Morrissey Central "WHEN YOU ARE THE QUARRY" (January 6, 2023)

unnamed-11.png

by MORRISSEY

I am aware that the ludicrous 'Morrissey is Far Right' attributions have very recently wiggled back into minor vogue on all of the usual gossip sites. This rush is, I am assured, in view of Miley Cyrus wanting to be removed from 'I Am Veronica', and suddenly the very dated rehash of "This is because of Morrissey's political views" wobbles out - delighting those for whom I am a book that under no circumstances can they stop reading. My friends are fully aware of a certain aim to put me out of circulation, which has inexplicably become relentless even though the entire point of Cancel Culture is to never again acknowledge whomever has been cancelled. You cannot constantly vomit out the same regurgitated "he should not be listened to" dirge year after year, because YOU are displaying an obsession that you urge others to avoid. I had secretly hoped that the glorious benefit of being cancelled would be that I could never again receive a bad review, because even to give me yet another oh-so-predictable bad review confirms that I am not, after all, cancelled. But the Cancel Vultures write only in headlines; they do not answer questions; their darts aim only for the inspired elite of perceptive intelligence. The Vultures are usually chief exponents of the hate and harassment which they themselves define as justification for Cancellation of others. Cancel Vultures are unknowable blanks, and they only attack those of whom they are most jealous - because others don't count. They will not forgive you for being alive, but they will not square up to you face-to-face because they would be forced to look into your eyes … where the wordless truth resides. Worst of all, Cancel Vultures cannot ever apologize for being wrong. This would be worse than death. I have been invited onto U.S. and U.K television news outlets to discuss the situation with Miley and 'Bonfire of teenagers', but of course, there's no point. In truth, Miley has backed off for reasons unconnected to me, having had a major clash with a key figure in 'the circle'. I cannot give any details about the private fight because … it is private, after all.

Miley knew everything about me when she arrived to sing 'I Am Veronica' almost two years ago; she walked into the studio already singing the song. She volunteered. I did not ask her to get involved. Her professionalism was astounding, her vocals a joy to behold. Every minute that I spent with Miley was loving and funny. She asked if she could be in the 'Veronica' video. I was very honored. She told me that Morrissey songs are on 24-hour rotation in her house, and she had frequently been photographed in Morrissey t-shirts. Miley came into my world; I did not venture towards hers. I was eternally thankful, and even now, I remain so.

The campaign to destroy my career was originally led by four male individuals in Britain, each of whom have prominent positions on social media - and they have full unedited access to the Legacy Media. At some point, each one of them had hopes of a candle-lit friendship with me, and this did not happen. Their rage for attention then took a different turn. They want some form of Wikipedia mention as well as a future personal Index reference in 'Who Killed Morrissey?'. Yes, staggeringly, that is their goal.

Although the Left changed and deserted me many years ago, I am most certainly not Far Right, and I have not ever met anyone who claims to be Far Right. My politics are straightforward: I recognize realities. Some realities horrify me, and some do not, but I accept that I was not created so that others might gratify me and delight me with all that they think and do - what a turgid life that would be. I've been offended all of my life, and it has strengthened me, and I am glad. I wouldn't have the journey any other way. Only by hearing the opinions of others can we form truly rational views, and therefore we must never accept a beehive society that refuses to reflect a variety of views.

I am therefore sorry to report to some of you that I am absolutely not Far Right. If your wearisome echo disapproves of me not being Far Right, I wish you the hope that you deny yourself. Britain's 'Question Time' has thrown the red carpet my way six times asking me to appear on television to discuss the Left-Right divide, but I have always refused, and not least of all because I am sick to death of a debate that can never possibly resolve itself. I also refuse because I am apolitical, and if nothing else, I know my place.

I do not care very much about myself - and I never have. But the crucial point about 'Music as Art' is evident in life-changing music that has always happened before anyone expected it. The very best examples are the Sex Pistols, David Bowie, the Ramones, the Velvet Underground, Alice Cooper, and even the Dolls and Iggy: no one saw these monoliths coming, therefore the people discovered them before the industry had time to halt the fun. Now, alas, music cannot happen unless it adheres to strict industry guidelines, and this falsely assures the listening public that things could not possibly be better than they currently are. The infantilised world is delighted to stream music, but if they were asked to walk 50 yards to a record shop to access those very songs … they wouldn't bother to. However, the connection between the music industry and Cancel Vultures is that they both agree that their main job is to stop singers and bands from saying anything important. Respecting equal freedom for those that you control … is not freedom. Music as Art has now been destroyed because it expands public opinion, and thus, with the current Top 100 downloads … no bubbles can ever rise. Songs once kept listeners occupied for years, but this has been replaced by suspiciously instant stardom for anyone obedient enough to agree that babies are naturally born through the left ear. Proper artists need not apply. Imagination must be paralyzed, and saying nothing whatsoever is the only pathway to all music awards. Look for yourself.

Following Britain's 9/11 abomination at the Manchester Arena, Miley was asked to take part in the Don't Look Back In Anger event, and she refused. I asked her why she had refused, and she said "I am not into all that."

I write these words mainly for (but not directly about) my audience - who are the best and most incredible audience that anyone could dream of, and perhaps many onlookers are jealous of this fact. I have not ever voted for a political party in my life, and I have not ever joined a political party, and I have not ever attended a political rally. On the political stage, I do not exist: you have never seen me there and you never shall. I therefore do not mind in the least if you join the Morrissey haters - there is always the likelihood that I'd feel exactly the same way about you. But if you join forces with the Cancel Vultures, your only aim is to numb time, and your eyes are dead.

5 January 2023

unnamed-8+copy+10.jpg

Member @Cornflakes reminded us that Miley Cyrus actually did attend the One Love Manchester event.
For clarity:
May 22, 2017 - Bombing.
May 25, 2017 - spontaneously sung after a minutes silence in the city.
May 27, 2017 - sung during the Courteeners et al gig @ Old Trafford Cricket Ground.
June 4, 2017 - One Love Manchester concert.
September 9, 2017 - We Are Manchester benefit.
All featured "Don't Look Back In Anger".
It should be noted the "We Are Manchester" event was predominantly Manchester bands and there is no online evidence to support Miley Cyrus was invited/involved with said.

p054xvmz.jpg

First Central image by Stephen Shames.
Second Central image by Esparza.
Regards,
FWD.

Media items:

Fair play to you, but can you honestly listen to World Peace and Low from start to finish in the same way as Arsenal or Vauxhall or even Kill Uncle?

I could never listen to Kill Uncle from start to finish. I have, of course, but it's never something I want to do. Though, half of Kill Uncle is really good Morrissey, but just the way the production sounds - much like the first Smiths LP - turns me off. Big fan of SONGS on the first Smiths LP btw, just not the sound of the recording mostly. The band (Smiths) have stated as much for themselves, at least most of them.

I know how many people here seem to be put off by World Peace, but for me - take away the title track and the album (and its B-sides) are amazing Morrissey. Truth - I listened to the B-sides before I ever heard the World Peace LP, so obviously I was expecting something pretty great from the album, and it didn't disappoint me. You can't deny that Forgive Someone is one of his best ever sounding tracks. Side A of High School flows better than World Peace to me, but the 2-3 songs I would drop-off LIHS are harder to listen to than anything on World Peace, minus the title track.

Dog On A Chain is this era's Kill Uncle for me, even though a few of the tracks I honestly consider some of Morrissey's best. I don't think it is as good as World Peace and LIHS, but it's not a bad record by any means, and I like it much better than Kill Uncle - which doesn't (to me) compare even close to Vauxhall and Your Arsenal - with no offense to you.

Fair play to you, but can you honestly listen to World Peace and Low from start to finish in the same way as Arsenal or Vauxhall or even Kill Uncle?
I can but I admit I think Arsenal and Vauxhall are stronger albums than the newer stuff but I think Moz is trying new things and isn't trying to do Vauxhall number 2. I think the deluxe version of World Peace is great and I'd love to have it on vinyl. Then again I'd love to see Kill Uncle/Quarry/Southpaw/Ringleader reissued on vinyl.

Makes sense honestly - why would Miley have even recorded with him in the first place if she hated what he believed in. He was being hounded back in the time of recording and she had ample time to say no because of him in the past 2 years so it makes sense its something else. Also don't get the hate for her. I'm not a fan of her music, but she has an undeniably good voice. Listen to her live acoustic version of Jolene on youtube for proof.

As for Morrissey, most people here at least know this. He's not far right. He hated the far right of trump and co. He stands for things that far right don't. He's not really anything, right, left or whatever. He just has views that come from all over the political spectrum. What I find though is that the biggest virtue signalers (whether on the left or right) will rail against someone the moment they have one belief that doesn't coincide with theirs. Mostly so they can show off how virtuous they are. Morrissey could have beliefs 1-14 that align with them but if belief 15 doesn't then 1-14 don't matter and we need to zero in on belief 15 to show off how righteous we are. In the end, who f***ing cares? He's a dude with a microphone who sings better than most people, thats it.

Morrissey didn't say that, didn't indicate that he knew she'd said it & he said:

I despise racism. I despise fascism.
I would do anything for my Muslim friends and I know they would do anything for me...

(Morrissey, Central, April 2018)
He wouldn’t. They wouldn’t.

Credit where it is due. This is exactly how Morrissey should be utilizing his web presence, with a well thought out, well written statement to address the issues. More of this, please. While I'm sure the follow-up post will be some nonsensical photo by his idiot nephew, it was refreshing for Morrissey to take control and not allow that dope to deliver the message.

Yes! More M and less dullard nephew.

That quote from June 2019 reads, to me, as though Morrissey had become aware of Anne Marie Waters, thinks she is "extremely intelligent, ferociously dedicated to this country, engaging and funny", something lacking from British politics - or politics in general. Having some like Anne Marie Waters on the politic main stage would encourage other leaders to do better, and by that Anne Marie Waters could have potentially united the left and right in someway, maybe.

On reflection, I think this is why Morrissey was vocal about Anne Marie Waters and the party she leads or lead. For Morrissey she stood out for reasons above and therefore reasons to be admired. A glimmer of hope. Perhaps Morrissey should have done some more research about the party but maybe he saw enough to be supportive of.

I think Morrissey has always remained true to himself and he is right, the Left has changed. I believe him when he says he is apolitical. Hope remains at a distance. It's the light that never goes out and yet now out shone by the blinding light of mobile phones that reflects in the eyes of most of us, let's be honest, scrolling through social media sites. We are the Vultures prey.
Walters unite Left and Right- aye, if only Hitler had given Stalin a call. What a right load of mither that would have saved.

Stereogum & NME links added to OP.
FWD.

That's a possibility. I haven't known Morrissey to be a fabulist, though. I do know that Miley Cyrus has an ugly habit of befriending 80s and 90s indie artists, and she seems unprincipled, at least in her public image and presentation, so I'd put odds on her lying in order to suck up to Morrissey. Conversely, what would Morrissey have to gain by lying about this?

I think you're right. I believe she's the type to say what she thinks a person wants to hear thinking they'll never find out.

I’m so glad Morrissey wrote this. I have never believed that he is right wing or racist or any of the awful things they’ve said about him. Like he has said himself he is apolitical and he has never hidden that. You could see it in his past interviews. I know people who also don’t believe the right or the left. They believe politicians are only about the power and what they can get not what they can do for the people. I’m really happy he wrote this. Now I just wish that BOT would be released. That’s all,

Billy Bragg? Wow. Can that be confirmed? I knew he had a bee in his bonnet about M, but plotting a campaign? That's serious business.
Bee in his bonnet? It's more or less all Bragg is now. "The Smiths are tainted" , "The light has gone out" "Morrissey is the Oswald Mosley of music" (that's the best one) ....calling out Moz during his shows. He's almost at the level of Skinny in his obsession.

serious business alright. Someone who hasn't wrote a good song in 30 years has to get some one to listen about something. It certainly wouldn't be to promote his new music. But the editor of the Gaurdian will always take his calls.

debate and speculate over the other three. Bragg is top if the list.

"I've been offended all of my life, and it has strengthened me, and I am glad. I wouldn't have the journey any other way." Bravo Mr. M :clapping: I feel the same way reflecting on my journey ♥️

I like the way you think. I can listen to Dog in the same way as Arsenal or Vauxhall, but not Low or Refusal. Adding Uncle nullifies your entire point though. :)

Stereogum & NME links added to OP.
FWD.

It's sad how M stated: In truth, Miley has backed off for reasons unconnected to me, having had a major clash with a key figure in 'the circle'.

And the NME titles their article: Morrissey hits back at “cancel vultures” suggesting Miley Cyrus dropped off collab due to his political views

It must be horrible having far-right views and not realising they're far-right views.

Nobody's cancelled him – it's just that loads used to like him who now think he's a dickhead … BECAUSE of the things he's said and the people he's thrown his backing behind.

Not voting is not the same thing as being apolitical, and he's been trying to trot that nonsense out for years. He's spoken at length, dug himself enormous holes, and sent diehard fans packing with his views on immigration. The idea that you can just talk about those things in non-political terms, when he's spoken glowingly about Anne Marie Waters and Farage, is pure fantasy. Some of the poisonous arseholes he's given a platform to via his website … just LAST MONTH Central had Paul Thomas Watson linked up again … who earlier last year was caught on tape spitting some extraordinarily offensive bile [listener advisory on that if you're unfamiliar].

You can't do things like that and throw your arms up that there's a conspiracy holding back your career. He or somebody close to him chose to do that. He is pissing on his own chips and then complaining that something on his plate tastes funny. Weirdly, self-sabotage does seem to be working for him, as loads in this comment thread are eating it all up, and it's something he's fallen back on more or less since the "sub-human" comment that got him so much completely deserved grief. His career was going just fine in that YATQ and ROTT run of records … and then he completely f***ed it up all by himself.

Anyway, this is essentially all out of grumpiness that he's screwed up his Capitol deal and his latest single's tanked. His stuff doesn't get airplay because he's been a tit and his singles have been, on the whole, really not great in recent years. Not including reissues, he's put out 17 singles in the last decade (many streaming-only affairs like Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?)

How many of those have actually been good? For my money, five, and that's being generous. We're certainly not talking Peak Morrissey Good either.

And his prattle about four people having it in for him is just laughable. The music media in the UK has never been less impactful. Many music writers shit bricks about giving anything too bad a review nowadays because the ensuing pile-on they get from an act's faithful can get so deranged.

There's positive hints in that statement suggesting to me that he feels a bit misunderstood but he needs to do much, much, much better than that. "Cancel Vultures" FFS.

BLAME ! BLAME ! FATAL BLAME !!!!……………….

At the non record company meeting at Beechmount.
On their hands a dead star and oh !
The look on Steve !!!!!!!
“Oh shit” said Steve “it’s time to weave“

Well, well, well !!!!!!!! (Thanks for the nod Steven ;))

Someone has just realised that they are a dog on chain after all.

Steven !!!! FFS !!! Take some responsibility for the position you find yourself in.
Until you do, you’re 4kd full stop Pal.

The only winner at the present is Martin (as I predicted)
Much love and sympathy to Alain. No doubt the best collaboration since Johnny yet shit on from un-high. Alain! “time has proved everything” all the songs are there for all to see Pal.

Best wishes to BrummieBoy, hope all is well in the Shire Sir :tiphat:

Benny 🇬🇧:knife:

Or... people could just think your songs for the past 10+ years have sucked.
And yet his Albums shoot up the charts often in at number 1 and do well in numerous countries. So no I don't think they do suck. Morrissey Albums actually outsell Smiths Albums.

Morrissey's lyrics and statements have generally been more 'woke' than almost anyone else, going by this definition: Woke - Aware of the injustice of the social system in which one lives: "The phenomenon of being woke is a cultural push to challenge problematic norms, systemic injustices and the overall status quo through complete awareness" (Raven Cras) - https://www.thefreedictionary.com/woke

But the woke concept itself now tends to not only prohibit challenge but becomes a proxy bone of contention when separate disapprovals are at play?

Agreed, that's why I put "wokeness" in quotes and labeled it "so-called." What it meant at first, when it was a shibboleth among gnostic American blacks, is no longer what it means when it's casually and constantly thrown out by angry right-wing goons like Paul Joseph Watson or the blowhards on Fox News. Nowadays it's a pejorative referring to the far-left dogmatism on things like gender pronouns. I believe Billy Bragg has even reworked the lyrics to Sexuality, when he plays it live, to include a line about pronouns. It's this new, wacky "wokeness" that Bragg is captive to. He boxed himself in ideologically long ago, and now he can't even reason his own way out. As Trump would say, "sad!"

I imagine Miley has a problem with Watt & his awful production; why else would she suddenly want her vocals removed? And if that’s the case, I wouldn’t blame her; I’ve still not listened to Rebels…a second time (shudder)

I doubt that's the case. Morrissey (so far) hasn't disowned the production, and he's called it the best album of his life (presumably having heard the finished product). If Miley Cyrus, who has worked with Andrew Watt multiple times in the past, has better taste than Morrissey, then the problem is even bigger than we thought.

And yet his Albums shoot up the charts often in at number 1 and do well in numerous countries. So no I don't think they do suck. Morrissey Albums actually outsell Smiths Albums.
17 years since his last number one album (discounting the Romanian cassette charts).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom