"Low In High School" review by Pat Gilbert (3 stars) in Mojo

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard half the songs on the live performances. They are not very good. Just silly.

Yes, BrummieBoy. You may have heard them. But you haven't actually LISTENED.

When you go and see the band live, sit near the drummer and Mando and listen to them live.
Then come back when you have listened....

Hazard
x

There was a time Q or Mojo et al would go through each song and discuss it. The writer put more effort in to the preamble than anything else.
I'd give the reviewer 2/5.
Regards,
FWD.
And a long time aego, they praised the mannered arrangements of album songs on YATQ which production was outdated from day one... and now evetyone listens to the 2002 versions I would rate this reviewer 4/5, this is well written with nuances.

I would also say that reviewers are very kind to not comment the vacuity of the message on the sleeve and the poor artistic quality of its aspect

I doubt whether the music mags have the clout they had 3 years ago. In general they seem to be struggling to demonstrate they're not an anachronism in 2017. These two non-reviews won't help matters,to me it feels like we're still waiting for a genuine appraisal.

He would have got better reviews if he went to the pub with the journalist. That's how it works and all power to him for not going. Morrissey's political views regarding Europe are very similar to John Lydon's who doesn't get castigated. I like John Lyndon a lot.

That's really hurtful. I could almost cry! You are a HORRID! person!!!!! *sadface*

ps: As far as I can recall, I never said any such thing.

I thought you HAD/DID BrummieBoy many weeks ago actually .....
But who cares anyway what you posted because he HAS !
Hee Hee,

Hazard

I doubt whether the music mags have the clout they had 3 years ago. In general they seem to be struggling to demonstrate they're not an anachronism in 2017. These two non-reviews won't help matters,to me it feels like we're still waiting for a genuine appraisal.

I’ll settle for one good or bad that simply makes the album and the songs the subject of the review and not an anecdote to the reviewers opinions of morrissey the man and his vague political statements

I'm still waiting for someone to review the record
and not a review of what M says, especially when it is taken out of context and therefore twisted to fit their agenda of misunderstanding and hate.

Also he seems to have just read the lyric sheet and not actually played the album.
'stick in the knife'

:straightface:

Amen. These two reviewers are obnoxious and too self-absorbed. Yeah like Moz but he's the one who actually created something so he's allowed to be personal. Big FU to these two hacks. Next.

Very interesting review. Text show us the new LP is great (great music, lyrics, singing) - but agenda is NOT to give current Morrissey official press/media approval, because he is subversive for status-quo: politically, socially, artistically.
Something much sinister is in background - never read two major reviews (Uncut, Mojo) and they are talking about "death of artist, David Icke, AMW joke, anonymous twitter hecklers, moral maze, half-decade old sub-species thoughts..."
Morrissey obviously made fantastic record and mainstream (in every meaning of the word) is using method of direct character assassination no matter of the craft.
However, in spite of that - "Low In High School" IS album of the year. Everything else on the scene is just bongos in kindergarten.

OK, on the subject of live dates... First off, I'm going to night 1 at the Hollywood Bowl, but let's be honest, Morrissey does not treat his shows as a way to reward the audience by playing fan favorites. He's clearly said he doesn't care what the fans want to hear, he's going to play what he wants to play. In other words, the stagnant setlists have also hurt him.

I just saw Depeche Mode and whether you like them or not, they do a great job of playing a balanced setlist. Only 3 songs from the new album and then favorites from several albums spanning their career. They are not above doing proper promotion, TV appearances with interviews .... and they sold out a record 4 nights at the Hollywood Bowl.
I don't think it's the setlist. I think it's the politics. At least as far as it goes in Portland, Oregon. It's so left leaning as to almost be parody. Portlandia, while unfunny, is reviled here for a reason, and it's for striking too close to the bone. He's always sold out, and fairly quickly as well, prior to this tour.

Depeche Mode, funnily enough, are playing here on Monday, and I gave my ticket away after seeing the setlist the other day. Sure, there's some good stuff and it covers a lot of eras, but I didn't feel like navigating arena parking, crowds, security lines, etc. I haven't seen an arena show since the Cure's last tour, and that was outside, so it felt a lot less claustrophobic and weird to me. Before that, I think it was 2004? Something like that. Arenas just don't do it for me anymore.

EDIT: And that's a much more balanced setlist than they've been touring!

And a long time aego, they praised the mannered arrangements of album songs on YATQ which production was outdated from day one... and now evetyone listens to the 2002 versions I would rate this reviewer 4/5, this is well written with nuances.

