"Morrissey 25: Live" film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

Morrissey 25: Live: Film Review - The Hollywood Reporter
by Stephen Dalton

Remarkable singer marks quarter century milestone with unremarkable concert film.

Snippets...

The original performance began with an onstage introduction by Morrissey’s friend and cheerleader Russell Brand, a heartfelt eulogy which – bizarrely – has been cut from the finished film. Brand and other celebrity acolytes, including Patti Smith, are now glimpsed only fleetingly in an opening montage. This is a baffling omission, considering Brand is not just an eloquent orator but arguably more famous nowadays than Morrissey himself. But as we long-suffering fans know all too well, the Oscar Wilde of pop moves in mysterious ways.

Among the musical highlights are a clutch of Smiths classics. They include a scouringly heavy remake of Meat Is Murder, an angry vegetarian manifesto illustrated with hellish visual clips of animal cruelty, and a graceful rearrangement of the melancholy ballad Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want. Fans of Morrissey’s retro-crooner side will also enjoy his sumptuous, feverishly melodramatic cover version of Frankie Valli’s 1967 torch song, To Give (The Reason I Live).

Compared to the last official Morrissey concert film, Who Put The M In Manchester? In 2004, 25: Live is a largely lackluster affair. Which is frustrating, because the singer remains a unique cultural icon, with more than enough musical treasure and prickly charisma to make a Don’t Look Back or a Stop Making Sense. But that would require a heavyweight director to challenge and cajole him out of his mid-life comfort zone. Until then, he will continue to preach to the converted with perfunctory promotional items like this, which is as good as it needs to be but no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered why I was being harassed, not only by MJ fanatics, but now also by some Morrissey fans......
Should've known to check this site immediately....
You can't exploit me or my video, anymore.
You don't know me or my situation. There is nothing wrong with me advocating for victims and there it is not a crime that I know Morrissey.
Please don't bother either one of us.
You have been warned.

For all others, please support this cause. "Like" and share this page. Thank you. <3
This page is SOLELY for support of the victims. It is not for debates or for trolling. If you do so, you'll only be wasting your time.

https://www.facebook.com/waderobsonsupporters
-JASMINE

Re: Article: &quot;Morrissey 25: Live&quot; film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

And I feel like to be on this site I have to have one of those absurd positions. Either A) his career is over and no artist has ever sunk so low or B) The People Are the Same Everywhere is the most brilliant pop song ever!

What's interesting is that the B position is highly exaggerated and doesn't really exist, but the A position is completely realistic and can be seen on Morrissey Solo every day. There are maybe 1 or 2 fans on here that are as extreme as the ~15 extreme haters.

There is nothing wrong with me advocating for victims and there it is not a crime that I know Morrissey.
Please don't bother either one of us.
You have been warned.

Just a clarification. When you say "either one of us" to whom do you refer? You and... Wade Robson, you and Morrissey? You and someone else? I'm happy to leave you alone, but need to know the other person.

Finally, your warning. What will happen? Obviously, being nervous of your powers I don't wish to upset you.

ahhh......I found this link posted on the wade supporters site.....
is THIS the matt guy and his video mention of her????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Vd45EHZxA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPOWhUhAfUryj1QLnHhw6zw

I guess she claims that what he said is a bit inaccurate....
she commented on it on the wade supporters thing....
she seems to have quite a few posts there......
and yeah, I see that they have some celebrity associates there.....there's also something from Roseanne barr.......but yeah.....I also see something from simmons
also saw that the page made the news.....I missed that article....and i'm a radaronline fan....go figure....
i'm not going to bother her but it would be nice if anyone with any inside knowledge on her and moz could share.....someone here must know him.....I know his associates and contacts troll through here....they've commented on things before.....
it would just be neat to know how they even know each other....and why she made such a strange video......

WTF? I've bookmarked that video in case I ever need to feel better about myself... ya know, Matt, relative deprivation. ;)

Just a clarification. When you say "either one of us" to whom do you refer? You and... Wade Robson, you and Morrissey? You and someone else? I'm happy to leave you alone, but need to know the other person.

Finally, your warning. What will happen? Obviously, being nervous of your powers I don't wish to upset you.

