"Autobiography" by Morrissey – #1 for the third week in the UK paperback non-fiction chart

You've heard of "hate watching"? The message board equivalent of that. I only wish I had their amount of free time.

Ditto. The folly of calling out those who accept Morrissey is human as sycophants while entrenching themselves in a dream world of expectation (whereby folks are flawless) is one of the more entertainingly absurd and dotty aspects of this message board.

This is something I've been meaning to ask the (more literate) haters for a while -- who are the artists they love that are so agreeable, well-balanced and maintain decades-long careers, producing new work at a consistently high level of quality? Does such a human even exist? None of my favourite artists are particularly likable, and that's fine with me. I live with their work, I don't live with them. Morrissey has probably about as many true friends as a "normal" person. His prickly, misanthropic side is balanced with heartfelt words and singing that few modern artists can match. He hasn't sold out, he makes no concessions to industry/fame BS. What the eff else do people want!? I think the haters are overestimating the sycophancy quotient on this site.

I am not hater. Hope this wasn't addressed to me. I am a realist. I don't have ANY heroes. Love his music. No other musical artist comes close, imo. The man is flawed. As I said numerous times, we all all. I have no illusions that he should be perfect. Or delusions that he IS. My point was that, unfortunately, so many others do.

Overestimating the sycophancy here? Are you kidding me?

Overestimating the sycophancy - exactly right King Leer well put, thanks for your post.

I had to stop coming here because of the haters, I just found the place too depressing.

I'm drawn back here because of the Autobiography, I wanted to see how it was received here.

King Leer asks a great question of the haters.
Who do you think is better and less disappointing than Morrissey?
Why are you wasting your time here? Off you pop!
Your negativity will kill you in the end.

I don't mind constructive criticism, it's all good, but some of the stuff on here is just... well... hateful.

It does seem to be a bit better on here... (or is it??) I see one poster seems to be absent thank goodness (don't want to tell tales out of school but name started with an 'S') hopefully he got bored in the end and went elsewhere to spread his bad vibes.

Anyway, the book is great - so pleased it's doing well!

Overestimating the sycophancy - exactly right King Leer well put, thanks for your post.

I had to stop coming here because of the haters, I just found the place too depressing.

I'm drawn back here because of the Autobiography, I wanted to see how it was received here.

King Leer asks a great question of the haters.
Who do you think is better and less disappointing than Morrissey?
Why are you wasting your time here? Off you pop!
Your negativity will kill you in the end.

I don't mind constructive criticism, it's all good, but some of the stuff on here is just... well... hateful.

It does seem to be a bit better on here... (or is it??) I see one poster seems to be absent thank goodness (don't want to tell tales out of school but name started with an 'S') hopefully he got bored in the end and went elsewhere to spread his bad vibes.

Anyway, the book is great - so pleased it's doing well!

I began reading this site about ten years ago, but only recently started posting because I couldn't stand the vile commentary that went unchecked. I can imagine that there are many more people who would like to become involved in the conversations, but are afraid of the verbal attacks that will occur if they say something positive about Morrissey. The people that post the most vulgar comments insist that it is their right, that freedom of speech compels them to do so; but there is a line between constructive criticism and posting vicious, personal attacks.

As for the question posted, it does make a powerful point: Have any artists become better with age? Most of them only have two to three strong albums, then they become complacent and uninspired. I honestly can't think of any. Morrissey, with the exception of a few recent lack-luster songs, has made relevant music for decades; and to be honest, he had a couple clunkers with the Smiths, too. He's not perfect, but if you take the best of his work (I Know it's Over, Camden, I've changed My Plea to Guilty, We'll Let You Know, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, just to cite a few), his opening lines alone make most other lyricist's work seem trivial. I think that is why so many of us refuse to turn on him. Hopefully, he will use this opportunity to release another strong album, and this is one point where I definitely agree with JB: Morrissey needs to be extremely critical when putting the next record together; the lyrics need to have the emotional impact that originally drew so many to his work. A great record following the success of the autobiography would help to erase some of the negative press that he has had the past couple of years, and would hopefully help to alleviate some of the stress that exacerbates his health problems. I wish the best for M. I would give him my heart (if I had one).

lynnda

I replied to your post because I was adding to your interesting thoughts on "flawed" artists and accepting that.
I don't always preface my replies with "agreed" and "+1" etc. etc., sorry.

I am not hater. Hope this wasn't addressed to me. I am a realist. I don't have ANY heroes. Love his music. No other musical artist comes close, imo. The man is flawed. As I said numerous times, we all all. I have no illusions that he should be perfect. Or delusions that he IS. My point was that, unfortunately, so many others do.

Overestimating the sycophancy here? Are you kidding me?

Back
Top Bottom