I would also say that reviewers are very kind to not comment the vacuity of the message on the sleeve and the poor artistic quality of its aspect
Using subjective views as a way to create 'rules' to base a point on is poor arguing technique.
The people making Quarry probably didn't have 'outdated' in the forefront of their minds when making it. Nor would they probably agree with your assertion. Subjective opinions are exactly that - to imply a greater insight in to the creation of that record than others is totally erroneous and speaks to how you argue rather than anything factual. That is something that happens here every day: That album's amazing... That album's shit... When actually, there is no right answer as it's subjective.
The crux of many issues on this site is people not knowing how to discuss a subjective topic like 'good' & 'bad' albums without ego or telling everyone how wrong they are as they don't see things the same way. It becomes the Morrissey equivalent of Facebook comments.
I would respectfully disagree with your review of the review - simply because his preamble does it no favours and is formulaic. The title is a tiny bit condescending towards Morrissey - even if just being flippant. People agreeing with a review of an album they have not heard is a little odd is it not? The writer doesn't deserve that much trust surely?
Anyway, I will give your comment a subjective 3/5 stars. :)
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I reckon me wish all those blood Americans like Malibu Steve would stop complaining about how their government invades the Middle East because of oil.

PS-Would any of you lots trade me autographed pic of Mike Joyce for a New York Yankee cap or a Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan jersey? I'm just up the M5 here in Hogwartshire.

That last paragraph! Pat let his personal feelings regarding Morrissey's comments colour his review and the rating. Omit everything unrelated to the actual album and it would be a good review with another star at least added on.

Thanks Anonymous!

Yes, but lyrical content matters. It's not an instrumental album. Morrissey broaches these subjects because he knows they bring controversy, and affect how the song is examined.

Someone could like the music on the album, and even the vocal melodies, but despise the lyrical content, and rate it overall for what the songs are saying.

Lyrical content matters; especially when you're an artist who is known for their lyrical content. There seems to be this strange blind spot that Morrissey loyalists have when it comes to criticism.

Music magazines haven't had clout for decades. Most people have never chosen to buy, or follow an artist because of a music critic's review.

The reality is, music criticism has always been a way for fans of certain artists to feel validated by a critic's review. If the critic gives a negative review, then the critic has always been a hideous monster who should be tortured indefinitely.

By the content of the critic, it seems the album deserves more than 3 stars and the article should have another title.

I wonder why some people are automatically upset with Morrissey's words and they don't stop for a second to analize why he says one thing or another. They are only words, not a bombing. It's like they were programmed in a given way and any little detour from that programmed path (to disaster) make them feel uncomfortable. Why do we need to create robots if people are so easy to program? You just have to create a maze full of obstacles called professional career and put out of it and call losers all those people who dare to have an original opinion or refuse to repeat a given dogma. Then you'll have all the trained puppies making automatic tricks for their masters. We can see it everywhere, but it is more evident in mainstream media. When free press served people it was considered a pillar of a democratic state. Now press serves different groups of power and it's just another tool used to sustain the bunch of different criminal dictatorships that rule our world. Sorry for the digression.

Because Morrissey is intentionally coy with his statements, and that invites even more speculation and controversy. He doesn't like to explain himself, and thinks he doesn't have to justify his opinion.

The problem is, when you don't explain yourself, the speculations become the defining narrative. Morrissey has been toying with this vague rhetoric for quite some time. It's not new, it's just more exposed now, so more people have an interest in his opinion. You could get away with these statements in eras that had a short memories, but the past is always present now. Adapt, or you flop.

Only when bombings occurred in Manchester did Morrissey feel the need to address Muslim extremism in a direct manner. When it happened elsewhere, he focused on the fact that it didn't compare to meat eating. Hypocrisy will always be called out when you're a person of interest. Your words matter. Choose them carefully, and precisely.

Being flippant comes with greater responsibility now. It's the price you pay for increasing exposure.

The rest of your post was pure psychobabble.

in 27 days we can all make up our own minds,will it drag in,will it fly in,who knows.then we can post our own honest reviews,i think its looking good that this album will be an excellent piece of work.

Yes, but lyrical content matters. It's not an instrumental album. Morrissey broaches these subjects because he knows they bring controversy, and affect how the song is examined.

Someone could like the music on the album, and even the vocal melodies, but despise the lyrical content, and rate it overall for what the songs are saying.

Lyrical content matters; especially when you're an artist who is known for their lyrical content. There seems to be this strange blind spot that Morrissey loyalists have when it comes to criticism.

Pat has no problem with the lyrics, well, apart from When You Open Your Legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat has no problem with the lyrics, well, apart from When You Open Your Legs.

Quite. Aside from saying When You Open Your Legs is weaker, the reviewer doesn't actually mention one thing wrong with the album. Which make the headline and the rating somewhat jarring.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom