Alain Whyte: Band update (June 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230616-165701.png

1686931063262.jpg

1686931065886.jpg

1686931068090.jpg

Screenshot_20230617-114140.png

Regards,
FWD.

Saw this news on IG and it threw me for a Loop. I'll definitely check out their music.
But not a word on why this exodus from the Morrissey camp? Not acrimonious, but...?

And who are the band members for the upcoming tour dates??

With the current turmoil in the Morrissey camp - not the touring side but definitely the recording side/future with a label/etc. - I can understand why Alain left. It certainly is not the same band atmosphere today as when he left in the early '00s. After he left the band at that time, I believe Alain won a Grammy for a co-write on a song for a pop artist, it's obvious he wants to play music on his own terms.

Regarding Gustavo, the guy is loaded with musical talent. It doesn't appear that Gustavo played on both California Son and BOT - why? His work (and influence) on both World Peace and LIHS is tremendous, from NC Drops Dead to Spent the Day to Girl From Tel-Aviv to In Your Lap. Why would he NOT be included to record on CS and BOT? Since World Peace, Gustavo has been a big upgrade to the Morrissey sound, so it really makes no sense to not include him on those two recent recordings. He deserves to be regarded as very important in any band that he's in, and he certainly was the MVP in the Morrissey Band.

I was really disappointed when both of them left, but I understand why. They want work, recognition, and money - as a talented pro should. This isn't poaching. Both of them are quite talented in their own right, and didn't need to 'back up Morrissey' to become known.

Last edited:
Saw this news on IG and it threw me for a Loop. I'll definitely check out their music.
But not a word on why this exodus from the Morrissey camp? Not acrimonious, but...?

And who are the band members for the upcoming tour dates??
It would seem it's going to be the same, apart from Alain and Gustavo, plus the two girls.

Last edited:
With the current turmoil in the Morrissey camp - not the touring side but definitely the recording side/future with a label/etc. - I can understand why Alain left. It certainly is not the same band atmosphere today as when he left in the early '00s. After he left the band at that time, I believe Alain won a Grammy for a co-write on a song for a pop artist, it's obvious he wants to play music on his own terms.

Regarding Gustavo, the guy is loaded with musical talent. It doesn't appear that Gustavo played on both California Son and BOT - why? His work (and influence) on both World Peace and LIHS is tremendous, from NC Drops Dead to Spent the Day to Girl From Tel-Aviv to In Your Lap. Why would he NOT be included to record on CS and BOT? Since World Peace, Gustavo has been a big upgrade to the Morrissey sound, so it really makes no sense to not include him on those two recent recordings. He deserves to be regarded as very important in any band that he's in, and he certainly was the MVP in the Morrissey Band.

I was really disappointed when both of them left, but I understand why. They want work, recognition, and money - as a talented pro should. This isn't poaching. Both of them are quite talented in their own right, and didn't need to 'back up Morrissey' to become known.
Who cares ? Is like any job if you are not happy or they don't need you. The door is open 😺. I'm here for Morrissey not the others

Why is he not a nice guy? Have you ever met him? I DOUBT IT. All you go by is delusional lies based on perceptions posted on this forum. Why is Jesse not a very nice guy? And it’s disgusting to say he’s white as snow, what is wrong with you? Maybe he should hire security, some of you sound obsessed.
yes i have met him, i spent quite a bit of time with him, not that i need to prove it to you. do you suppose he lives in utter isolation or something? personally i think you are the weird one. believe me, don't believe me, only americans don't understand that there are white people from and in mexico.

It would seem it's going to be the same, apart from Alain and Gustavo, plus the two girls.
I do remember news about one female member joining the band. Who's the other?
And are they songwriters or just players?

(Yes I can Google or search the site, but I'd prefer to hear it explained from a fan).

I'd say the lyrics are the main problem with solo Alain.
He's sung a few Morrissey/Smiths songs pretty well IMO including this one...

In my opinion 'Well I Wonder' is a contender for the best song by The Smiths.

Time hasn't diminished it one iota. Its lyrics exists outside of the tarnished aura now irrevocably shrouding Morrissey.

It could be sing by any singer from any genre. As and when the AI algorithms ramp up and become accessible to all I will be experimenting with Celine Dion's 'version' of this.

This version featuring Alain Whyte is lovely.

I have been away. I am 'out of the loop'. Why did all these people leave the band shortly after recording WMTWD? Only to regroup without Morrissey? Was there some kind of 'drama'? A big row? I shall investigate the threads to play 'catch up'!

Kind regards

BrummieBoy

In my opinion 'Well I Wonder' is a contender for the best song by The Smiths.

Time hasn't diminished it one iota. Its lyrics exists outside of the tarnished aura now irrevocably shrouding Morrissey.

It could be sing by any singer from any genre. As and when the AI algorithms ramp up and become accessible to all I will be experimenting with Celine Dion's 'version' of this.

This version featuring Alain Whyte is lovely.

I have been away. I am 'out of the loop'. Why did all these people leave the band shortly after recording WMTWD? Only to regroup without Morrissey? Was there some kind of 'drama'? A big row? I shall investigate the threads to play 'catch up'!

Kind regards

BrummieBoy

It's a very lovely song in general. Alain performs it here with such finesse. This is one of my faves from his batch of YouTube Smiths covers.

It would have to be more like 70% Morrissey. This is in many ways a Morrissey tribute act, just that the musicians are better, but I reckon only slightly. I don't know how many people would pay to watch a relative unwell-know group of musicians play solo material.
Interesting...perhaps they can persuade Rick Astley to join them to 'kick-start' this new venture by doing a couple of karaoke special gigs covering Morrissey's solo songs?

The tribute to 'The Smiths' gig at Kentish Town Forum was brilliant. It's a shame Rick Astley and The Blossoms weren't persuaded to bring that set to Glastonbury this Sunday afternoon.

Steve Hackett, a genius guitarist and original band member, sells out huge tours revisiting-reimagining Genesis classics without the presence of either Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, using Nad Sylvan as a 'better than the real thing' proxy.

Perhaps Alain Whyte can find an equally stellar replacement for Morrissey? I mean, after a few pints, how many people really care who's singing so long as they can hold a tune and throw shapes? Deft use of documentary historic visuals from tours could add to the immersive illusion and quite a few people, including me, would enjoy a reasonably priced nostalgic night out without having to deal with Morrissey's politically 'problematic issues', not to mention his absurd 'A-List pricing for a C-list heritage act'.

I glanced at Ticketmaster UK this afternoon and there are tickets available for every single show. Not surprisingly given the prices. Clearly the attempt to generate 'artificial scarcity' and 'panic buying' by announcing bogus sell-outs didn't work so the seats are being released in dribs and drabs to make it appear as if these gigs are sold out when there's probably 50% of inventory still on reseller websites waiting to be shifted.

Why do artists be party to this fraudulent nonsense?

The 'tribute band' industry is going to be growing as ticket prices for 'real' gigs become ever more inflated. Perhaps Alain Whyte has a plan and a strategy to re-monetise his contributions to Morrissey's solo career without dealing with whatever the issues were that made him pull the plug...again. Good luck to him!

Kind regards

BrummieBoy

'Although many bands still tour nowadays, ticket prices can be extremely expensive depending on the musician that you want to see. Some people just really love live music, and with cover and tribute bands, you are able to see that in local establishments rather than at large music venues....

...The major connection between tribute bands and music therapy is that there is an aspect of psychology behind the reason that these bands bring people so much comfort and nostalgia. Music that you have known for a long time is stored in the deepest parts of your brain, so nothing can ever take that away from you– even Alzheimers or some sort of damage to the brain...

...Cover bands can trick the brain into thinking that they are hearing an old song for the first time when it is played by a cover band, which can evoke the same emotions that you felt when you heard your favorite song that first time, so long ago. It creates a combination of the new and the old, which brains love.'

https://www.incadence.org/post/what-are-tribute-bands-and-why-are-they-so-popular

'For example, Ticketmaster creates artificial market conditions by secretly holding tickets back from sale to the public. In some cases, half of the seats to an event are sold by “slow ticketing,” where tickets are gradually released to create a buying frenzy at higher prices.'

https://www.aei.org/op-eds/will-congress-pick-up-where-doj-left-off-and-stop-ticketmaster-monopoly/#:~:text=For example, Ticketmaster creates artificial,buying frenzy at higher prices.

How to Sell More Tickets Using the Principle of Scarcity

https://www.accesso.com/learn/how-to-sell-more-tickets-using-the-principle-of-scarcity

Last edited:
I do remember news about one female member joining the band. Who's the other?
And are they songwriters or just players?

(Yes I can Google or search the site, but I'd prefer to hear it explained from a fan).
New guitarist.

New keyboard player.

I think one of them is also a songwriter and a singer? Someone else might remember better than me.

Juan and Brendan have kept sharing Morrissey content so they seem to still be on board!

Before coming back to the Morrissey Band, didn't Alain post a few recently recorded and original tracks featuring Gary Day, Spencer, Craig Gannon (?) and himself? So, it seems like Gustavo is joining a group already in progress.

Before coming back to the Morrissey Band, didn't Alain post a few recently recorded and original tracks featuring Gary Day, Spencer, Craig Gannon (?) and himself? So, it seems like Gustavo is joining a group already in progress.
Yes, he did. :)

Alain put up a reel on Facebook and he is practicing Glamorous Glue! :guitar::love::sweet::ahhh::highfive::yum::bow:😍💥🔥⚡
His voice sounds pretty good too. I would much rather see this than Morrissey and his fake Robert Palmer with chicks band.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom