Army Navy's Justin Kennedy talks about his Morrissey encounter as a wardrobe stylist

Originally posted at somedizzywhore.com:

Army Navy still battling as an indie with 'The Last Place' - Pop & Hiss, LA Times music blog

Excerpt:

The chance to collaborate with Morrissey isn't an opportunity most young rock musicians would take lightly. Justin Kennedy of the recently reinvigorated Army Navy justifiably jumped at the opportunity. But the band, having just released the vibrant collection of lovelorn-in-Los Angeles power pop that is "The Last Place," didn't gleam much musical knowledge from the dapper chronicler of strained relationships.

Kennedy, after all, pays the bills as a wardrobe stylist. "I dress people for photo shoots or events, or dress actors for red-carpet events," Kennedy said.

Sometimes these lead to exciting encounters, he said, such as the time he flew in Tom Cruise's private jet, and sometimes helping a man dress to his best can be "a dream come true," such as Kennedy's moment with Morrissey.

"I don't get to work with many musicians, so working with him, someone who has influenced me since I was a child -- and probably a major influence on the way I think -- was amazing," Kennedy said. "I was able to chill with him."

Morrissey even gave Kennedy a nickname. "He called me '80s legs," Kennedy said. "He said, 'What's up with the skinny jeans? Is that a retro thing?' At the end of the day he said to me, 'Thanks, '80s legs.' I was like, 'Holy crap, Morrissey just gave me a nickname!'"

Last edited:
Re: Article: Army Navy's Justin Kennedy talks about his Morrissey encounter as a ward

None in fact. He texted me the details of stories he thinks need to be publicised before they appeared on AYNIM. You can ask him yourself. Go on. Shoddy journalism. Check your sources.

Sources? Journalism? LOL.

Your posts, duplicates of his on AYNIM, appeared after his appeared there. You copied them, probably at his request. If that's incorrect, give us the links.

You didn't include his name in the posts--only a reference to "our roving reporter" in one of them. In the other, you simply posted his sentences as if they were yours.

The stories were pretty trivial as I recall. The idea that anyone felt they "needed to be publicized" is comical. One was about a hair band singer making some reference to Morrissey in an inteview. Typical Solo "content."

As JJ was a banned user at that time, you were also essentially helping a banned user to post on this site, which anyone else would have been attacked over. That he enjoyed sneaking content onto this site while banned, via yourself, only means that you were helping him to pull one over on DavidT. (I doubt DavidT minds in the long run--he just wants the content. Hence Belligerent Ghoul was allowed to dominate main page submissions for years while attacking people constantly elsewhere on the site.)

You're a liar, "P." Do you realize that?

Re: Article: Army Navy's Justin Kennedy talks about his Morrissey encounter as a ward

Sources? Journalism? LOL.

Your posts, duplicates of his on AYNIM, appeared after his appeared there. You copied them, probably at his request. If that's incorrect, give us the links.

You didn't include his name in the posts--only a reference to "our roving reporter" in one of them. In the other, you simply posted his sentences as if they were yours.

The stories were pretty trivial as I recall. The idea that anyone felt they "needed to be publicized" is comical. One was about a hair band singer making some reference to Morrissey in an inteview. Typical Solo "content."

As JJ was a banned user at that time, you were also essentially helping a banned user to post on this site, which anyone else would have been attacked over. That he enjoyed sneaking content onto this site while banned, via yourself, only means that you were helping him to pull one over on DavidT. (I doubt DavidT minds in the long run--he just wants the content. Hence Belligerent Ghoul was allowed to dominate main page submissions for years while attacking people constantly elsewhere on the site.)

You're a liar, "P." Do you realize that?

steady on love. It's only a website story!

steady on love. It's only a website story!

You're one of those guys doing the whole morrisseysworld crop circles thing, right?

I'm going to give up trying to speak to you guys. I tried it in the forum too. This place is completely paranoid, it's insane.

It IS the same person.

A little search on the previous imposter pretending to be Morrissey blogging shows how 'broken' stirred up interest in who the real writer was, with animosity calling people away from this site to follow to where the fire was, only to torch the ground where the assembly had gathered and to gloat over the misled hopefuls, forgetting to run away as the flames rose to his Pinocchio nose... -
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/search.php?searchid=243745

Actually that time when Davidt posted about the blog he struck a definite warning note that it probably wasn't trustworthy, just as Morrissey is doing this time. Which makes you think that despite themselves and the hurt and negligence felt/caused on either/both sides that has streamed under the bridge in the past near-decade, some common ground exists. Kristeen Young was publicly banned before obviously some communication took place towards accommodation of viewpoints. While I'm pretty sure a strong divergence would remain in opinions about how a website like this should be run - thus the value of alternatives where people can operate under different conditions: viva diversité! - those shadows of former harmony are melancholically suggestive. Meanwhile, it's each one for him/herself, more or less.

Re: Burrrrnnn!!!!!!

I did and built the biggest, craziest Trojan Horse. :D With a sound system! :cool:

Clever! If you auctioned that round here, with the way things are going, you should fetch a very nice price for it. :lbf:

4000 word novel extract on www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com - interesting stuff

also 1000 word essay on the person steven morrissey metamophorosing into the artist morrissey.

Over here it's just children fighting again. Oops.

Steven's just another pop star, Road Hog. Try to keep a little perspective.

Incidentally, how many usernames & accounts do you intend to create? :)

If there's libellous stuff, then I await the court case with interest. Otherwise it's all comment, including your stuff. You are free to visit or create a site where you control things and only allow nice things.

P.

The responder's in the mire with the commentor! Surely the moderator would know who this conterfeit blogger is that they're addressing, having access to IPs and remembering similar vain exercises in the past by the same posters? So why treat it semi-seriously, why give it all this oxygen unless this site's team wishes to support the whole public nuisance of it? Sometimes it seems that these fans who've busied themselves picking up on every last reflection that someone like Morrissey trails at the edge of their spotlight, come to a point when the original purpose is forgotten and they can't help themselves lapsing into a sort of second adolescence. Only since their nice responsible salaried lives won't allow them to give in fully to their strange urges towards rebellion and destruction that they obediently missed in the teenage years, they settle for vicarious experience, giving their blessing to, and cosying up with unrepentent psychopaths who've nothing to lose. Control comes in all shapes and sizes. User bans for being 'childish' - read, not nice to one or more administrators often regardless of attitude towards other users and people discussed - ; the existence, if not the implementation of TOS, and other factors, indicate that controls are in fact an acknowledged part of this site's modus operandus. One expects that the kind of hostility tolerated here would be dealt with very differently if it showed up at the personal doorstep, which is to say, implied insults about control and nice things are spun words used selectively according to the preference of the speaker. It is a rare freedom that can be won without some form of discipline.

The responder's in the mire with the commentor! Surely the moderator would know who this conterfeit blogger is that they're addressing, having access to IPs and remembering similar vain exercises in the past by the same posters? So why treat it semi-seriously, why give it all this oxygen unless this site's team wishes to support the whole public nuisance of it? Sometimes it seems that these fans who've busied themselves picking up on every last reflection that someone like Morrissey trails at the edge of their spotlight, come to a point when the original purpose is forgotten and they can't help themselves lapsing into a sort of second adolescence. Only since their nice responsible salaried lives won't allow them to give in fully to their strange urges towards rebellion and destruction that they obediently missed in the teenage years, they settle for vicarious experience, giving their blessing to, and cosying up with unrepentent psychopaths who've nothing to lose. Control comes in all shapes and sizes. User bans for being 'childish' - read, not nice to one or more administrators often regardless of attitude towards other users and people discussed - ; the existence, if not the implementation of TOS, and other factors, indicate that controls are in fact an acknowledged part of this site's modus operandus. One expects that the kind of hostility tolerated here would be dealt with very differently if it showed up at the personal doorstep, which is to say, implied insults about control and nice things are spun words used selectively according to the preference of the speaker. It is a rare freedom that can be won without some form of discipline.

Your written English is atrocious. You would seem much more intelligent if you learnt to write in succinct, plain English. Aim for brevity and you'd be doing yourself (and your readers) a big favour.

Your written English is atrocious. You would seem much more intelligent if you learnt to write in succinct, plain English. Aim for brevity and you'd be doing yourself (and your readers) a big favour.

Thanks very much for your invaluable critique, Shakespeare.

Thanks very much for your invaluable critique, Shakespeare.

See? You're already getting the hang of it.

Good work.

See? You're already getting the hang of it.

Good work.

Why don't you 'aim for brevity' in your tiresome blog? In fact, stop altogether before everyone slips into a coma.

"One" (goinghome) has no friends and spends most of his time reading 17th to 20th century authors - or newspaper journalists who pretend that their personal opinions are some objective portrayal of a situation. The creep cannot even relate to himself as "I"!!!

"One" (goinghome) has no friends and spends most of his time reading 17th to 20th century authors - or newspaper journalists who pretend that their personal opinions are some objective portrayal of a situation. The creep cannot even relate to himself as "I"!!!

Since you know them so well, it must come as a bolt out of the blue for you to find out that 'him' is a 'her'. Idiot.

Since you know them so well, it must come as a bolt out of the blue for you to find out that 'him' is a 'her'. Idiot.

This makes it all even worse.

Regardless of the reality, should a moderator be playing around with a user's private identity to score points? Personalising issues is normally frowned upon in debate, but where that user is concerned, it's the tactic fallen back on time after time when anyone contests the porky pies. How passionately exercised they are about fabricating personas and other representational compulsions! Surely, seeing as they presume to guess my reading habits, the one book that would give them most joy, the one where they could see themselves reflected on every page, would be the The DSM IV, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

Regardless of the reality, should a moderator be playing around with a user's private identity to score points? Personalising issues is normally frowned upon in debate, but where that user is concerned, it's the tactic fallen back on time after time when anyone contests the porky pies. How passionately exercised they are about fabricating personas and other representational compulsions! Surely, seeing as they presume to guess my reading habits, the one book that would give them most joy, the one where they could see themselves reflected on every page, would be the The DSM IV, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM).

I'm on your side here. I'm trying to stick up for the members here, you included. And I really enjoy your posts.

P.

I'm on your side here. I'm trying to stick up for the members here, you included. And I really enjoy your posts.

P.

'and then they kneel and pray, and they say...'

Whatever about being pelted with sewerage, it's almost harder to sidestep plámás. It's about time for me to slink away for a while anyway. I'm busy relocating. Maybe as I take my leave to go collect the tools and raw materials required to construct my wigwam, groundrules will be revisited and the site made somewhat more shipshape, attractive for a resumption of comments once the tent-flap's closed tight. (Nice poster for the Dolan's fiesta, btw.)

Back
Top Bottom