I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris enters UK chart at number 21

Who cares of the UK charts, the song is bloody good and we love it. End of story
Cheers Moz

Not good news I suppose.

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris enters the UK top 40 at number 21.

That's his worst performing lead-off single since Dagenham Dave in 1995...

It's not actually - the lead single was Thats How People Grow Up, which entered at 14, followed by All You Need Is Me at 24.

This is the 3rd single. Keep up.

Although this is the first time he's scored back-to-back non top 20 hits since 1997...

It's a real shame the single didn't chart higher, I can't say I'm really surprised, though. I truly hope the album fairs better, :guitar:

I posted this on the front page, but it applies here too. The reason for this is very simple....

It's almost impossible to purchase physical singles on many of the nation's high streets nowadays and people in general are much less likely to bother ordering them online than they are albums. The singles chart will forever be dominated by the sort of kid-friendly act which lends itself to a 79p Itunes download.

Irish Blood, You Have Killed Me etc did next to nothing on the download market but they came at a time where the average person could pop into Woolworths or Virgin or HMV or Asda to pick them up. Now HMV is the only one - very barely - remaining, and by no means do all of their stores still carry singles. Morrissey was never going to make the transition, not even with the healthy air-play this has received.

I posted this on the front page, but it applies here too. The reason for this is very simple....

It's almost impossible to purchase physical singles on many of the nation's high streets nowadays and people in general are much less likely to bother ordering them online than they are albums. The singles chart will forever be dominated by the sort of kid-friendly act which lends itself to a 79p Itunes download.

Irish Blood, You Have Killed Me etc did next to nothing on the download market but they came at a time where the average person could pop into Woolworths or Virgin or HMV or Asda to pick them up. Now HMV is the only one - very barely - remaining, and by no means do all of their stores still carry singles. Morrissey was never going to make the transition, not even with the healthy air-play this has received.

HMV is doing "very well" as it happens ! we all still sell singles and still do pretty good ! The moz singles did about the same as the last two on physical sales .. but if you look at the singles chart some of the songs have been out for ages and all the sales are on download - moz fans are not of the download era ! the album will go top 3 at least next week !

HMV is doing "very well" as it happens ! we all still sell singles and still do pretty good !/QUOTE]

I botched the language of my previous post, I'm afraid. I meant that it's barely remaining in the singles market, which seems to be the case with the rapidly declining shelf-space allocated in most HMV stores I've been into of late.

HMV is doing "very well" as it happens ! we all still sell singles and still do pretty good ! The moz singles did about the same as the last two on physical sales .. but if you look at the singles chart some of the songs have been out for ages and all the sales are on download - moz fans are not of the download era ! the album will go top 3 at least next week !

You might all sell singles but are they the singles people are trying to buy?

I know when I've been in my local HMV they have singles for the Top 10 and maybe two new big releases but that's it, but even in the HMV on Oxford Street (London) I had trouble finding All You Need Is Me.

That's why I ordered from recordstore this time.

Exactly. :(

Not good news I suppose.

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris enters the UK top 40 at number 21.

That's his worst performing lead-off single since Dagenham Dave in 1995...

Not really a fan of the song.

I thought that Something is Squeezing my Skull would have been a smarter choice for a lead off single to promote the album.

We don't have the singles chart in this town since Woolies was replaced by BnM Bargains :(

Disappointed about the chart position, but not surprised. I like the song, but I don't think any non-Moz fans would have heard it on the radio and been bowled over.

The only thing that surprises me about all of this is the fact that Morrissey's singles between Irish Blood, English Heart and That's How People Grow Up did so well. That's got nothing to do with the quality of the songs but rather the fact that, by the very nature of the singles chart, artists like Morrissey just don't fare well. When older artists release high profile new singles, they usually peak somewhere in the lower recesses of the top 40, and if it gets into the top 20 then it's done very well. Morrissey has been very lucky to get so many top 20 singles since 2004, but I think that that has just run its course. I would add, "but hopefully I'll be proven wrong", but I really don't care. I love Morrissey but, frankly, I think his drive to do well in the singles charts is quite embarassing.

The album charts, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. I'm predicting a number 1! :)

Singles are no longer the junkets of treasure that they once were. They are really mere marketing ploys for albums. Radio puts the single on a playlist four to five weeks before its physical release to encourage interest in a forthcoming LP.

The various avenues that music can now be purchased does not assist artists like Morrissey with the charts (ie ones with a broader demographic audience)
Paradoxically stuff like Rihanna's Umbrella can hang around the charts for around a year and rubbish like Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars comes in and out of the charts due to the downloading phenomena!

For an interesting article on how new music is plugged now the OMM had one yesterday about using TV shows:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/15/television-music-skins

Also a review of Morrisey's new LP (apologies if been shown before:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/15/morrissey-years-of-refusal

In conclusion though Number 21 is pretty shit for those of us who grew up with the top 40.
A poor choice of lead-off single for the album, (which this is- it is a good album track tho) and one of the underlying reasons of the relatively poor chart placing is that releasing 3 singles, two of which have already featured on a compilation, is a pretty poor way to treat your audience/ fans. Particularly when times are getting tough for a lot of people.

The only thing that surprises me about all of this is the fact that Morrissey's singles between Irish Blood, English Heart and That's How People Grow Up did so well. That's got nothing to do with the quality of the songs but rather the fact that, by the very nature of the singles chart, artists like Morrissey just don't fare well. When older artists release high profile new singles, they usually peak somewhere in the lower recesses of the top 40, and if it gets into the top 20 then it's done very well. Morrissey has been very lucky to get so many top 20 singles since 2004, but I think that that has just run its course. I would add, "but hopefully I'll be proven wrong", but I really don't care. I love Morrissey but, frankly, I think his drive to do well in the singles charts is quite embarassing.

The album charts, on the other hand, is another matter entirely. I'm predicting a number 1! :)

it's not really about an artist's age; it's about getting played on the radio. Madonna's in her 50's and she still gets number one singles.
U2 are close to Morrissey's age and their new one will do well coz it's getting loads of airplay...

It's all about sales, folks, and figures are just in, so here:

Lily Allen’s The Fear’s sales decline to 59,671, but that is enough to give it a third week at the top of the singles chart.

Meanwhile, Lady GaGa’s Just Dance spends its third consecutive week at number two, with sales of 41,602, raising its career tally to 412,878 while, having graduated to physical release, Alesha Dixon’s Breathe Slow climbs for the seventh week in a row, moving 5-3 (37,363 sales). It thus beats the number five peak of Dixon’s last hit The Boy Does Nothing.

Veteran dance doyens The Prodigy score the week’s highest new entry, debuting at number eight with Omen (23,307 sales) on their own Take Me To The Hospital label. It’s their 15th hit since 1991 debut Charly. They’re novices compared to Morrissey, a chart regular since 1983, who debuts at number 21 (9,978 sales) with I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris, the first single from his upcoming album, Years Of Refusal. It’s the 49 year old Mancunian’s 48th hit – 32 solo and 16 with the Smiths.

In the singles sector, the dominance of downloads is now almost total – it surpassed the 99% mark for the first time a fortnight ago, reaching 99.1%, with physical sales of just 20,408 CDs, 3,968 7-inch singles, 1,800 12-inch singles, 155 DVD videos and three cassettes. It also precipitated the first instance of the number one physical single – surprisingly, at this stage, Alexandra Burke’s Hallelujah - selling fewer than 2,000 copies. Burke’s single sold 1,981 copies on CD to dethrone The Fear (1,532 CD sales and 178 7-inch picture discs). This week, physical sales stage a rally, mostly thanks to Morrissey whose fans bought only 2,607 digital copies of his new hit I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris but shelled out for 5,396 CDs and 1,974 7-inchers, placing the track at number 79 on the download chart but number one on the CD, 7-inch and overall physical charts.

It – and the new St. Etienne release Method Of Modern Love, which also did well in both formats – helped the physical sector to gain 43.08% week-on-week to 37,679 sales, giving it a 1.44% share of the market. Overall singles sales of 2,611,939 were 4.4% down week-on-week, and 35.84% above same week 2008 sales of 1,922,803.

by Alan Jones (MW)

So Paris sold just under 10,000, which is really poor considering it being a lead-off single and it's huge airplay, by Morrissey standards.

It actually sold just about as much as the 2nd and 3rd singles off Ringleader.

here's some chart analysis from a leading expert!

A veteran of a very different kind arrives at Number 21 in the form of Morrissey who charts with brand new single 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris'. It is the first single from brand new album 'Years Of Refusal' which hits the shops this week, his first studio album since 2006s 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors' although he did of course score two chart hits last year which were taken from a Greatest Hits collection. Now that the initial flurry of excitement following his 2004 musical comeback has settled down, he seems to have slipped into a comfortable groove of scoring mid-table hits and selling enough albums off the back of them to keep his label and his fans happy. This isn't necessarily something to celebrate, he's dangerously close to developing Depeche Mode syndrome after all, but after 21 years as a solo star and 26 years in the music business overall the fact that his new releases still attract attention and comment is worthy of all the praise that is directed at him.

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chartwatch/2552/week-ending-february-21st-2009/

Back
Top Bottom