I really just can't follow the random spate of anonymous postings about videos and harassments and victims of crime. The fact that no one else had commented on them up until this point was making me believe that only I could see them. It was like some sort of nightmarish surrealist French film in which an otherwise typical argument about Morrissey continues on as though nothing is wrong while one man notices crazy crazy crazy ramblings that no one else seems derailed by.

Perhaps I have a future in cinema.

I really just can't follow the random spate of anonymous postings about videos and harassments and victims of crime. The fact that no one else had commented on them up until this point was making me believe that only I could see them. It was like some sort of nightmarish surrealist French film in which an otherwise typical argument about Morrissey continues on as though nothing is wrong while one man notices crazy crazy crazy ramblings that no one else seems derailed by.

Perhaps I have a future in cinema.

Same thing here. I have no clue why that Jasmine/Matt/Wade Robson drama was introduced on this thread. Talk about off topic. But I am curious to see if Jasmine returns to respond to Johnny's question.

Have you seen that guy Matt's video? Internet hubris run amok.

Last edited:
Same thing here. I have no clue why that Jasmine/Matt/Wade Robson drama was introduced on this thread. Talk about off topic. But I am curious to see if Jasmine returns to respond to Johnny's question.

Have you seen that guy Matt's video? Internet hubris run amok.

No, I was afraid to click on the link. It seemed like one of those e-mails you get from Nigerian business men or ousted Thai Ministers of Finance. Clicking can only lead to trouble. But you say it's safe?

No, I was afraid to click on the link. It seemed like one of those e-mails you get from Nigerian business men or ousted Thai Ministers of Finance. Clicking can only lead to trouble. But you say it's safe?

Yes, it is safe. But it may traumatize you. Haha. Or it could have the effect it had upon me... making me feel better about myself. So I say, watch it... at least the first few minutes. The guy's ego is out of control.

Yes, it is safe. But it may traumatize you. Haha. Or it could have the effect it had upon me... making me feel better about myself. So I say, watch it... at least the first few minutes. The guy's ego is out of control.

I watched about one minute and fifty four seconds of it. All I could gather was people hated Michael Jackson and had pwned them.

How this relates to the Stephen Dalton's review of Morrissey 25: Live I don't know.

Don't anonymous comments have to survive moderation?

I watched about one minute and fifty four seconds of it. All I could gather was people hated Michael Jackson and had pwned them.

How this relates to the Stephen Dalton's review of Morrissey 25: Live I don't know.

Don't anonymous comments have to survive moderation?

They must be on holiday. Or perhaps... they are waiting to see if something develops... like Jasmine returning? Give her a platform to spill the beans? I think it is the latter.

https://vimeo.com/72055073

This bimbo (who refuse to wear a bra) helps run a support page for that shit wade robson. that page is out of control! shameless......they've even invited gene simmons to the page......they have like 12 thousand followers......she should rot in hell!

I think this is the same jasmine that people were saying knows moz back in 2011. do you guys remember all of that?? did she ever show up at any of his shows?
it's rumored that the two of them are actually acquainted somehow (I think she actually mentions something about that in the video) and it's been said that she is the "twin" he referred to earlier this year......

justice for mj!

I don't remember him mentioning a twin, when was this?

They must be on holiday. Or perhaps... they are waiting to see if something develops... like Jasmine returning? Give her a platform to spill the beans? I think it is the latter.

Was Jasmine a poster here that I missed? Is there something that will suddenly make this all make sense?

Was Jasmine a poster here that I missed? Is there something that will suddenly make this all make sense?

I don't know anymore than you do. The post asks, is Jasmine, the girl who is supporting Wade Robson, the same Jasmine that purports to know Moz? Silly eh?

Re: Article: &amp;quot;Morrissey 25: Live&amp;quot; film review by Stephen Dalton - The Hollywood Reporter

Yes, you are the only one who has mastered the concept of Nuance. Have you picked up your Nobel prize yet?

Has it ever occured to you that people here are outspoken because they feel passionate about Morrissey?

Your boring nuanced drivel doesn't make you wise or special. It makes you sound like my grandmother.

Goodnight and Thank You.
Excellent response Mr Hartman.

- - - Updated - - -

The same Charlie Brooker who made a comfortable career from writing in the Guardian, until he became upset his readers realised he had sold out and decided to take his ball home. Diddums.
Be fair Johnny, he did deny flat out the Private Eye article and he did say he'd be back.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom