Mojo / Andrew Male: review of IANADOAC (4/5*s)

"people die along with their crimes" ... jesus christ how alarmist and melodramatic can people be. Morrissey's opinions are not "crimes". I swear half the people who write reviews and articles don't even know at this point what Morrissey has actually said ... they see someone write an article who saw someone else write an article, who saw someone else...

Nope, it's just his recording career that's in jeopardy, and his biggest problems are in the UK. He can keep going for years playing live on the nostalgia circuit albeit to smaller crowds than he's been used to. Credit where due, it's impressive that he's been asked to headline the Cruel World festival - there's no way a similar sized festival in the UK would have him top of the bill.

I think he sells enough tickets here in the us alone to make him appealing if he wanted to release something. There’s a deal in there if he really wanted it as that’s a large sum of money to leave on the table. I don’t know if he will sell as many records in the Uk or how the show attendance will shake out but I think he’s still popular enough In so many places that he could release an album if he wanted to. I’m not convinced that bmg have washed there hands either or if it’s just there strategy to lay low and just pull back for now. There may not just be any gain in a big push at the moment especially if he’s not gonna give interviews and he’ll probably sell a certain number of records no matter what. We’ll see I guess. At this point I would think that any push will come right at or right before the album release

If morrisseys career is over and he’s headlining the cruel world festival does this mean everyone playing below him on the Bill are in an even worse state than he
The venue for CW holds 28,000. So even if 10,000-15,000 left when he came on, it would show. I look forward to seeing it in real time. I don't think Morrissey is the draw here in the slightest, just that he has the great fortune to share a bill with so many legendary acts.

If the album is a success (commercially) then it won't be problem for future record companies. But it seems that the previously Morrissey-friendly radio stations are refusing to play any of the new songs (to date at least) which will reduce its commercial success considerably. Furthermore, about 50-60% of the UK fan-base (for concerts at least) seems to have deserted him, incensed by his decision to publicly and unambiguously endorse a far-right political party, and cheer on the likes of Farage and Robinson.
He needs to issue a statement and retract that support, pretty urgently. He is not a genuinely right-wing person - he was simply drawn in to supporting these clowns (For Britain) because the singer is a gay vegan feminist.
You truly are a clown.

Morrissey's views on mass immigration in the UK become more valid as each day goes by.

A detraction? If anything he will only add more statements on this subject.

If it loses him some 'woke' UK fans, who cares. Who wants fans that are stupid? He's better off without them.

Last edited:
Lol.

Again, California Son charted at number 4 in the UK. None of the tracks on that album were written by Morrissey and it still charted at number 4. Click that bloody Wikipedia link and see for yourself that California Son charted at number 4.

Did I mention enough times that California Son charted at number 4?
Debuting high in the charts has never been a problem for Moz, because the majority of the fan base will buy multiple copies in the first week. Staying in the album chart beyond the 3rd or 4th week however has. And I do think that will ever improve.

At any previous point of the past 20 years you would have been right. Yes, he would be back in a few years and would get a half-dent deal easily enough.
But I'm afraid everything has changed. He's lost most (over 50%) of his fan-base, radio stations are refusing to play his new songs, record shops and websites are refusing to stock his new album, long running Morrissey/Smiths nights have shut down, advertising space owners refuse to carry his ads. Signing Morrissey to your record label was always a risk - now it has become out of the question.
If you honestly feel that it's business as usual in the Morrissey world, you are utterly delusional. Without that apology and retraction of support for extremist right-wing people and parties, it really is all over as far as the future recording of new material is concerned.

The UK is not the world. He can keep making records for South America if it comes to it.

The venue for CW holds 28,000. So even if 10,000-15,000 left when he came on, it would show. I look forward to seeing it in real time. I don't think Morrissey is the draw here in the slightest, just that he has the great fortune to share a bill with so many legendary acts.

Are you trolling us right now?

Morrissey's albums have outsold every act on that list. Ok, I've just made that up, but I'd bet that it's true.

I also reckon that Morrissey has more followers on Spotify than any other act on that Cruel World poster.

I may take a look at albums sales and Spotify info later and post the results.

If you’re looking to compare draw then you compare the crowd size of the previous bands crowd, bauhaus (no the this time), with morrisseys crowd size

Britain is awful, he says a couple of things Not On The Left & likes a bloody ridiculous woman who Used To Be On The Left & now he has to die before anyone can like his album.

Still, it's not all bad if you get a good review from people who want you dead because they have nicer politics.

Are you trolling us right now?

Morrissey's albums have outsold every act on that list. Ok, I've just made that up, but I'd bet that it's true.

I also reckon that Morrissey has more followers on Spotify than any other act on that Cruel World poster.

I may take a look at albums sales and Spotify info later and post the results.

Have you noticed Blondie are playing?

Britain is awful, he says a couple of things Not On The Left & likes a bloody ridiculous woman who Used To Be On The Left & now he has to die before anyone can like his album.

Still, it's not all bad if you get a good review from people who want you dead because they have nicer politics.
All intelligent nations lose it eventually.

Britain is sadly the latest.

Viva America.

There's a reason Morrissey is headlining Cruel World:

The Smiths have 2,072,067 Followers

Morrissey has 666,465 Followers

Echo & The Bunnymen have 442,289 Followers

Blondie have 684,336 Followers

Blondie who supported Moz at MSG a couple of years ago.

So no surprise they come lower on the festival line up.

Moz is obviously the big draw for that festival.

Did I say they should be higher on the Bill?? The poster reckons Morrissey has sold more albums. He has sold nowhere near as many albums as Blondie have, they have had something like 11 platinum selling albums.

Just checked, they have had 19 platinum selling albums ( inc double platinum) Morrissey has had 1

Last edited:
Did I say they should be higher on the Bill?? The poster reckons Morrissey has sold more albums. He has sold nowhere near as many albums as Blondie have, they have had something like 11 platinum selling albums.

Just checked, they have had 19 platinum selling albums Morrissey has had 1
Well, that's just the UK I presume. In the US Morrissey has more than one platinum record.
And also it's unfair to leave out The Smiths in a case like this.

But yes, Blondie had more hits, The Smiths/Morrissey were/are more album-based.

Blondie who supported Moz at MSG a couple of years ago.

So no surprise they come lower on the festival line up.

Moz is obviously the big draw for that festival.

Have you actually thought about why Morrissey would be a bigger draw than Blondie?. Just think about it for a moment and try and work out it out.

Last edited:
Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review
Back
Top Bottom