Johnny Marr's statement about the Smiths rumour

Posted on Johnny Marr's Twitter, a link to his Facebook update:

The rumour of the Smiths reunion is untrue. It's not happening.

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

The rumor may have started with this article, link posted by @GianniSantor0 on Twitter.

The Smiths to reform - Music-News.com
added: 26 Apr 2012 // by: Music-News.com Newsdesk

Music-News.com has learnt that one of the greatest bands the world has ever known are to reform.

The Smiths, widely regarded as THE seminal British band, are to throw their differences aside and return to the live stage this autumn.

The legendary songwriting partnership comprising of musical luminaries Morrissey and Marr are set to make a return after finding common ground.

It will be the first time that Manchester's independent monoliths, who were signed to London's Rough Trade label, have graced a stage since their acrimonious split in 1987.

Legal wranglings in the band saw other members, Andy Rourke (bass) and Mike Joyce (drums), sue with varying degrees of success.

This announcement comes after a source revealed that the 80s icons had been in talks to perform with a well-known promoter.

The decision was said to have been made after fellow Mancunians, The Stone Roses, gave in and reformed.

The Smiths had previously turned down a lucrative offer of over 76 million pounds to tour the US.

Update: Since we published this article earlier today, denial of this reformation has been rife.

UPDATE 3:35PM PT:

Links posted by goinghome:

Johnny Marr quashes talk of Smiths reunion saying: 'I got things to do' - The Guardian
Guitarist dismisses online reports that the band will reform, while former drummer Mike Joyce also denies the rumours

Johnny Marr, Mike Joyce deny online Smiths reunion rumours - Gigwise
Guitarist issues statement via official website saying 'It's not happening'

Last edited:
Hope that reunion never happens or there will be murder...

Couldn't agree more. It seems like a shame that Morrissey's pride prevents him from considering a powerful co-writer like Marr again, because sharing the spotlight never bothered him in The Smiths and it has the potential to be hugely productive musically. Yet when it comes to talk of reunions, there's a strange kind of honour in that stubbornness too - something steely and self-destructive that I can't help but admire a little. Remember, Marr burned him by walking out on him; perhaps Moz is still a little sore and doesn't want the AWOL Wonderboy to return, Messiah-like, and appear to "save" his career after all these years of winging it on his own. Morrissey is the only Smith to have had a real solo career, truthfully. So if it's coming to a natural end...maybe the Captain wants to go down with his ship? Maybe that's why he's making these absurdly grand pronouncements about the current band. We all know (including him) that he doesn't really mean it, but it's the fact that he's heard saying it that counts. It's the verbal equivalent of the SMITHS IS DEAD t-shirt - it says, "I will not back down".
Marr saving Moz's career? Quite the other way around really!

what is that? the sound of all the local "mom and pop" stores selling out of AQUANET "extra Super Hold" hairspray and 3Flowers because the greasers are stocking up for that "reunion" - don't forget your Doc Marten's or your Converse Chuck "All-Stars" and remember to crease your pant leggings. Wear those "bomber jackets" and drive your Mustangs around town blasting "How Soon Is Now" because your lives are finally full-filled!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Morrissey just seems like the type of guy who dislikes the majority of his back-catalog because he's so far removed from the feelings he had when he wrote them that they are now meaningless.

I think he largely makes things work by either denying or exaggerating them. It's kind of astonishing that this method has worked so long without his brain melting like a big ancient nuclear reactor under stress. Aah...They don't make them like that anymore...

Johnny decided he didn't want to be made to look like a contestant in "Drop Dead Gorgeous", like Big In Japan is nowadays. He's wrong obviously, he wouldn't look lame in lamé. Plus, he's got a talent... Johnny, dresses aren't just "for big girls"...Think about it lad. You know it makes sense.

True. Now, if the Inspiral Carpets, Easterhouse and Red Guitars were to reform, things might reach critical mass...

The Inspiral Carpets reformed last year..... just played a sell out UK tour, about to back Happy Mondays on their arena tour and playing V Festival with the Mondays and Stone Roses!
Keep up dear Worm ;)

The Inspiral Carpets reformed last year..... just played a sell out UK tour, about to back Happy Mondays on their arena tour and playing V Festival with the Mondays and Stone Roses!
Keep up dear Worm ;)

I'm mortified. My negligence with respect to the Inspiral Carpets is truly shameful. :doh:

Well I hope Johnny Marr and The Healers do a bit of gigging sometime this year. I may actually go and see them, if I can be brave enough to leave Wales. When is their album coming out?

Well I hope Johnny Marr and The Healers do a bit of gigging sometime this year. I may actually go and see them, if I can be brave enough to leave Wales. When is their album coming out?

A lot sooner than Morrissey's next album. :lbf:

A lot sooner than Morrissey's next album. :lbf:

Quite right :) I was hoping a release date, but oh well.

Wait a min....how come Marr can get a record deal within 5 seconds and Morrissey can't? Is it all the people he's upset?

Quite right :) I was hoping a release date, but oh well.

Wait a min....how come Marr can get a record deal within 5 seconds and Morrissey can't? Is it all the people he's upset?

It probably has to do with Marr isn't expecting to be pampered like a new born's bottom and is more willing to self-release an album. Morrissey could have had an album out by now if he didn't still consider himself a major contender in the "pop" scene.

It probably has to do with Marr isn't expecting to be pampered like a new born's bottom and is more willing to self-release an album. Morrissey could have had an album out by now if he didn't still consider himself a major contender in the "pop" scene.

phahaha! Popular music is just RNB and Rap now....Morrissey has no place there anymore. He was lucky to have his comeback in 2003.

He should definately go Indie! He'd still have good sales!

I think he absolutely believes it. I think he also absolutely believes that his last three albums have been the best of his career. I also think he believes his next two albums (that he has written but not recorded) are even better than those three combined!

Morrissey just seems like the type of guy who dislikes the majority of his back-catalog because he's so far removed from the feelings he had when he wrote them that they are now meaningless. He only seems like he can relate to his current crop of songs, and therefore only finds value in them. Which is probably why he is constantly retroactively altering his discography.

That's an interesting thought. I think Moz said something very similar himself about the early Smiths songs, the "mating calls" that he'd feel silly singing in middle age. I'm not sure that theory holds up towards his entire back catalogue, though. For a man who hates his old stuff, Moz has always put plenty of Smiths and early solo songs into his live setlist(s). Last night I was listening to the Santiago recording from 2004 and the setlist was brilliant; Bigmouth, Now My Heart Is Full, November Spawned.., Rubber Ring etc etc. He puts Smiths songs into the mix with such frequency that I can't believe he'd think them irrelevant, and the same with anything he includes from Viva, Vauxhall and Southpaw. He doesn't throw anything in just to "please the fans" - he plays the songs he likes.

Back
Top Bottom