"Years Of Refusal" review in Uncut - March 2009 - it's a good 'un!

thecondy

4 out of 5. Phew! - I was expecting a 2 or 3.
Neil Young on cover (as always!)
Small mention of Morrissey on front cover.
YOR isn't the main album review (that goes to Springsteen) but it is classed as one of the main 10 - he gets a full page with a nice photo taking up about a third of the page and the rest is writing.

Quotes:
  • "Middle-aged Moz on throbbing, souped-up form."
  • "Irrefutable evidence that Morrissey is still master of a pop scene he often surveys with utter disdain."
  • Carol is "truly wonderful"
  • "bright and occasionally beautiful"
  • "His resurgence continues."
The review is by Danny Kelly. (I may be way off mark here but wasn't he one of the NME baddies?)

Cheers.

Re: "Years Of Refusal" review in Uncut - March 2009

Where is Unclescanner? :p

Danny Kelly isn't as bad as David Quantick.
Morrissey's early solo career had been supported by Kelly, but he is partly blamed for exploiting 1992 Madstock incident.

YOR isn't the main album review (that goes to Springsteen) but it is classed as one of the main 10 - he gets a full page with a nice photo taking up about a third of the page and the rest is writing.

Quotes:
  • "Irrefutable evidence that Morrissey is still master of a pop scene he often surveys with utter disdain."
The review is by Danny Kelly. (I may be way off mark here but wasn't he one of the NME baddies?)

Cheers.

Great!! :guitar: quite honestly, 4 out of 5 is what the album deserves :)

Quotes:

Cheers.

Thanks Condy. That's great news. 4/5 is more like it!
I think Danny Kelly used to be the NME editor possibly in the early 90's, if not before.
Uncut is a 'sister' publication to the NME...

Great!! :guitar: quite honestly, 4 out of 5 is what the album deserves :)

Yes, the album really deserves 4/5. It just grows & grows. I was a bit cynical at first but when I heard it....it's Great. Amongst his best stuff.

Everyone I know seem to love "Paris"! How could you not??? I mean, we won't get another such a committed pop-star in zillion years.

Love it!

4/5 is too high. 3/5 is a fair review.

At last - a reviewer with some sense! Danny Kelly was very pro-Smiths back in the day so I'm glad he likes the new one...

What did Springsteen album get out of interest?
Outlaw Pete, The Last Carnival and The Wrestler wipe the floor with anything on YoR and Bruce has got a good 10yrs on Moz! Moz sounds tired and bored, at least Bruce still has some f***ing fire inside him.

just read in WHS. not much to add except it's an excellent review!
ironically, it's the only monthly not to have a YOR advert on the back (Q and Mojo both do), and yet it's given it the best review.
record company probly thought that, as Uncut is NME's sister publication, a bad review was on the cards...

I've been playing a wee game of going into random newsagents and reversing the front copies of Q and Mojo so that Morrissey & Child are facing out shopwards. It's fun. Try it.
;)

Kelly wrote all the 'Smiths to split' stuff in '87.

Tags
reviews
Back
Top Bottom