"Years Of Refusal" review in Q magazine March 09

Re: "Years Of Refusal" review in Q magazine Feb 09

I think that it was a pretty good, well-written article....almost positive! "Repeatedly, he sees persecution around every corner". Well, that is what Morrissey does best and has always done! Why change now?

It's true that Morrissey is not breaking any new ground on this album - but then again I think he probably hasn't done that on any of his albums! That's the beauty - and something that some people cannot cope with.

But it is a very solid, strong and direct piece of his work.

But hey, they could've given it 4 points...easily!

I think that it was a pretty good, well-written article....almost positive! "Repeatedly, he sees persecution around every corner". Well, that is what Morrissey does best and has always done! Why change now?
It's true that Morrissey is not breaking any new ground on this album - but then again I think he probably hasn't done that on any of his albums! That's the beauty - and something that some people cannot cope with.
But it is a very solid, strong and direct piece of his work.
But hey, they could've given it 4 points...easily!

Good point. It could've been a 4 star review. There's plenty of praise in there. Wonder how the album will be received elsewhere...

Good point. It could've been a 4 star review. There's plenty of praise in there. Wonder how the album will be received elsewhere...

That praise was actually mine. Just in case you haven't read the review yet. :o

Full back page ad for the album aswell:)

ALSO..... the 'wrestle with Russell' question is solved in the ad........."an exclusive filmed interview with Morrissey" !!!!!!!!

File0054.jpg

I want that as a poster! It is a good album cover. I thought ROTT cover was a bit so & so...

Q's history of reviews has always been hit and miss, sometimes they get it right, here's a breif history of Morrissy's ratings in Q magazine

Viva Hate 4/5
Kill Uncle 2/5
Your Arsenal 5/5
Vauxhall and I 5/5
Southpaw Grammar 4/5
Maladjusted 2/5
You are the Quarry 2/5
Ringleader of the Tormentors 3/5

As you can see after Vauxhall the rating system seems pretty random.

Hate to be pedantic, but I seem to remember that Q gave ROTT a 3 star review which was pretty scathing in many ways and in their next month's issue upgraded it to four stars for some reason.

They do seem to have a pretty anti-Moz thing going on though. I mean, 2/5 for Quarry? I love that album, but even for those who don't, that is pretty harsh. 3 stars seems fair enough for YOR, but I don't think I can properly, critically and objectively evaluate a Moz album anymore anyway.

Last edited:

It's not necessarily the writer of the review that decides on the "star rating". It tends to be an editorial decision in magazines like Q.

i wonder if we can expect any more interviews beside in that "filter" mag..this month? does anyone know?
Which mags are left where we can expect it?
I wonder if Q did any and printing them in the march issue then?

Last edited:

Got it today and just read it.
I felt the writer could have written more about that the actually album!
I like the advert of the back, i turned it round at work so i could stair at moz all day:D.

Got it today and just read it.
I felt the writer could have written more about that the actually album!
I like the advert of the back, i turned it round at work so i could stair at moz all day:D.

I think this is the problem we are going to find with all the British reviews. They can't help writing a thesis on Morrissey rather than the record. For example, how does she know he is "obsessed with his legacy".

Generally I find American reviews focus on the music a lot more, because they are not so hampered by the Morrissey as a celebrity thing.

What I could read also appeared more like some Morrissey psychoanalysis attempt to me than a review of the record.

Maybe, but for once, I laughed, which doesn't usually happen when I read a review, (and I've read a few) so just for that, it's Quality stuff. Thank you Victoria. Plus it's nice to see a girlie who doesn't want to "rush to the speakers to hug them" (quote) whenever she hears the Morrisseys.

Danny: legacy? Biog-??? Lost Hi- No, nothing. (Martyr's sigh).

i wonder if we can expect any more interviews beside in that "filter" mag..this month? does anyone know?
Which mags are left where we can expect it?
I wonder if Q did any and printing them in the march issue then?

Sorry if I'm missing your humour here Sista but the Q article and picture is what this thread is all about. I put a scan of the article and the picture in this thread (number 28), Its from the March 2009 issue of Q:) Enjoy!

Sorry if I'm missing your humour here Sista but the Q article and picture is what this thread is all about. I put a scan of the article and the picture in this thread (number 28), Its from the March 2009 issue of Q:) Enjoy!

yes i know ..that was very lovely:guitar: thanks!..i was just wondering that no interview has appeared in the feb edition q mag
and not at any other magazine (yet)i dont expect any interviews in nme or word...
but there are more uk mags than these ^ around arent they?
or did he refuse to talk to any british mag this time?
...sorry if you got it the wrong way.:tears:

Last edited:

Reads like a 3.5/5 but I guess Q doesn't give half stars? And no way would they bump it up to a 4.

Describing Maladjusted as a "reused teabag" made me laugh. Can't completely disagree in hindsight, but Trouble Loves Me is far too good for that insult.

Best part was "fragile outside, gentle eccentric, the dog who would never eat another dog because they're vegetarian". Hope you got yourself some fries there at Burger King, Barking!´

Where does she say that she does not want to rush to her speakers to hug them when she hears the Morrisseys?

Oh, the speakers lady was a Guardian lady I think...She was trying to be humourous, but unfortunately, she seemed to mean it as well...:rolleyes:

:) Burger King fries are a bit disgusting tbh. I must say I have a thing for the whopper (I know, I know, I know, but once every ten years, I mean...:tears:). ha but chips. From the chipper's. (Not hungry at the moment but, yes! Anything fattening!)

Re: Q magazine

the review is kind of interesting in a not-very-interesting way. nice picture.

Tags
reviews
Back
Top Bottom