"World Peace..." Music Week review, rebranded "MorrisseyWeek"

Re: World Peace: Music Week review

This is truly devastating news. Devastating. I think back to all those rapturously insightful reviews that all those Artie Fufkins at 'Music Week' gave to every Smiths gem and Moz solo classic. They've always really got him so. Y'know? I mean, he's no Ed Sheehan. But then, hell, who is?

Fortunately, only one absolute bore has to bear that cross..

I love you guys. In a totally non-gay way.

D9GFCIE.png

Re: First full length review of the new album

The image used for the cover of Music Week is slightly different from the one we've been seeing for weeks now; namely, the duplicated plant and debris on the lower left hand side has been corrected. Is this the final album cover, do we think?

View attachment 31992

haha only just noticed that duplicate plant/debris now. How unprofessional.

The review is by Dave Roberts and is 'Album of the Week' on their 'Product Recommended' page.

Interestingly, or not, the mock Moz glossy cover features non-Photoshopped Moz & background (unsmooth forehead, tinkerless wrinkles, etc).
The review is illustrated with the altered cover, as featured on Amazon et al.

Re: First full length review of the new album

The image used for the cover of Music Week is slightly different from the one we've been seeing for weeks now; namely, the duplicated plant and debris on the lower left hand side has been corrected. Is this the final album cover, do we think?

View attachment 31992

It's his nephews on Art Duties isn't it? Either he doesn't care and/or it's an ironic statement about how pointless CD artwork is nowadays in the digital age. Or something.... it's all part of The Big Picture statement that is WPINOYB. I like the post-ironic amateurism of it all.

best
BB

An anonymous person writes:

It's in today's Music Week, and it's all a bit lukewarm.
Described as a 'good' album but unlikely to win new fans.
There's no real comment on the music. Lyrics to I'm Not A Man are covered in detail but nothing really on the other songs we don't yet know.
Either we unfortunately only have an ok album on our hands or the reviewer isn't a great music journalist.

Uncleskinny posted the image:

Rlcil2C.jpg

and the link:

Music Week - true-to-you.net

19 June 2014

The British music industry media magazine Music Week has, for this week, been rebranded Morrissey Week.

An anonymous person also posted:

Here's the text of the Music Week Review.

"Did you listen to Morrissey on Desert Island Discs a coupe of years ago? Of course you did. You're not a Philistine. When he wasn't flirting outrageously with Kristy Young. he gave us vignettes from his life and gave us glimpses of his taste, but the inherent message message, surely, was: be interesting; don't just exist, be interesting. Or at least try to be. Boredom is the enemy, convention is its web.

And so to Morrissey's solo career. It hasn't been consistently brilliant, or even, with quite long hiatuses between deals, consistently in existence. But it has always been interesting. World Peace Is None Of Your Business maintains the tradition.

The first (title) track seems him bump up against politics. Not party politics (trust Moz to swerve a party), but the point of politics, and of politicians. "Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes/Never asking what for/You poor little fool", he chides, before lending support to his louche friend/acolyte Russel Brand by concluding "Each time you vote, you support the process".

It is followed by a clanging assessment of the beat generation in the form of Neal Cassady Drops Dead (whatever you think about the music, Morrissey always delivers stunning titles).

And then comes I'm Not A Man, a brilliant litany of everything that defines maleness, rejected by our hero, contemptuous of the "Warring caveman/Wheeler dealer/Mover shaker/Casanova" and confident he is, in fact, "something bigger, better" and less (that word again) conventional. Later on her urges us to Kick the Bride Down the Aisle and briefly reprises the zither driven code to Please, Please, Please... in the process.

Morrissey is a man for whom the phrase "a return to form" is banned, not least because its boring, but make no mistake, this is a good Morrissey album, continuing a renaissance that started with You are the Quarry, and has been fueled by vim and vinegar ever since.

Will he win over new fans? Will he tempt back the swathes of former constituents who have drifted away? Will the media salivate or savage? No, maybe and both would be good guesses, and probably in that order. But this much is certain, we'll miss him when he's gone, and no one will remember him as being boring".

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a line of thinking that good is better than great.

I wonder if Music Week can think of an artist who has more consistently delivered more high quality songs to the world of music than the one an only Morrissey.

Bundle Bear

This is a magazine called Music Week, and when pretty much all they can say about the musical side of this album is "whatever you think about the music, Morrissey always delivers stunning titles", then it's hard to feel as though it's really pushing the boat out with praise.

I love the pushing back at the comment "Best record in 20 years!" - - - I mean, with Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I being more than 20 years old, this statement simply means "I like it better than You Are The Quarry". Isn't that all it really means?

Yes the photoshop cloning of the plants has been fixed but the added wall still looks weird. It's flush up against his butt. The perspective is all wrong.

Is this the change the art work was subject to?

Yes the photoshop cloning of the plants has been fixed but the added wall still looks weird. It's flush up against his butt. The perspective is all wrong.

Is this the change the art work was subject to?

You should "fix" it.

He's got no wrinkles on his tinker?

A wrinkle-less tinker? I have no inkling. The kinks in his wrinkles have been tinkered with. I think.

Back
Top Bottom