Morrissey Central "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING" (November 7, 2023)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING

You_Are_The_Quarry.jpg

You Are The Quarry will be 20 years old in 2024.

The album sold over 1 million copies.
Sweden #1
England #1*
Ireland #3
Norway #5
Finland #8
Portugal #10
USA #11

As usual, the album was not well received by the UK press, where it was certified as Platinum.
You Are The Quarry was the only album of 2004 that managed four top ten hit singles.
Irish Blood, English Heart #3
First Of The Gang To Die #6
Let me Kiss You #8
I Have Forgiven Jesus #10

There is no commemorative issue planned for You Are the Quarry, which was licensed to BMG UK in 2017 for new release.
BMG did not re-issue You Are the Quarry and have no plans to.

* = edited by Central to #2 after initial posting.
FWD.

If you want this CD, I'll send it to you on my dime. A friend left it at my place and I don't have anything to play it on. I just called him and told him what you wrote. He said to send it to you. If you want it, just private message me an address to send it to.
View attachment 97478
well done housework,good to see a good deed on here.

View attachment 97476As a teenager in the 90s I started collecting Morrissey CDs. And with the mp3 boom in the mid 2000s I stupidly got rid of my cd collection. Since then I’ve managed to recover almost all of them including multiple singles. You Are The Quarry seems to always be out of stock at the record stores (I try not to order online). I will find you YATQ
Look on ebay and you can still find sealed copies of the cd and dvd edition.
Or get the Enhanced edition with the disc of great b-sides 👍

Quarry will be twenty years old next year but what is getting really old is this prehistoric attachment to record labels that is not working for him. Start your own label Morrissey and quit whining.

tesco.
friday night.
checkout.
£9.99.
home.
press play.
definitely not another stifled friday night.

His last great album (I’m not keep on the intro track… it’s listenable and I appreciate the premise of the lyrics, but overall… zzz). Ringleader was good, but after that it was obvious the ship was taking on water. Still a good track here and there over time, but he’s not reached the level of Quarry as a full length since, imo.
As I have said ad nauseam here, the intro track is awful. Most of the tracks are good but not great. Years of Refusal is far superior in my opinion for an album close to that era but Dog on chain is even better!

Thank you. My new friend Light Housework is sending me a nice cd tomorrow. The enhanced edition sounds tempting

Oh dear, we see it now, don't we? It really was the end. That last quick gasp to ensure SG and Malad didn't completely define the end of the solo era.

I remember Mr Shandy and I being as happy as we ever were at the MEN homecoming that evening.

Cyril from Eccles had thrown us handfuls of badges from the seats and we danced the night away, clinging to each other as if it would never end - oh . . . that sprig of parsley (?) hanging from his crotch. Everything seemed possible . . .

Thank you. My new friend Light Housework is sending me a nice cd tomorrow. The enhanced edition sounds tempting
Glad you got one, if you've got Swords LP all the enhanced tracks are on there. Its a very under appreciated LP i think, full of great tunes.

A bit of a disgrace if Quarry doesn't get a reissue, especially on vinyl. It would surely sell well.

Darn it, so wanted a re-release, I have it on CD, but would love it on vinyl, and the prices online for the vinyl are mad.

Several promotional appearances on tv, large page adverts in the print media, songs played on the radio, so wtf is he on about again? Press coined it a Return to Glory, yet here he is again taking aim at another label and the press. What a spectacular fall from grace we are seeing. He’s a bitter, sad aul bastard now. Really really tragic what he’s turned into. That hardcore fan base is probably double figures now. By hardcore I’m referring to the radicalised who will agree with everything he says and does, in addition to saying every gig or tv appearance is amazing.
But Dickie spawned a monster in October, by saying, the man is at the height of his powers and his audience at the height of fandom. I'm confused.

Last edited:
Darn it, so wanted a re-release, I have it on CD, but would love it on vinyl, and the prices online for the vinyl are mad.
I have it as digipack, jewel case, silver double CD and vinyl (yes my friends) but I would gladly give me hard earned money for a Quarry boxset, containing the complete Cherokee demos, Home is? demo, b-sides or session tracks (Noisy revenge, Playing easy).

This will never happen in his life time. He would rather change the running order and exclude "I like you" for "Candle".

Last edited:
He is correct, it didn’t get glowing reviews. I don’t remember a single five-star being awarded. It was mostly three and four star verdicts—and it didn’t deserve any better.

The good tracks were excellent but the filler was awful: I always found it an uneven and frustrating listen. I’d have to wait another ten years for a stellar record.

i bought both,the deluxe edition had the better cover out of the two,had a silvery look to it.

Here's an overview of YAtQ reviews, which is pretty good:

He is correct, it didn’t get glowing reviews. I don’t remember a single five-star being awarded. It was mostly three and four star verdicts—and it didn’t deserve any better.

The good tracks were excellent but the filler was awful: I always found it an uneven and frustrating listen. I’d have to wait another ten years for a stellar record.
Unless you expect a flurry of five star reviews to be your birthright, "mostly three and four star reviews" is pretty decent going. Even NME gave it 8/10.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom