Morrissey article/interview in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Last edited:
What do you think when you see bands like the Stones and The Who, all near 70, performing their old songs? Do you find it inspiring, depressing or something in between?

It's good if it's well-executed. I don't want to go to a stadium and watch a mass of lights. Humans don't last, and if the Stones and the Who want to play music at 70 instead of nodding off in front of Turner Classic Movies, then I think that's a healthy decision.

Well, isn't that convenient?

A couple of quotes caught my eye:

"I read nothing online."

"I have never once relied on a promotional campaign."

P.

Ever the contrarian (Morrissey not me) these caught mine.

Do you have material that doesn't feel right to sing on the other side of 50?

Rarely. I think the sentiments are timeless, which is why the early catalog still sells well. The Morrissey catalog through Universal is abysmally distributed.

What do you think when you see bands like the Stones and The Who, all near 70, performing their old songs? Do you find it inspiring, depressing or something in between?

It's good if it's well-executed. I don't want to go to a stadium and watch a mass of lights. Humans don't last, and if the Stones and the Who want to play music at 70 instead of nodding off in front of Turner Classic Movies, then I think that's a healthy decision. Plus, people absolutely love the Stones and the Who, so it's not as if they are being forced upon us.

As for promotional campaigns the only one of unmitigated success was for Quarry. The remainder have (mostly) been relative failures, hence in the World of Morrissey (a definite failure!) this translates as being self-reliant. Call me old-fashioned but I don't believe Morrissey's tours are sell-outs due to promotional campaigns either

says he's never relied on a promotional campaign - that's one of the reasons why he's waiting out for a major record label :rolleyes:

says he's never relied on a promotional campaign - that's one of the reasons why he's waiting out for a major record label :rolleyes:

He was quite cross with the Sanctuary staff at the Time of The Youngest Was The Most Loved - he really slagged off the promo staff, calling them 'rubbish', as I recall from the e-mail anonymously posted here.

P.

Preview: Morrissey hits the road with new songs - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
By Scott Mervis

This site gets a mention.

Excerpt:

How different will the set list be from that last run of shows, and do you pay attention to what songs your fans may be suggesting online (or anything else they say, for that matter)?
I don't think whatever songs I sing matters that much because it's not as if any of them are actually awful. I read nothing online. There's a hateful online creche called Morrissey SoLow, which cured me of canvassing opinions many years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
A decent interview. I've had some contact with Scott Mervis of the Post Gazette over the years, he's always seemed fairly rational for a journalist. Interesting to hear the backstories of the two cancellations in my hometown, even if M refuses to accept blame for the second. I chuckled at the "these days I can financially afford to avoid people" quote. Roll on, Pittsburgh.

Am I the only one who thinks that "Hateful Online Creche" would make a brilliant title for a new album?

Neither of them will ever get a deal.

Okay. Let me take a moment to recap this interview as I just read it. This is not hatefulness, this is observation.

So Morrissey hates people and has become rich enough to stay away from people...unless its people who are PAYING to see him? So he only likes people who are giving him money to be in his presence.

You get what you give. That is a hateful frame of mind. I can't believe he doesn't see this, even Wilde wrote about that concept. And not everyone here hates him. What the f*** is a crèche?

Morrissey sounds like a douche in this interview. I'm lost.

Really? It's taken you this long to come to the conclusion that he's a douche?

I think he slides through phases. I thought he was able to recognize this phase and not publish interviews while in it so he doesn't have to beat himself up afterward when he's not in that phase. I don't think this is his 4th gear. His tranny gets stuck wound up in 2nd and burning up his motor.

A hospital where orphans are taken to and get taken cared of.

So now we're bastard children mental patients? I'm trying to f***ing help him.

Crèche is day care, at least that is what it is in Ireland. Most users on this site are reasonably balanced fans who contribute positively to the forums and genuinely keep the updates on Mozworld fresh and flowing. Morrissey has a point about hate rising on this site, and I think it is down to anonymous posters who do nobody here any favours. I don't like having to trawl through their invective garbage while sifting to find value. Give morrissey solo back to real fans who take the time to log in instead of letting a few hooligans smear their pointless and self-serving graffiti all over what was once a great fan site.

For your interest

Crèche is day care, at least that is what it is in Ireland. Most users on this site are reasonably balanced fans who contribute positively to the forums and genuinely keep the updates on Mozworld fresh and flowing. Morrissey has a point about hate rising on this site, and I think it is down to anonymous posters who do nobody here any favours. I don't like having to trawl through their invective garbage while sifting to find value. Give morrissey solo back to real fans who take the time to log in instead of letting a few hooligans smear their pointless and self-serving graffiti all over what was once a great fan site.

I advise you to read David's post here

It's hilarious that Morrissey hates his fans. I also love the fact that he has become increasingly right wing as he gets older and is considering voting UKIP. What a refreshing change from all these lefty twats who are on twitter every five minutes. Viva Moz!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom