Markie Winslow incident in Fairmount Indiana 1988 from Morrissey's "Autobiography" challenged

Kevin Cavanaugh writes:

Morrissey-solo – hands down – I was in Fairmount during filming ----- and what he writes never happened:

page 296:

"I am approached by an elderly farmhand who speaks in a whisper. He has James Dean’s signature from 1949, and he is prepared to sell it to me for $3,000. I ask to see it, and out comes a school yearbook with the Dean signature written mid-page in pencil. the man runs off when Markie (Winslow - cousin of James Dean - who grew up with him in the Winslow household) appears, waving something at me.

'Did you write this?' he asks me sternly.

He is holding what unfortunately became an essay written by me in the late 1970's entitled James Dead is Not Dean yet irritatingly printed by a Manchester workshop as James Dean is Not Dead. A dreadful heap of 70s juvenilia, the essay brought me 40 useful pounds when nothing else could, and I had no idea that it would turn into a bookish presentation that would haunt me till death's sigh. My head shamefully tilts, and Markie storms off, and minutes later we are of the premises. Thankfully, we had all of the filming we needed, but there were no friendly mid-western waves as we chugged away from the farm."​

This is complete crap ~ !!!!

As a family friend of Markie Winslow and as a witness to the SUEDEHEAD video shoot on the last day of shooting FEB 8 1988 - this "book waving" NEVER happened. The Winslow Family NEVER saw a copy of the book "James Dean Is Not Dead"

I am confirming that on the morning of FEB 8 1988 – it was I that presented MOZ with a copy of this book that morning 11am where upon meeting in him and Gail Colson in their "section van" (with half a dozen US pressings of SMITHS LP's to be gleefully autographed!) - he begged that the family Winslow NOT see this book. My friend Bob - (who was the big friend of The Winslow family) and I agreed TO MORRISSEY - after he signed the book! - to never show the family. Its not like anyone in Fairmount, Indiana could buy the book at your ordinary book store (where would the family FIND this book?!) and why would we surrender our autographed copy after driving 6 and one half hours to be there that day ???

Complete bullshit – we stayed True To Him – and it MOZ that came with MTV 3 years later at our record store in Grand Rapids (only to meet and swap kisses again): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZDRaSoxNU to premier “Your Arsenal” – we thought he was there to “return the favor” of not disclosing the book to family ---------

Really hard to read anymore of “Auto.....” heroes down ---- onward onward Kevin Cavanaugh

Related item:

Last edited:
I don't know why but I haven't been able to stop chuckling after reading this. A very Morrissey-esque put down.

I was really laughing. But that's because I thought the comment pertained to Morrissey's atrocious writing.

Good analyzation CG.

And I wonder why Moz was so embarrassed by the book. I read it back in the 90s. Good read. The one thing I remember from it was that Natalie Wood (or was it Elizabeth Taylor?) gave James Dean a kitten and then he handed it back. (Inspiration for handing back a Chihuahua!!! The second most killed breed in U.S. shelters after the pit bull! Whose dogs are those in the "Throwing Arms Around Paris" video anyway?)

NotLiterallyButMetaphorically

I own that book. :o I liked it, but I'm not a budding leather elbow intellectual so it spoke to me on a lovely plebian level.

Ha! Kevin Cavanaugh...what's your point? I mean who cares? Your just bent out of shape that Moz couldn't care less about your short tubby bald self! Yes, everyone that listened to you embellish your story of being in Fairmount that day would ask you if the words POT...KETTLE...BLACK mean anything to you? And where is this signed book? You probably sold it for a yesterdog and a packet of chips! GET A LIFE AND A f***ING GRIP! I can't believe you feel so inclined to set the story straight over something that took up half a page!!
And I call BS on your so called account of events..JEEZ

Kevin Cavanaugh writes:

Morrissey-solo – hands down – I was in Fairmount during filming ----- and what he writes never happened:

page 296:

"I am approached by an elderly farmhand who speaks in a whisper. He has James Dean’s signature from 1949, and he is prepared to sell it to me for $3,000. I ask to see it, and out comes a school yearbook with the Dean signature written mid-page in pencil. the man runs off when Markie (Winslow - cousin of James Dean - who grew up with him in the Winslow household) appears, waving something at me.

'Did you write this?' he asks me sternly.

He is holding what unfortunately became an essay written by me in the late 1970's entitled James Dead is Not Dean yet irritatingly printed by a Manchester workshop as James Dean is Not Dead. A dreadful heap of 70s juvenilia, the essay brought me 40 useful pounds when nothing else could, and I had no idea that it would turn into a bookish presentation that would haunt me till death's sigh. My head shamefully tilts, and Markie storms off, and minutes later we are off the premises. Thankfully, we had all of the filming we needed, but there were no friendly mid-western waves as we chugged away from the farm."​

Um, for one thing Morrissey never said he was waving the book, particularly not the book Morrissey signed for a fan, he said he was waving the ESSAY. The book is a bound collection of essays. I have a copy. It's not that hard to find if you know where to look. Does he honestly think it is so impossible that a friend of the Dean family, or local resident who knew who Morrissey was and that he was there, could have copied and mailed or otherwise gotten it to them, knowing that the author was filming on their property? How the hell does this guy know what happened to Morrissey every minute they were on the property?

Um, for one thing Morrissey never said he was waving the book, particularly not the book Morrissey signed for a fan, he said he was waving the ESSAY. The book is a bound collection of essays. I have a copy. It's not that hard to find if you know where to look. Does he honestly think it is so impossible that a friend of the Dean family, or local resident who knew who Morrissey was and that he was there, could have copied and mailed or otherwise gotten it to them, knowing that the author was filming on their property? How the hell does this guy know what happened to Morrissey every minute they were on the property?

I hate it when the voice of reason is an anonymous poster. :p

This is before the internet - before the easy way of buying things on ebay. An obscure, out of print UK pamphlet, rare as f*** to get hold of in those days, and you think two of them turned up in seperate incidents on that day in Fairmont - you really think that's more likely than Morrissey embroidering a story to make it more interesting?

Technically possibly - but un-f***ing-likely.

Ha! Kevin Cavanaugh...what's your point? I mean who cares? Your just bent out of shape that Moz couldn't care less about your short tubby bald self! Yes, everyone that listened to you embellish your story of being in Fairmount that day would ask you if the words POT...KETTLE...BLACK mean anything to you? And where is this signed book? You probably sold it for a yesterdog and a packet of chips! GET A LIFE AND A f***ING GRIP! I can't believe you feel so inclined to set the story straight over something that took up half a page!!
And I call BS on your so called account of events..JEEZ

Anonymous - you mean "You'RE just bent........?" :guitar:

I'm shocked that people doubt Morrissey either lied about this, but I shouldn't be...
The person who wrote this backs up their claim very well. The story Morrissey told in the book is more interesting than the truth. That's why he lied.

Exactly. The idea that just because this is 'non-fiction' means everything Morrissey writes in his autobiography is 100% unembroidered truth, exactly as it happenned, no exagerration or deception here, honest guv, is laughable.

In this book Morrissey sets out to a) tell a good dramatic story, b) settle scores (real or imaginary) with old foes and c) paint a certain picture of himself. Every sentence will have been shaped to draw a certain response from the reader, even if it's just to amuse them, and build up his self-image of the unappreciated genius undone by the stupidity of those around him. It's Morrissey's version of his life story, the way he would like us to see him, not necessarily what actually happenned. (and even the omissions are as interesting as the skewed and distorted facts - reading this you would never know that there was a time in his youth when Morrissey wasn't a vegetarian).

I thought it was bloody entertaining, but please don't confuse it with reality.

Bummie boy shoots down a lot of what I say here, but, every pop star has an image. Real life is different, not better or worse just different.

Why? To make the book more dramatically interesting, you dolt. Of course the book is full of exaggerations, half-truths, and down-right lies. Or do you really think no birds sang in Manchester when Morrissey was a child?

All writers lie. Especially those writing autobiographies. Otherwise the results would be very, very boring.

'We went and filmed the Suedehead video in Fairmont, and all the Dean family were very nice' may be factually correct, but it's boring as f***, so why wouldn't he change the story?

Listen sweetie. I know autobiographies are full of mis-rememberings and embellishments but this is such a minor incident that I would be very surprised if it was a lie given that there were many people there to back up his story. There will be more responses to the book coming out I'm sure... but they will be a matter of perspective not facts...

I've been thinking of what I can say here...Because, I'll be honest - Marcus "Little Markie" Winslow is not the type of man to come swinging anything. He's a very polite man. Quiet. He may have slowly approached Morrissey and said, "Did you write this?" It could have been stern to Morrissey's ears. Storming away? Again, maybe it's the way Morrissey remembers it, but it's really hard for me to see Marcus angry. How did Morrissey even get onto the farm or inside the barn, for that matter, if 'Markie" was that upset? It's his house! Well...I'm not sure if Marcus Sr. was still alive or not at that point. Maybe he was and that's how Morrissey had access - if Markie was angry - that is...

I don't know...I wasn't there, so I can't cast judgment.

By the way, Marcus receives many, many, MANY things from all over the world from Dean fans. His collection is vast. It's not shocking he might possess a copy of the Essay. Even back in those days.

I can't believe this little part of Morrissey's book has even made it to the front page...it's such a minor thing.

this is almost impossible to make sense of...

poorly written. maybe he could give it another go - then we can all try to make sense of this.

here here.
you can almost see the tears in his eyes and the froth at his mouth.

Pretty sure there were no hard feelings--at least not any that persisted. The remaining members of the Winslow family were guests of honor in the front row at his Indianapolis show in 2007.

So is this guy's name giving away Morrissey's location? Mozzy I got a one bedroom for a month what you pay for two nights. Comes with a ghost too. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom