Who the **** is Guy Pratt???

Poco Innocente

A ring a ding ding
My mate who is a big Pink Floyd fan just text me saying a chap by the name of Guy Pratt played bass for Floyd as well as The Smiths. I was most confused by this as I thought the only basist The Smiths had was Rourke?

I just did a search on here, and someone mentions Pratt replacing Andy on the US tour. Is this the case? How long for? Was it because Andy was high as a kite? Also there was an amusing comment about Pratt and a ponytail, anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thank you,

Poco

My mate who is a big Pink Floyd fan just text me saying a chap by the name of Guy Pratt played bass for Floyd as well as The Smiths. I was most confused by this as I thought the only basist The Smiths had was Rourke?

I just did a search on here, and someone mentions Pratt replacing Andy on the US tour. Is this the case? How long for? Was it because Andy was high as a kite? Also there was an amusing comment about Pratt and a ponytail, anyone able to shed some light on this?

Thank you,

Poco

Can't add much except that he depped for Rourke for one week and is a top session musician.

You forgot that Dale Hibbert was the original bassist in the very, very early days (i.e. 1982).

The US tour was in 1986 I think, which was the year that Rourke was temporarily sacked from the band, so it's quite possible he was replaced by Pratt due to this.

Allegedly Morrissey thought that someone with a ponytail should not play with The Smiths!!! (Good on him thats what I say)

Guy Pratt was brought into replace Rourke for the US tour cos of his drug convictions.

According to this site:

The day after the release of the album The Queen is dead, the Smiths were preparing for a 27 date American tour and assumed that Andy Rourke's drug conviction would scupper his chances of a visa. The band drafted in Guy Pratt and Rourke taught him his parts. He had a pony tail, " said Rourke. "I remember Morrissey saying, "sorry, I'm not going on stage with anyone with a pony tail." So he had all his hair chopped off, bless him. Then my visa came through."

ta very much!

Guy Pratt has played with Pink Floyd since the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour and went on to do Pulse as well. He also joined Billy Mackenzie's Associates for a while on the Wild and Lonely album. As far as I know he never had anything to do with the Smiths at all.

Back
Top Bottom