Can men and women be friends?

Can men and women be friends? I mean, really good friends or best friends? Or, is it always the case that at least one will fall for the other? Is there always going to be a sexual tension there? Or not?

What can make these types of friendships successful?

Do you have a best friend of the opposite sex? What makes it work for you?
honestly? I think its easier for me to be friends with a woman if I don't really want to sleep with them :straightface:
wait, what am I saying I am not friends with the women I sleep with, maybe :confused: in a way, I mean clearly I am friendly with them :blushing:
but yeah, a lot of that is just because I want to get in their pants :eek: sorry, that's some real conversation for you :o
not that any of this really works for me though, I mean often after I sleep with someone I realize thats all I really was into about them
then on the other hand are the women I have become friends with and suddenly something happens and we have sex, every time this happens I am shocked
I really just thought they wanted to be friends, but no, there are women that pull that routine too :crazy:
so in answer to your first question, gotta say:
I don't think so, but I hope I am wrong :thumb:

Last edited:
honestly? I think its easier for me to be friends with a woman if I don't really want to sleep with them :straightface:
wait, what am I saying I am not friends with the woman I sleep with, maybe :confused: in a way, I mean clearly I am friendly with them :blushing:
but yeah, a lot of that is just because I want to get in their pants :eek: sorry, that's some real conversation for you :o
not that any of this really works for me though, I mean often after I sleep with someone I realize thats all I really was into about them
then on the other hand are the women I have become friends with and suddenly something happens and we have sex, every time this happens I am shocked
I really just thought they wanted to be friends, but no, there are women that pull that routine too :crazy:
so in answer to your first question, gotta say:
I don't think so, but I hope I am wrong :thumb:

Your excessive use of smileys will forever prohibit me from reading your posts. So unless you're a 14 year old teenie bopper (in which case, we'll have to make arrangements to meet), you'd do well to be rid of them. Because you want me reading your posts. I am that important.

Every male best friend I have had has fallen in love with me. I loved them as well, but not in a sexual or romantic way. Looking back on it now, it wasn't always because I was involved at the time, that I did not fall for them as well. They just were missing something. They made great friends though. Maybe I was too stupid or picky back then. Let go of some great guys. I think that was definitely the case. I bet they are all happily married now.

reading back now, hmm, perhaps you are using "falling in love" a little more than I would? :straightface:
I mean I really don't know if I am "in love" with a woman til I've slept with them :cool:
sorry, before then its all wrapped with lust or not as the case may be, like I alluded to in my first post, really its best when women I know are unavailable or there is not much spark there
then we can be friends :thumb:
however, I realize that there are likely a lot of guys out there that use the whole: "I think I am falling in love with you" thing :crazy:
even before they have slept with someone :rolleyes:
maybe I should not be so dismissive of that, but its just not my way, whatever works I guess :guitar:

reading back now, hmm, perhaps you are using "falling in love" a little more than I would? :straightface:
I mean I really don't know if I am "in love" with a woman til I've slept with them :cool:
sorry, before then its all wrapped with lust or not as the case may be, like I alluded to in my first post, really its best when women I know are unavailable or there is not much spark there
then we can be friends :thumb:
however, I realize that there are likely a lot of guys out there that use the whole: "I think I am falling in love with you" thing :crazy:
even before they have slept with someone :rolleyes:
maybe I should not be so dismissive of that, but its just not my way, whatever works I guess :guitar:

Well my girlfriend and I were friends from the age 10. We even had feelings for each other back then and they never went away. Through those 10 years we weren't always physically together, but I still loved her. 10 years later (this year), we started a physical relationship because we lived a lot closer and a bit more mature, but none of my feelings changed. I didn't suddenly think "oh, I love her even more because we are more physically involved with each other".

It's my opinion, but I think that if a man needs physical contact to fall in love, something is wrong.

Well my girlfriend and I were friends from the age 10. We even had feelings for each other back then and they never went away. Through those 10 years we weren't always physically together, but I still loved her. 10 years later (this year), we started a physical relationship because we lived a lot closer and a bit more mature, but none of my feelings changed. I didn't suddenly think "oh, I love her even more because we are more physically involved with each other".

It's my opinion, but I think that if a man needs physical contact to fall in love, something is wrong.
well, shoot man, if I suppose you are talking about some woman you have known since 10 that a different scenario then what most people are dealing with, aint it mate? :)
what I am speaking against is the more likely occurence of a man saying:"I love you" to a woman just so he can sleep with her :cool:
this happens all the time, likely often without the man knowing that is why :eek: I'd say most other men I know are clueless about this and confuse lust with love
I just go the other way, since my divorce and reserve my deeper feelings til after something has become "serious"
its not easy and I don't always succeed :blushing: but it just better for me than pining for some woman for years and years on end :crazy:
different strokes* for different folks though :thumb:

*=as I write this I realize that being such a kind of man might be exactly why so many of Moz's lyrics appeal to so many men here
perhaps that is the difference between seeing them as a statement of "thats just the way it is" where as I hear them as a warning to do better....

Last edited:
Of course they can. Looking back over both my more casual friendships and close friendships, it's pretty much a 50/50 split between men and women. Then again, I've always had "progressive" views towards gender and strive to treat people exactly the same way regardless of what gender they are.

Back
Top Bottom