Modern Drummer YT: "Brendan Buckley Morrissey Tour Kit Rundown" (December 15, 2022)

Screenshot_20221216-040643.png

Interesting watch.
100 songs & a Rubber Ring tease šŸ˜Æ
FWD.

cool guy and good at his job.

Cā€™mon Moz! Give this guy a drum solo !

think it would be a first(?)

I did notice that Brendan plays with an effortless almost jazz style, very little movement and no large gesturing. I am also a big Rush fan, especially of the Signals album. I've seen them twice, once for the Vapor Trails tour then once for their 40th year tour - where they played Moving Pictures in it's entirety.

Dean B. was a little rigid, though he's a good timekeeper. His drumming on 'Hard To Walk Tall....' is probably his high mark in the group. I've got really no opinion on Spike other than with his punk background he probably brought some energy to live shows, many of which you attended!

Spencer is a talented enough musician all around that he could pick up the drums and play decently well - though I think he actually stated he never liked to drum, and you could hear that it wasn't his passion. He was pushed by Steve L. to drum more passionately during the Southpaw sessions and it helped him. His drumming aside, Spencer did contribute in writing a few Morrissey songs that - at the time they were written - helped fill in the gaps that the rest of the current material left remaining. Spencer also seems like a very genuine person, and it's easy to understand why he is beloved by many Morrissey fans.

Chamberlain has played off and on with Tori Amos for her entire career (besides being a studio drummer for various artists has also been a part of Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, and also played in the SNL house band). There are many good examples of his skills, but I would listen to 'Cruel' (live) off of Tori Amos' 'To Venus and Back' for instant Chamberlain action. Take in that whole track to understand the full power of Tori and her band at that time (early 2000s).

Matt Walker is very gifted. From his early work with Smashing Pumpkins (listen to 'The End is the Beginning...' and 'Tear') to what he's accomplished with Morrissey, his talent is clear ---- especially in unique tracks such as 'Girl From Tel Aviv'. I was disappointed when Morrissey started touring with Buckley --- only because it meant Walker had gone (and I don't think there's been any official statements made about that anyway). However, after so many live clips I've seen with Buckley in Morrissey's band, I'm sold on the guy.
Thank you!! I couldn't sleep last night, but after reading half of your post I was OUT. And Rush sucks.

I did notice that Brendan plays with an effortless almost jazz style, very little movement and no large gesturing. I am also a big Rush fan, especially of the Signals album. I've seen them twice, once for the Vapor Trails tour then once for their 40th year tour - where they played Moving Pictures in it's entirety.

Dean B. was a little rigid, though he's a good timekeeper. His drumming on 'Hard To Walk Tall....' is probably his high mark in the group. I've got really no opinion on Spike other than with his punk background he probably brought some energy to live shows, many of which you attended!

Spencer is a talented enough musician all around that he could pick up the drums and play decently well - though I think he actually stated he never liked to drum, and you could hear that it wasn't his passion. He was pushed by Steve L. to drum more passionately during the Southpaw sessions and it helped him. His drumming aside, Spencer did contribute in writing a few Morrissey songs that - at the time they were written - helped fill in the gaps that the rest of the current material left remaining. Spencer also seems like a very genuine person, and it's easy to understand why he is beloved by many Morrissey fans.

Chamberlain has played off and on with Tori Amos for her entire career (besides being a studio drummer for various artists has also been a part of Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, and also played in the SNL house band). There are many good examples of his skills, but I would listen to 'Cruel' (live) off of Tori Amos' 'To Venus and Back' for instant Chamberlain action. Take in that whole track to understand the full power of Tori and her band at that time (early 2000s).

Matt Walker is very gifted. From his early work with Smashing Pumpkins (listen to 'The End is the Beginning...' and 'Tear') to what he's accomplished with Morrissey, his talent is clear ---- especially in unique tracks such as 'Girl From Tel Aviv'. I was disappointed when Morrissey started touring with Buckley --- only because it meant Walker had gone (and I don't think there's been any official statements made about that anyway). However, after so many live clips I've seen with Buckley in Morrissey's band, I'm sold on the guy.
I will definitely check out the Tori Amos recommendations.

Spencer did say he not interested in drumming anymore when he joined Elva Snow and he does have a song writing credit for Lost which is a great song but in 1991 he did talk fondly about drumming and said "balls out is my only speed". I think he's a good guy and I get why fans like him but the people that say he was Morrissey's best drummer including Mike Joyce are just fanbois/fangirls/fanthems.

I do like the song Shimmer by Elva Snow.

On a completely different note.. John Candy is a true legend and no matter how many times Uncle Buck or Trains, Plains and Automobiles come on I will watch them again and again.

He died too young.. age 43.. so I think your avatar is a great tribute.

EDIT: I just noticed your user name.. Juan Dulces. I would have never thought about translating that if you didn't have the John Candy image.

Last edited:
yeah, add spencer's part on the operation and see how he compares.
I think Morrissey probably kept Spencer in check. While I don't think he is a great drummer the "solo" intro on The Operation was fairly straight forward, pretty repetitive and he used very little of the drum kit.

I have no doubt Spencer could do better and I have even less than no doubt that Buckley could outshine Spencer but Morrissey is a solo act so getting even a mini-solo seems like a pretty big nod from Morrissey to Spencer.

Loved this. He is a class act, sophisticated yet down to earth, and excellent at his profession. So glad he joined the band. Sidenote his teeth are so white! The insights he shared were really interesting like about the setlist and the drum skins chosen by Moz as others mentioned, as well as how he records each show then goes back and reviews his work. Also appreciated the GONG "Like So.":D We saw him out front of the Castro after the SF gig and he was very kind and friendly. I really enjoyed watching this.

He's very good at explaining everything without boring you and he's clearly equipped with a good sense of humour which is high points for me.
Looking forward to hearing Buckley on the next, next album ;)

Last edited:
I will definitely check out the Tori Amos recommendations.

Spencer did say he not interested in drumming anymore when he joined Elva Snow and he does have a song writing credit for Lost which is a great song but in 1991 he did talk fondly about drumming and said "balls out is my only speed". I think he's a good guy and I get why fans like him but the people that say he was Morrissey's best drummer including Mike Joyce are just fanbois/fangirls/fanthems.

I do like the song Shimmer by Elva Snow.

On a completely different note.. John Candy is a true legend and no matter how many times Uncle Buck or Trains, Plains and Automobiles come on I will watch them again and again.

He died too young.. age 43.. so I think your avatar is a great tribute.

EDIT: I just noticed your user name.. Juan Dulces. I would have never thought about translating that if you didn't have the John Candy image.

Yeah, John Candy is a legend. Most of the best seem to never live as long as the rest, sadly. I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks too for the interesting back and forth. Be well, and Happy Holidays to you!

View attachment 87148

Interesting watch.
100 songs & a Rubber Ring tease šŸ˜Æ
FWD.

In exchange for supporting the same setlist format for several years, let's propose the following and concede he'll include 5 new songs. This is just example of untapped arsenal.

1. Pregnant for the last time
2. Boy Racer
3. Heaven Knows
4. Shiela Take a Bow
5. Alsatian Cousin
6. Now I am a was
7. There is a place
8. Ordinary Boys
9. Well I wonder
10. Whatever happens
12. Unlovable
13. Now my hear is full
14. November spawned
15. Rushholme Ruffians

Rightly positive reaction to this expo, but I can't help recalling the outcry at news during the tour of a competition with the prize of meeting Brendan Buckley on set. Maybe we could give Sam and Fiona Dowdell a break as well and be more willing to see how they shine :highfive:

Now this is the level of detail we want from behind the scenes of a Moz tour. You could definitely tell he was very focused on his choice of words, which we all know is indiciative of how personal Moz takes things.
I hope Alain gave him some pointers!

In exchange for supporting the same setlist format for several years, let's propose the following and concede he'll include 5 new songs. This is just example of untapped arsenal.

1. Pregnant for the last time
2. Boy Racer
3. Heaven Knows
4. Shiela Take a Bow
5. Alsatian Cousin
6. Now I am a was
7. There is a place
8. Ordinary Boys
9. Well I wonder
10. Whatever happens
12. Unlovable
13. Now my hear is full
14. November spawned
15. Rushholme Ruffians

If Juan continues playing double bass as badly as he did on the last tour's renditions of The Loop, I never want to hear him butcher Pregnant For the Last Time. He's no Gary Day when it comes to playing double bass in a rockabilly style.

This is a great example of the stuff that should get posted on Central. I love Brendan's positive attitude. He seems to genuinely enjoy being on the tour and drumming for Morrissey.

This is a great example of the stuff that should get posted on Central. I love Brendan's positive attitude. He seems to genuinely enjoy being on the tour and drumming for Morrissey.
I wonder if it's a bit of a risk. It seems to be so easy to upset Morrissey with a careless word, and then you're out. Brendan mentions backing tracks at one point - which I know are very common - but would Morrissey not want to us to believe it's all live?

I wonder if it's a bit of a risk. It seems to be so easy to upset Morrissey with a careless word, and then you're out. Brendan mentions backing tracks at one point - which I know are very common - but would Morrissey not want to us to believe it's all live?

If he does say ā€˜backing tracksā€™, I believe he just means triggering samples, like the example he gave. Not playing to backing tracks.

Excellent backstage information, loved it! Through just this interview, I can see why Brendan was hired to be the band drummer. Very glad I got to see him play live with Mr. M. recently. There's a joy that resonates around Mr. Buckley šŸ˜‡.

Back
Top Bottom