Your favorite line from a Smiths/Morrissey song

There are so many...Ok then,post the first ones that comes to your mind.
These are some of my favorites:

When you say it's gonna happen 'now'.Well,when exactly do you mean?

'Cause there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I've seen them,but not very often.

When she calls me, I do not walk, I run.

Jeer the lights in the windows of all safe and stable homes(but wondering then 'well, what could peace of mind be like?')

But dreams have a knack of just not coming true

Dear God, did this kind of thing happen to you?

Are you aware, wherever you are, that you have just died?

You want to turn it on its head by staying in bed. I said 'I know I do'.

Last edited:
I think about life and I think about death and neither one particularly appeals to me.

The gulf between the things I need and the things I receive is an ancient ocean wide, wild lost uncrossed.

Here you'll find despair and I calling to you with what's left of my heart.

'she said 'I know you and you cannot sing' I said 'that's nothing, you should hear me play piano!'

'I crashed down on the crossbar and the pain was enough to make a shy bald buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder'

'I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now its happening in mine......kick em when they fall down'

'It takes guts to be gentle and kind'

'this might make you throw up in your bed, but I'm OK by myself...and I don't need you...and I never have, I never have'

'trudging slowly over wet sand, to the bench where your clothes were stolen'

'its not natural normal or kind, this flesh you so fancifully fry - the meat that you eat as you savour the flavour of murder'

'Love's young dream - I'm the one who stopped you, I'm the one who shopped you...coz in my sorry way I love you'

See how words as old as sin fit me like a glove
But fresh-lilaced moorland fields cannot hide the stolid stench of death
It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate / it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Vivid and in your prime / you'll leave me behind
Amidst concrete and clay and general decay nature must still find a way
I might walk home alone / But my faith in love is still devout
I tried living in the real world instead of a shell / But I was bored before I even began
What she said: I smoke, cause I'm hoping for an early death / and I need to cling to something
I lost my bag at Newport Paignell (for being so marvellously malapropos)
There's something against us / It's not time

Gasping, dying, but somehow still alive, this is the final stand of all I am

I'm doing very well, I can block out the present and the past now

And if you think peace is a common goal that goes to show how little you know

You without clothes, oh I could not keep a straight face, me without clothes, well a nation turns its back and gags

Last edited:
"We've never seen a keener / Window-cleaner"

Oh yes!

It's difficult to choose only one actually... But I can think that now I am in the right mood for this:

"Why did you give me so much desire, When there is nowhere I can go to offload this desire?
And why did you give me so much love in a loveless world, When there is no one I can turn to
To unlock all this love?"

Lovely, indeed. Go Moz!

And Morrissey solo:

When the gulf between all the things I need and the things I receive is an ancient ocean wide / Wild, lost, uncrossed

Black sky in the daytime and I don't much mind dying / when there is nothing much to care for anymore

You think you were my first love, but you're wrong / You were the only one, who's come and gone

Is evil something you are, or something you do?

Used to be a sweet boy / something went wrong / and I know I'm not to blame

..And if you don't know this, then what do you know?

And freedom and reason is a waste / It's a lot like love

This is the coastal town that they forgot to close down / come come nuclear bomb

I'm just playing easy to get (or is that I'm just plain easy to get? )

"what she asked of me at the end of the day caligula would have blushed"

I am a poor, freezingly cold soul

I was minding my business lifting some lead off the roof of the Holy Name Church :)

I want to live and i want to love, I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of ;)

Outside there is a pain, emotional air raids exhausted my heart and it's safer to be inside :(

Sleep on and dream of love because it's the closest you will get to love (swayed by video)

Too many to mention.......but always liked "Why pamper life's complexity when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat?"

trudging slowly over wet sand, back to the bench where your clothes were stolen (which I also think is his best opening line)

drawn to what scares me, and scared of what bores me
If you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?
I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
When the gulf between all the things I need and the things I receive is an ancient ocean wide, wild, lost, uncrossed
It could go on forever, in which case I'm doomed

oh, there is just too many...

There are so many that speak to me in such a profound way, but I think the line that I can relate to the most, which brings a smile to my face every single time I hear it is this

"Oh, the alcoholic afternoons
When we sat in your rooms
They meant more to me
Than any, than any living thing on earth"

Back
Top Bottom