who is the guy on the cover of smiths very best of

morrissey971

carrot muncher
sorry stupid question but who is this guy is it true that this album was not agreed to be released by morrissey or mar

It's Charles Hawtrey, star of many, many Carry-On films. My understanding is that Morrissey wanted to use his image for ages, but never got permission. Peepholism (page 75) says this:

"Several still of Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On films were mulled over at various times. Morrissey's affection for both Charles Hawtrey and fellow Carry on star Kenneth Williams was very particular and very personal. In a statement describing Hawtrey as 'The very last comic genius' in November 1988, Morrissey said 'Charles Hawtrey's death ties in with the advance chill of 1992, the slaughter of the British passport, and the last death wheeze of the real England...By all accounts being unfriendly and friendless, Hawtrey's mystique surpasses Garbo. I personally loved him.'"

Peter

but didn't morrissey hate this cover ?

Yeah, Morrissey really disliked the cover. I think Marr complained about the digital remastering too, though personally, I think most of the songs sound better here than they ever have.

Yeah both Moz and Marr hated this cover and Moz did his bestt to persuade people not to buy it but you know how Moz fans are. I am proud to say I did not buy it mainly because it's a record company after thought and the sleeve is horrible!

Hawtrye didn't refuse permission for his photo to be used as a sleeve. It never got that far.

Back
Top Bottom