, but what's the point, he doesn't need to go on, all true moz fans know what he stands for and against, he speaks the truth, it's just that most people in high positions
Are scared to tell the truth about our government and laws, human rights etc.
the queens jubilee said it all

Yeah, I don't think that question time would have the time or opinion for him to express himself properly on it

Hi there fergal 41.
NO! Morrissey should do NO taped interviews or T.V. shows what so ever!
There are few if any merits of the controlled media now and they will edit and misconstrue the interview tower their desired objectives. But then again, the media is not objective and Morrissey has given his opinion of the U.K. media in his most recent statement. As far as American television goes, red-meat commercials and big-pharma commercials rule the day." Does any one see a connection here?"m&d

What's the connection? I'm not familiar with US television.

If it was a straight-up debate, you'd be right. I'd be disappointed if he didn't defend his views. But the debate would take place in the media, where no intelligent debate can occur. The people who go on Question Time and other shows are just a pack of dogs barking at each other.

Do you think no intelligent debate can occur because of the the restrictions that time slots put on programmes or some other reason?

I don't think all media is bad. Media is made up of people. Some are good at their job, some are bad.

Would you tar John Stewart, David Frost or Robert Fisk with the same brush that you would Piers Morgan, Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh?

There are media and journalists that are objective and would be conducive to debate. I would love to see Morrissey have his views challenged. It would provide him an opportunity to stand up his reasoning, silencing those who feel that his views are half-baked.

I agree with you Worm about QT, though. It always ends up being somewhat uncontrollable. Too many voices, a live broadcast and time constraints always results in missing the mark of a well intentioned idea.

The implication in your post is that Morrissey is somehow a coward for airing his views when nobody can challenge him, but you are forgetting that he has always spoken his mind bravely. There are consequences, and he has suffered a lot of blowback over the years. He's in an indirect dialogue with the culture as a whole, which has always challenged him and continues to try and silence and marginalize him. For the most part he's put up a courageous fight. The idea that he's ducking confrontations is silly.

When did you last read an interview with him where the interviewer challenged him? I find it impossible to believe that everybody who's interviewed him shares his (deliberately inflammatory) views, yet they never challenge him or scrutinise his opinions or even compel him to elaborate on the things he says. Why? Because, as far as I can see, the people who interview him are in awe of him (or, at least, because the publication in question will want to secure interviews with him in the future). Case in point - Simon Armitage: Morrissey describes an entire race of people as "a subspecies" and Armitage fails to so much as question it. Yes, Morrissey says and sings things that are at odds with mainstream culture. I realise that; it's one of the things that used to attract me to him. What he does, though, is the equivalent of sneaking up behind someone in the pub, punching them in the back of the head then and running away. There is nothing "courageous" about that. He is a coward.

The idea that Morrissey won't accept an invitation onto Question Time because the standard or style of debate would be beneath him is ridiculous. He's a pop singer, for God's sake. If he genuinely believes in the causes with which he associates himself, surely he should be willing to expose his opinions to the widest possible audience, confronting the supposed idiocy of his detractors and trying to persuade a few people along the way. Granted, the frontbench politicians who appear on the panel usually want to try to peddle their respective party's messages and try, as far as possible, not to depart from a PR-orientated script, but often they get pilloried both by the audience and by their fellow contestants for doing so. Each week, there are two non-politicians on the panel and, as often as not, they are the ones who get the most vocal support from the audience - precisely because they aren't aiming to satisfy the lowest common denominator or curry favour. If, for example, Will Self has enough backbone to take part in Question Time - defending the civil rights of a child killer, despite a media furore vilifying said person (approximately 0:00-2:09 & 8:07-9:34) - I can see no good reason why Morrissey can't go on there and say, "I think the queen is rubbish". If he genuinely wants to be a "disruptor" of the cosy consensus which prevails in mainstream culture - as opposed to a trivial, headline-grabbing pop star - then he should be willing to go head-to-head with those whom he decries.

Do you think no intelligent debate can occur because of the the restrictions that time slots put on programmes or some other reason?

I don't think all media is bad. Media is made up of people. Some are good at their job, some are bad.

Would you tar John Stewart, David Frost or Robert Fisk with the same brush that you would Piers Morgan, Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh?

There are media and journalists that are objective and would be conducive to debate. I would love to see Morrissey have his views challenged. It would provide him an opportunity to stand up his reasoning, silencing those who feel that his views are half-baked.

I agree with you Worm about QT, though. It always ends up being somewhat uncontrollable. Too many voices, a live broadcast and time constraints always results in missing the mark of a well intentioned idea.

Well, it's not so much pure idiocy as a need to stay on script. In the link above, Jarvis Cocker spoke of being prompted to answer certain questions a certain way. These shows seem improvised but they're tightly controlled by producers. So the format really favors people speaking in soundbites and scoring points off their opponents. Because of the time constraints the guests don't have many real exchanges. They're just people taking turns talking. And I also feel, particularly in the case of public figures, that they will never, ever speak off the cuff. You know what they're going to say before they say it. They're rehashing talking points. Of all the chat shows, I like Bill Maher's best, and even on his show what is said is often predetermined, including some of his apparently spontaneous jokes.

I wouldn't equate Jon Stewart with Rush Limbaugh, no, but there are seldom real exchanges on the "lefty" shows, either. Host brings on guest. Guest recites talking points. Host appears to hover between serious and light-hearted, drawing out guest's humanity with little jokes while making himself appear good-natured and fair. It's all standard. They're as scripted as soap commercials. You'll never get any real conversations. Instead, how about doing what Dan Savage did? Untelevised debate on gay marriage!

I think your point about Morrissey defending his views is well-taken-- I'd like to see him stand tall and take on all comers, too-- but we have to remember he isn't a public intellectual. He isn't a professor, a writer, or a politician. He's a pop star who has brought some ideas to his music which seem to lift him out of the category of mindless entertainer and into the role of Very Serious Person. But he isn't. He's a pop star. His views are offered on a take it or leave it basis. I think his purpose is to make people think, not convince anyone of an argument. "Meat Is Murder" is a howl from the heart. It's not an intellectual argument. Which doesn't make him wrong.

If there's one cause he probably could argue successfully, it's the argument for vegetarianism and against animal cruelty. But why do it? How's it going to improve on "Meat Is Murder"? For that matter, does anyone attempt to argue for meat-eating, and the slaughter of animals? Believe me, Morrissey isn't the only one tossing out views with no back-up. Every time you see a steakhouse commercial, it's not as if a man in a suit is carefully laying out the reasons you should eat animal flesh. Views and ideologies are thrust upon us all the time without any kind of back-up whatsoever. It seems we're applying a bit of a double standard.

Last edited:
Well, it's not so much pure idiocy as a need to stay on script. In the link above, Jarvis Cocker spoke of being prompted to answer certain questions a certain way. These shows seem improvised but they're tightly controlled by producers. So the format really favors people speaking in soundbites and scoring points off their opponents. Because of the time constraints the guests don't have many real exchanges. They're just people taking turns talking. And I also feel, particularly in the case of public figures, that they will never, ever speak off the cuff. You know what they're going to say before they say it. They're rehashing talking points. Of all the chat shows, I like Bill Maher's best, and even on his show what is said is often predetermined, including some of his apparently spontaneous jokes.

I wouldn't equate Jon Stewart with Rush Limbaugh, no, but there are seldom real exchanges on the "lefty" shows, either. Host brings on guest. Guest recites talking points. Host appears to hover between serious and light-hearted, drawing out guest's humanity with little jokes while making himself appear good-natured and fair. It's all standard. They're as scripted as soap commercials. You'll never get any real conversations. Instead, how about doing what Dan Savage did? Untelevised debate on gay marriage!

I think your point about Morrissey defending his views is well-taken-- I'd like to see him stand tall and take on all comers, too-- but we have to remember he isn't a public intellectual. He isn't a professor, a writer, or a politician. He's a pop star who has brought some ideas to his music which seem to lift him out of the category of mindless entertainer and into the role of Very Serious Person. But he isn't. He's a pop star. His views are offered on a take it or leave it basis. I think his purpose is to make people think, not convince anyone of an argument. "Meat Is Murder" is a howl from the heart. It's not an intellectual argument. Which doesn't make him wrong.

If there's one cause he probably could argue successfully, it's the argument for vegetarianism and against animal cruelty. But why do it? How's it going to improve on "Meat Is Murder"? For that matter, does anyone attempt to argue for meat-eating, and the slaughter of animals? Believe me, Morrissey isn't the only one tossing out views with no back-up. Every time you see a steakhouse commercial, it's not as if a man in a suit is carefully laying out the reasons you should eat animal flesh. Views and ideologies are thrust upon us all the time without any kind of back-up whatsoever. It seems we're applying a bit of a double standard.

John Stewart's interviews do leave much to be desired but as a journalist bringing to fore points that had been conveniently forgotten in a highly digestible manner I think he should be commended. I think it's wasteful to say media=bad. Great journalism would be discarded as a result of such a narrow viewpoint.

Perhaps you are right about being a pop star. To admit that in my mind at least would drop him down a few rungs into an area shared with Lady Gaga and Jenny McCarthy.

John Stewart's interviews do leave much to be desired but as a journalist bringing to fore points that had been conveniently forgotten in a highly digestible manner I think he should be commended. I think it's wasteful to say media=bad. Great journalism would be discarded as a result of such a narrow viewpoint.

He's not a journalist, though. Famously, he got in a pissing match with someone who tried to claim he was. He's an entertainer. I agree with you in the sense that Jon Stewart is valuable, because otherwise nobody would be speaking sanity and truth in the media, but he's a comedian and we shouldn't forget that. And "highly digestible manner"-- in my opinion, that's precisely the problem. Let's not have anything digestible. Let's be messy and complicated and really talk about the things that are important. Real conversations allow for a lot of give and take. Televised shouting matches don't.

Perhaps you are right about being a pop star. To admit that in my mind at least would drop him down a few rungs into an area shared with Lady Gaga and Jenny McCarthy.

I don't think Morrissey is on the same level as Lady Gaga. I was just trying to say pretty much what I said above, about Jon Stewart. It's a category error we're making if we hold Morrissey to the same standards as politicians and other public figures. I don't really expect him to defend his views. I don't need him to. I'll weigh his statements and his songs for myself and decide if they have any merit. When it comes to art, evidence and argument are not needed. They operate on a different plane. "Meat Is Murder" works because it shakes up the listener and appeals to his emotions. It doesn't work as a rational argument-- it would be hugely embarrassing if it tried.

Back
Top Bottom