Alain Whyte: Band update (June 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230616-165701.png

1686931063262.jpg

1686931065886.jpg

1686931068090.jpg

Screenshot_20230617-114140.png

Regards,
FWD.

I buy into the idea that M had the best line-up in a while (not best ever) on basisthe of the professional qualities of the musicians but I was also told by some who attended that there wasn’t a strong band dybamic during the last tour. Last year’s UK tour was pretty awesome though (I was there).
Agree with you on everything else.
🤔I think is was more like old rockabilly sound with Alain and the others. The best line up was with the two brothers. I forgot their last name and Jesse, boz. Watch the clip of the songs you gonna need some one in your side. And how soon, etc the band were really on fire.!! Love to watch it over and over they were rocking it. !!

I would too.
Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
Thank God I never like the sound of Gustavo and his voice. Too Different from mozz stuff

Whereas Morrissey is singing as well as he ever has but, f*** me, most of the songs are shite.
If only there was some way both sides could come together… Jesse! Sling yer hook!
Rude mate. Jesse deserves a prize for being loyal to Morrissey. That is a true friend.!

Moz needs to leave his own band and join this new band. Then give old Boz a call and get him to take a plane from Portugal. Only with this power can they tempt him from the evil clutches of Jesse.

🤔I think is was more like old rockabilly sound with Alain and the others. The best line up was with the two brothers. I forgot their last name and Jesse, boz. Watch the clip of the songs you gonna need some one in your side. And how soon, etc the band were really on fire.!! Love to watch it over and over they were rocking it. !!
I found the sound that Alain brought to the band refreshing, and as you said, going back to earlier sound (y) Boz, Jesse, Slomon, Matt and Gustavo played together for a long time and became a tight unit. Matt in particular, he was an awesome drummer.

Moz needs to leave his own band and join this new band. Then give old Boz a call and get him to take a plane from Portugal. Only with this power can they tempt him from the evil clutches of Jesse.
Then they will be playing rockabillies from the 60s or so. Not Morrissey 😄 I'm out.

i think its weird how much this board hates jesse, blames jesse, assumes jesse is causing problems with the other bandmates, whines he needs to leave etc. moz is the one causing problems. jesse is not a very nice guy but he's smart as hell and for whatever reason he's decided to be loyal af to morrissey too. also dude is white as f***ing snow, so crying racism seems a bit thick too, and don't give me this "he's mexican" nonsense like being mexican is a race. it's NOT.

Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
My first thought when hearing about Gustavo joining Alain's band was whether Moz might feel he had "stolen" him. But really, is that even possible? No offense to Alain, but being in Morrissey's band is very obviously the better gig.

It also seems that Alain used his touring time with Morrissey to reconnect with his former pals + steal a band member from Morrissey.
I just wished that Alain and Gus would have finished the tours with Morrissey in 2023 before moving on with their own project / side project. I know it is selfish.
Alain's post kinda makes it sound like that, but they were in a band together before he rejoined Moz, so not much "reconnecting" was needed for sure!

i think its weird how much this board hates jesse, blames jesse, assumes jesse is causing problems with the other bandmates, whines he needs to leave etc. moz is the one causing problems. jesse is not a very nice guy but he's smart as hell and for whatever reason he's decided to be loyal af to morrissey too. also dude is white as f***ing snow, so crying racism seems a bit thick too, and don't give me this "he's mexican" nonsense like being mexican is a race. it's NOT.
Why is he not a nice guy? Have you ever met him? I DOUBT IT. All you go by is delusional lies based on perceptions posted on this forum. Why is Jesse not a very nice guy? And it’s disgusting to say he’s white as snow, what is wrong with you? Maybe he should hire security, some of you sound obsessed.

Then they will be playing rockabillies from the 60s or so. Not Morrissey 😄 I'm out.
Nope, they will be playing the great Moz tunes they wrote with him. The Jesse band can keep all the Jesse penned songs.

I have nothing against Spencer or any of the lads and I love "Lost" but really, a B-side from decades ago doesn't change anything. After Morrissey, he didn't stay in the music industry. Not one of them is a viable recording artist in their own right, all they have is the Morrissey connection. At this point Gary et al are not even signing up to be 'sidemen' to a star, they're the chief sideman's assistants.

It's like watching someone trying to relive 1991 in an alternate universe where they get to be Morrissey. Even to the extent where they are collecting his old Smiths bandmates to complete the picture. It's bizarre, borderline-delusional wish fulfillment, and I'm surprised that people want to go see that live.
Ouch, that's harsh. Not saying I entirely disagree. But, a few counterpoints:
Alain, Gary and Spencer had a band before they joined Moz, right? So their connection predates him.
Morrissey really is a big cultural figure, so it's pretty normal imo that musicians associated with will then be famous essentially only due to that connection, and that they would therefore appeal to it make a living in the music industry.
And "Morrissey" isn't just Moz himself, but it's really also a band called "Morrissey", and they have been members of this famous band and to a large degree it constitutes their career. This is especially true in the case of Alain, who has done most of his writing with/for Morrissey. He is very much entitled to play those songs.

Last edited:
Why is he not a nice guy? Have you ever met him? I DOUBT IT. All you go by is delusional lies based on perceptions posted on this forum. Why is Jesse not a very nice guy? And it’s disgusting to say he’s white as snow, what is wrong with you? Maybe he should hire security, some of you sound obsessed.
They are jealous and insecure . If you don't like me don't look at me!. 🎶🎶

Yeah, there were obviously problems for Gus before, and Alain was indeed probably just the catalyst and not the cause of his departure.
I don't generally have a lot of sympathy for modern day Morrissey and the mess he's got himself into. Was just pointing out that Alain re-joining the fold was a very rare bit of recent good news in the Morrissey world. Alain leaving would have been pretty bad - but losing Gus too makes things even worse than they were before Alain's return.
Hopefully, some good will come out of it though. It might prompt him into accepting a more realistic record deal (that befits someone who sells what he does in 2023 and not what he sold before 2019), or the new band members might turn out to be great songwriters, and having women on board for the first time might also turn out to be a positive step forward.
Maybe there were no issues at all between Gus and Moz, maybe after more than 10 years he simply needed and change and work with something else! Musicians are not the singer's personal property. As far as I'm concerned I think it is good that mo changes his entire now and then! I simply hope he will add another member who can play multiple instruments as Gustavo did.

And if he’s pissed off with Alain, he’ll just do the songs that Jesse wrote + that cover of suspicious minds. And of course, “I ex love you”.
Honestly hoping that Morrissey knows better though.
There was this Instagram story the new keyboard player posted, that it showed she was learning one of Alain's new songs. I think.

Maybe there were no issues at all between Gus and Moz, maybe after more than 10 years he simply needed and change and work with something else! Musicians are not the singer's personal property. As far as I'm concerned I think it is good that mo changes his entire now and then! I simply hope he will add another member who can play multiple instruments as Gustavo did.
I don’t know. It’s weird to leave someone of Morrissey’s stature to join what is basically the equivalent of a local dad garage band.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom