Johnny Marr plays ''Last Night I Dreamt...'' with The Last Shadow Puppets in Manchester

Uploaded by richie hoy
Published on Jul 10, 2016
LAST SHADOW PUPPETS AND JOHNNY MARR MANCHESTER CASTLEFIELD BOWL 10/07/16 LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THE SMITHS COVER

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on the song. If it were a cover of "Some Girls..," "Vicar in a Tutu," "First of the Gang to Die" then yes, the singer wouldn't need to invest "emotionally." There is room for covers that are just for fun.

But songs like "Last Night I Dreamt..." "Asleep," "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" and countless others just will not come off well without true heart and a clear singing voice.

If an actor takes on the role of a character from a famous play and just wings it, or poses throughout, it's terrible. Same with covers of songs written in b, s and t.

Having said that, Moz seems to like pretty much all the of covers done of his work!

Really, people should take it waaaaaay more easier Smihts covers. It's just a band or artist playing their own favourite song at a gig. It's not a contest. Some of them are better some of them are not. Just like Morrissey playing Bowie or Roxy Music....i mean, his version of ''Streetlife''...:rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the song. If it were a cover of "Some Girls..," "Vicar in a Tutu," "First of the Gang to Die" then yes, the singer wouldn't need to invest "emotionally." There is room for covers that are just for fun.

But songs like "Last Night I Dreamt..." "Asleep," "I've Changed My Plea to Guilty" and countless others just will not come off well without true heart and a clear singing voice.

If an actor takes on the role of a character from a famous play and just wings it, or poses throughout, it's terrible. Same with covers of songs written in b, s and t.

Having said that, Moz seems to like pretty much all the of covers done of his work!

I think it just easier to put your own vibe on those songs but really the way morrissey sings some girls is a big part of its appeal to me. He sounds so serious that its conflicting with the lyrics is what makes it amusing. If someone covered it and didn't sing it that way it wouldn't ruin it or sound off but it wouldn't be the same vibe as the original. He put his own sta,p on even those songs

The lounge singer/Elvis in vegas persona this singer uses is getting thin now, it was funny when he first did it at Glastonbury, but now he comes over as just a bit of a dick, particularly has he can't really sing very well.

Johnny tries so hard and gets so frustrated when people think of him as a 'sideman', insisting that he's a solo artist and his solo stuff is better than the Queen is Dead etc, etc. Then he does these "special guest" appearances and just confirms that image all over again. Oh look, here comes the Smiths guitarist, wheeled out to play Smiths songs again, with an ever-worsening series of singers and bands. The novelty has worn off and most of these 'versions' are dire.

Johnny came on stage with them again yesterday at Ally Pally, playing Last Night I Dreamt, Totally Wired and one of their songs.

The prophecy is starting to come to fruition -for it was written in ancient scrolls that Steven Patrick would leave the door open in his autobiography for an amicable with Johnny Marr, and that several years later Mr. Marr would dust off an old Smiths favorite

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom