Johnny Marr on the Smiths, Morrissey and putting politics back in pop - The Guardian

Re: Johnny Marr on Morrissey today in Guardian

I don't know. In a way I find his attempts to look cool and street-wise and politically right-on rather transparent and a little embarrassing. Like a middle-aged university lecturer who still thinks they're hip and down with the kids.

I don't know. In a way I find his attempts to look cool and street-wise and politically right-on rather transparent and a little embarrassing. Like a middle-aged university lecturer who still thinks they're hip and down with the kids.

Even more transparent and embarrassing, though, are Morrissey fans who want to find any pretext to criticise Johnny Marr just because he decided, over twenty-five years ago, to stop working with their idol.

Johnny Marr on the Smiths, Morrissey and putting politics back in pop - The Guardian
by Dave Simpson

With the release of his first solo album The Messenger, the former Smiths guitarist talks about finally embracing his old sound, David Cameron and why he and Morrissey don't talk any more

Excerpt:

In fact, Marr reveals that while the two former confidantes were meeting up occasionally a few years ago, nowadays they no longer speak at all.

"We don't have any reason to, to be honest," he says, with a touch of glumness. When Marr remastered the Smiths' back catalogue two years ago, he emailed Morrissey (along with all his ex-bandmates) saying he could hear the love in the music, but didn't hear back. "It was a nice way to leave it, I think," he considers, tiptoeing carefully around too much discussion of his former partner. "You can only try and be friendly with someone for so long without getting anything back. You just think: 'Ah, f*** it.'"

Last edited by a moderator:
Marr is just somehow defending himself,[I hope his album sells well he got a lot of good PR lately,very well,
so people have faith in him]

The Morrissey issue, there were talks about royalties, reissues...me thinks Morrissey is still bitter about
how the Smiths ended, and waits for a kind of explanation, while Johnny kept on, and got no respect or
positive reactions by Morrissey.

Johnny can say well f*** it, but it's a love/hate situation, he's big in the musicpapers last month and coming period,
but he definately knows, the 2 were/are, and always will be legendary

Marr paid Joyce, Morrrissey won't agree or be happy if Joyce benefits from the remastered albums,
sorry Johnny you know Morrissey will till his death never play or or work with Joyce, so don't expect a big cheer for the remasters.

keep it updated and don't let the journalist try to make you this sorta comments, it's not worth it, Johnny
maybe in a few months or a year, 2 year, whatever, but the press can hurt you as much as they roll the red carpet out like these period.

Johnny remember...

Marr paid Joyce, Morrrissey won't agree or be happy if Joyce benefits from the remastered albums,
sorry Johnny you know Morrissey will till his death never play or or work with Joyce, so don't expect a big cheer for the remasters.

Morrissey should have paid Joyce too, but I'm not sure he has quite gotten round to it yet, just fifteen or sixteen years later. I heard there was a period when Moz would tour the UK while being chased from venue to venue by Joyce's representatives trying to get him to pay up. Perhaps it is all settled now.

There was a time when I would have said a full Smiths reunion would have been impossible but I get the feeling Morrissey is now even more about the money than before, if anyone can imagine that. If the cash was in place Morrissey 2013 would appear on stage with Joyce, Marr, Rourke, Kate Middleton, whomsoever.

Even more transparent and embarrassing, though, are Morrissey fans who want to find any pretext to criticise Johnny Marr just because he decided, over twenty-five years ago, to stop working with their idol.

Well, I can't stand those fans either. But even more transparent and embarrassing, though, are Morrissey fans(?) who find any pretext to anonymously criticise any view that doesn't quite tally with their own.

After reading Morrissey's latest diatribe he probably thinks he's made a wise decision!

Johnny Marr continues to be a real class act and must be comfortable with his decision to leave Morrissey and The Smith's behind. Can you image having to deal with Morrissey in any business setting. I believe Morrissey is on a path of self destruction and it is only a matter of time before we unfortunately have another Ian Curtis.

Well, I can't stand those fans either. But even more transparent and embarrassing, though, are Morrissey fans(?) who find any pretext to anonymously criticise any view that doesn't quite tally with their own.

I posted anonymously ... is that the best you've got? I don't suppose I am actually any more "anonymous" than you ... unless that's your actual name you're posting under. Would you have tried to actually rebut the point if I'd posted under a username?

As for being critical of of opinions that differ from my own: why wouldn't somebody do that? This is a place for discussion, isn't it?

I posted anonymously ... is that the best you've got? I don't suppose I am actually any more "anonymous" than you ... unless that's your actual name you're posting under. Would you have tried to actually rebut the point if I'd posted under a username?

As for being critical of of opinions that differ from my own: why wouldn't somebody do that? This is a place for discussion, isn't it?

Discussion is great. Attempted insults really aren't. I love Johnny as a person; I think he's a truly great guitarist/collaborator. But his solo material pales in comparison to Morrissey's. And his appearance in The Messenger video is about the most toe-curlingly embarrassing thing I had ever seen. He's not half as hip as he thinks he is. Or as some other people seem to think.

Discussion is great. Attempted insults really aren't. I love Johnny as a person; I think he's a truly great guitarist/collaborator. But his solo material pales in comparison to Morrissey's

Yes, yes, Johnny Marr's not as good as Morrissey. Morrissey's the best!!!! Morrissey's the best!!!!

his appearance in The Messenger video is about the most toe-curlingly embarrassing thing I had ever seen. He's not half as hip as he thinks he is. Or as some other people seem to think.

"Discussion is great. Attempted insults really aren't" ...apparently.

If some people seem to think you are hip, doesn't that make you hip? I thought that was how it worked? Anyway, in the context of comparing views expressed by Johnny in interviews to views expressed by Morrissey, it's more about not being a pillock and having some sort of clue.

The new songs I've heard are pretty good musically and make me think he needs to find a lyricist (not Morrissey), which is what I was expecting. I don't see what's wrong with the vocals though.

Johnny Marr continues to be a real class act and must be comfortable with his decision to leave Morrissey and The Smith's behind. Can you image having to deal with Morrissey in any business setting. I believe Morrissey is on a path of self destruction and it is only a matter of time before we unfortunately have another Ian Curtis.

I respectfully think you're speaking tosh

Discussion is great. Attempted insults really aren't. I love Johnny as a person; I think he's a truly great guitarist/collaborator. But his solo material pales in comparison to Morrissey's. And his appearance in The Messenger video is about the most toe-curlingly embarrassing thing I had ever seen. He's not half as hip as he thinks he is. Or as some other people seem to think.

Bit difficult not to regard yourself as hip when you're arguably the most influential British guitarist of the last 30 years. Of course we all have experience of being regarded in such high esteem. Now where's my Status Quo records?

But even more transparent and embarrassing than THAT, though, are the trolls who use any opportunity to criticise, attack and sneer at Morrissey, encouraged and accommodated by the mods and webmaster.

Johnny Marr on the Smiths : The headline says it all ...
Over and Over, Nothing but smiths talk .I know I'm a bad guy for pointing
out he has nothing else to talk about and after All this time it's getting sad.
although perhaps guilty of " just because he decided, over twenty-five years ago, to stop working with their idol "
WHAT has he done ??? no one wants to say ..Nothing
seeing moz twice this week in N.J - could J.M ever tour the way moz has and does ?

Johnny Marr on the Smiths : The headline says it all ...
Over and Over, Nothing but smiths talk .I know I'm a bad guy for pointing
out he has nothing else to talk about and after All this time it's getting sad.
although perhaps guilty of " just because he decided, over twenty-five years ago, to stop working with their idol "
WHAT has he done ??? no one wants to say ..Nothing
seeing moz twice this week in N.J - could J.M ever tour the way moz has and does ?

Marr gives a few responses to journalists who inevitably ask him about the Smiths, and suddenly it's "Nothing but Smiths talk...". Ridiculous. Journalists suck you into their articles with the Smiths references in their headlines, when in reality, Johnny would much rather discuss other issues including his more recent work.

In the brief experience I had talking with Johnny he seemed like a decent, genuine guy who actually gave a damn about his fans. I look forward to seeing him perform live again.

Marr gives a few responses to journalists who inevitably ask him about the Smiths, and suddenly it's "Nothing but Smiths talk...". Ridiculous. Journalists suck you into their articles with the Smiths references in their headlines, when in reality, Johnny would much rather discuss other issues including his more recent work.

In the brief experience I had talking with Johnny he seemed like a decent, genuine guy who actually gave a damn about his fans. I look forward to seeing him perform live again.

Translated -"I knew him first, and I knew him well'.
Please.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom