Cliff Richard to play free New York show to make up for Morrissey cancellation (June 21, 2014)

Is it the Gramercy Park Hotel? So Cliff's response to the cancellation was to say to his agent: "Ring round and find me a room for hire in New York that's available on the same evening". And so, a presumably small cluster of his most ardent fans will get a relaxed intimate gig in a hotel bar to wipe away their disappointment, maybe in the company of a few curious New Yorkers who can't say no to free tickets.

When I woke up this morning, I never expected to be envious of Cliff Richard fans.

It is the Gramercy Theatre, NOT the hotel bar...

Look, he has to get himself better first and thats not going to happen overnight. Of course, getting
yourself better could mean going out of the house - that was a dig as obviously he should get out !

Morrissey thinks a lot about his fans. What a joke post. There is no point arranging
shows when you are not very well, surely !

In person, Morrissey may be great this fans. Always very pleasant when I have met him.

But when it comes to money, fans are far from his mind. Look at all the reissues. So many opportunities to make it such an amazing release but instead he adds a few pictures. Who cares

Some nice comments on Cliff's actions here. Nice to see his actions appreciated, I'm sure those who spent a lot of money booking flights fom the UK will

I wonder if Cliffs playing this because he stands to lose money from the cancellation and can at least break even if he plays ?

I can guarantee you that it's not a gesture based on possible loss of money from the cancellation. Cliff loves to perform, and he is a true gentleman and a real professional at what he does. One of the reasons that he has such a loyal following of fans from all walks of life is that he is a genuinely kind guy who connects with them on a personal level, and gives the best of himself in everything that he does. Top stuff Sir Cliff!

I don't really know, but probably a substantial part of his costs will be met by the insurance, because flights and accommodation will already have been booked, and he will have been paying for rehearsal space and wages. So he gets to recoup that. He's presumably putting his hand in his pocket to hire the venue and pay his band on the night. Which is pocket change, if you're him.

He's doing it mainly because he's not well known in America and doesn't normally get invited to play there, so he was excited about the gig and gutted about it being cancelled. Secondarily, because he knows some of his British fans have already paid for flights and hotel rooms.

To put it another way, Cliff Richard has made a statement explaining why he is doing the gig and, although Morrissey fans might find this difficult to relate to, there's no good reason not to take what he has said at face value.

I wonder if Cliffs playing this because he stands to lose money from the cancellation and can at least break even if he plays ?

He might really care about fans who may have been coming to see him. They will get a very nice intimate concert and it makes him look like a hero. He might have been looking forward to the show and really was disappointed. I think he has enough money that he doesn't have to worry about that. I mean everyone thinks of money but it seems to me that he is giving his fans a nice treat

It really is great that Cliff is doing this. It really is aimed at his fans, and will likely only be of interest to them. It's going to be an interview (by Phil Silverstone), and a few songs. He will only have his keyboardis, Keith Hayman, and one of his backing vocalists, Suzie Furlonger. The reason I'm pointing this out is that some web articles are indicating that it's a FREE CONCERT, a 'proper' concert, and it's not.

He might really care about fans who may have been coming to see him. They will get a very nice intimate concert and it makes him look like a hero. He might have been looking forward to the show and really was disappointed. I think he has enough money that he doesn't have to worry about that. I mean everyone thinks of money but it seems to me that he is giving his fans a nice treat

I think it is extremely thoughtful and really kind and sweet of him .

What can I say? I know nothing about Morrissey, I've never even heard of him before. I know a lot about Cliff and he's really a very nice person. Lucky are the people who will see him on stage, he can make people happy easily and he never ever disappoints.

Oh Cliff, you poor, deluded fool. As if any one in the United States of Obesity would ever drag themselves away from the telly to attend one of your concerts, free or not. You continue to make a fool of yourself, and as the setlist drags on and the seats filled with wandering pedestrians grow emptier and emptier, hopefully you will realize your time has passed you by. Enjoy your five milliseconds of fame while it lasts, you loathsome oaf

-Moz

Our Cliff is good 'un. So many of his devoted fans were travelling to USA from as far as Australia and Uk, flights are expensive and cannot be cancelled, so Cliff is doing this small intimate gig for them, plus any others who like to come along, I believe it holds 600 people. We are all sorry to hear that Morrissey is ill and wish him well, but to Cliff fans he is our main man.

What is wonderful about Cliff Richard is that he didn't need this cancelled concert to show his generosity or strength of character. He has been this nice and this considerate of his fans since the very beginning of his career. Anyone that knows and follows him knows this, and that is just one of the many wonderful things about the man that make his fans so loyal to him. He is a genuinely nice person, and has always been. People that have been narrow minded about him or his music have been missing out, in a big way, for a very long time. It takes more than musical talent for a career to last as long, and be as strongly followed, as his. Maybe it's time for America to join the rest of the world and recognize him for the great performer that he is. Just sayin'!

Venue only holds 499. Even though I am a ticket holder, I am a little bit worried about the capacity, especially with all the press it is getting. Might be a lot of curious folks that aren't really fans showing up and bumping the real fans for the space. Let's hope not, but hope Cliff gets a full house of the people that really appreciate him for who he is (and has always been)!

Oh Cliff, you poor, deluded fool. As if any one in the United States of Obesity would ever drag themselves away from the telly to attend one of your concerts, free or not. You continue to make a fool of yourself, and as the setlist drags on and the seats filled with wandering pedestrians grow emptier and emptier, hopefully you will realize your time has passed you by. Enjoy your five milliseconds of fame while it lasts, you loathsome oaf

-Moz

Oh Moz , you poor deluded fool. When anyone does drag themselves away from the telly to attend one of your concerts that sometimes cost them a lot of money you don't show up or you cancel.You continue to delude the people and make a fool of yourself, and as the set list seldom changes and is way too short there are attendees who are subjected to violence, injuries or abused by security .Maybe those you have cancelled on will never return. Hopefully you will realize Cliff Richard is much kinder and more thoughtful towards his audience and that you very well may not have much time left nor sell too many tickets after the last stunts . Enjoy preying on troubled people , pretending to understand them at a safe distance while enjoying your five star hotels. I hope your bodyguards keep you warm at night . You heartless, hypocritical narcissist.

Very classy indeed. No way, no how would Morrissey even think about making this type of gesture to his fans.

I went to another free Moz show in San Bernardino at the Hyundai Pavilion on Halloween, 2004. He was scheduled to appear at the same venue earlier that summer as part of KROQ's summer 'weenie roast' event... billed as an 80's flashback thing with The Cure, and I think Siouxsie (?) on the same bill. He cancelled (natch), but rescheduled a make-good show (with The Dears opening) in the Fall. Tickets were honored for the KROQ thing, but may have been selling them separately as well (don't remember). A day or two before the show, KROQ announced that it was free to everyone who showed up... being Halloween and all, many of the original ticket holders couldn't make it (that's how I got my tickets actually, a friend's older brother with tickets had to take his kids trick-or-treating). Me and and a car full of my pals drove out to San Berdo for what ended being one of the best Morrissey showed I've ever seen (been to about 20 or so). Honoring Halloween, He was dressed as a priest, the lads in nun's habits, the whole Quarry/Elvis '68 thing was happening with the red letter backdrop, and the set list (Munich Air Disaster!!)... WOW. Initially the free tickets holders were placed on the lawn section, but before Moz when on, they released all the seats and my friend's rushed down to join me.
So, I no idea whether this was a kind gesture from Morrissey's camp, or the result of circumstance and bad ticket sales, but it's a sweet memory nonetheless. And as long as the music is still good (which it is - the new songs have been stellar!), I'll keep coming back.

why are all the cliff fans coming to morrisey forum to wax lyrical, what is the point, doesnt he have his own forum?

As Morrissey said in Hamburg 2009:

Then nearer the end (og the gig) he mentioned seeing a poster outside with him on one side and Cliff Richard on the other. This prompted him to remark "he is 72 and I look older than him..."

Had a great night with cliff , a lot off his fans had bought tickets for the morrissey gig, a class act very supprised how good he was. Hope the 2 70 year old ladies who drove down from Canada on the day, with no tickets got in true devotion.

Back
Top Bottom