Alain Whyte: Band update (June 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230616-165701.png

1686931063262.jpg

1686931065886.jpg

1686931068090.jpg

Screenshot_20230617-114140.png

Regards,
FWD.

Looks like he’s with Craig in the Refuge Volta bar. A favourite hang out of mine, though I don’t stay if it’s too noisy (my dog). Often see Craig in another, much smaller bar down the road. Gaslamp.

Whereas Morrissey is singing as well as he ever has but, f*** me, most of the songs are shite.
If only there was some way both sides could come together… Jesse! Sling yer hook!
I would disagree with that, Dog is one of My favorite M records in a while and the stand out tracks were written with Tobias.

Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
Industry insider innuendo is that our Moz is planning a single with Bananarama under the temporary band name No Fun Boy With 3.
Working song title is Cruel Summer with b-side Hate In The First Degree.

Lovely. I wish Alain and pals all the success in the world. I'd pay to see them.

Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
It also seems that Alain used his touring time with Morrissey to reconnect with his former pals + steal a band member from Morrissey.
I just wished that Alain and Gus would have finished the tours with Morrissey in 2023 before moving on with their own project / side project. I know it is selfish.

It appears we need Boz to join up to have the classic line up from 91/92. I reckon most people will go to th gigs to see the old band but more of a tribute night. In fairness Sunny Days isn't a bad song. Alain is a backing singer to be fair but he is having a go so good luck to him.

Here’s a crazy idea for them. Re-record the songs written by Alain and Gustavo for WMTWD and self-release them. Or play them live. It’s our only hope to hear these songs. We’ll have to imagine how they would with Morrissey on lead vocals (almost certainly better) but that’s no problem.

Fantastic line-up , nice pics
Good Luck to Alain and the Boys :thumb:

It also seems that Alain used his touring time with Morrissey to reconnect with his former pals + steal a band member from Morrissey.
I just wished that Alain and Gus would have finished the tours with Morrissey in 2023 before moving on with their own project / side project. I know it is selfish.
Let's be honest - Alain couldn't steal someone who didn't mind being "stolen" - if that's even the correct way to view it. It must mean that Gustavo was already feeling frustrated, undervalued, etc.

Given that Gustavo was a songwriting partner and an essential part of M's band since 2011, it leads one to believe that the issues - whatever they are - made him uncomfortable enough to depart of his own volition. I don't perceive it as Alain poaching him so much as them finding kinship in the wake of whatever was going on to make them leave. Gustavo obviously grew on him because I can recall Alain commenting that he wasn't impressed with "Spent The Day In Bed" and the latter day direction of the Morrissey "sound" when it came out.

It's worth noting that Alain also continues to work with Deano and they didn't partner on something until 2010, long after both had left M's employ. So there is a history. This scenario just happens to be more immediate.

I would love to see this line-up live. I was hoping Alain had had a chance to catch up with Gaz and Spenny whilst on tour - and I don't blame him one bit for keeping it under wraps until now. Frankly, I'd love to see him have some type of collaboration with Boz again if the opportunity arises.

we don’t know if Morrissey is upset in that way with Alain’s decision to leave. I believe Alain is still friends with Morrissey.
When Alain’s replacement in the band was announced, there were people close to Alain saying that he and Morrissey parted on good terms. There’s nothing wrong with his former band mates getting back together. They could write and record new music together, then go on tour to promote that project. But they will never really abandon the mothership called Morrissey, at least that is how it feels for me. I just wondr how Morrissey feels about this.

Let's be honest - Alain couldn't steal someone who didn't mind being "stolen" - if that's even the correct way to view it. It must mean that Gustavo was already feeling frustrated, undervalued, etc.
That’s a fair point. So it was more like an opportunity coming Gustavo’s way, which he has happily mbraced.

Last edited:
Let me see all my old friends

Let me put my arms around them

Nice to see a recent pic of Spencer. What has he been doing since leaving Morrissey’s band? I admit I know little about him.

Spencer looks really well in that photo. He must be in his late 50s by now? Easily the best drummer Moz has ever had.

Tags
alain whyte

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom