What will happen after the South America tour 2024?

What will Moz do careerwise in 2024?

• Total voters

Mimi Ramone

Call me too far gone to the point of no return
I wondered what the plans for next year could be in the Moz world... we know for sure, that supposedly the Quarry-gigs and the rescheduled South American Tour will happen. But what will follow after that? Right now it's looking rather grim. He can't be touring forever as in non-stop, but he needs to put his work out there for people to be able to consume it, which will not be the case as of now....discuss!

I voted "records a new album with the current line-up," on the very small chance that Gavin McInnes wasn't lying or wrong when he said Ezra Levant knows Morrissey and wants to buy Bonfire from Capitol. Listening to the song Juan Galeano won a Latin Grammy for, it's funky, even funkier than The Night Pop Dropped. I think Morrissey might lean into that. So I'll predict a new album, co-written with Jesse Tobias and Juan Galeano Toro. It will be called Play that funky music, and on the cover it'll be stylized with a comma like Quarry was, so it will read Play that funky music, Morrissey. Produced by JC for Rebel Media Records. Genres: funk, techno funk, art funk, Latin funk, funk rock, goth funk, psychedelic funk. Cover star: Dasha Nekrasova.

I’ve got a feeling he won’t bother with Latin America. Hope I’m wrong and he does all the dates but I personally think not.

I'm hoping he records a record with the current band, I'd love a funky/psychedelic Morrissey album, but he probably will continue touring

Unless a new LP comes out and moves things forward, it does feel a bit like he is running out of options. How many times can he rely on the annual UK tour, LA dates a residency in New York?

My hunches are, after the South America tour, we'll get:

1 - A new album recording with the new lineup. [The album will not be released, but at least we'll get new material at shows.]
2 - Tour of Italy/Spain/etc - all those European places he hasn't touched in years. [35% of the tour will be cancelled.]
3 - Celebrity Big Brother. Morrissey refuses to talk to any of the other housemates and gets voted off first, then calls it a conspiracy against him.

I think it's touring too, because what else can he do, but as the poster above said: how long can he rely on that? Or how can we rely on that when he wasn't even able to complete this tour, but it's the most likely option.

A new album, I don't know, of course new songs would be great, but I think that would be rushed for the sake of making something... he has a lot of unknown songs from the last two albums he can play live (if he would do that), I think adding a third could not be good in any way.

So I really hope it's the Surprise-option. Just blowing us all away with something totally unexpected (in a good way), whatever this could be. Because just continuing like it is at the moment would bore the heck out of him and us fans I think.

The hair, there has to be something done with the hair, then six months out of the spotlight to get used to it.

Just like the last few years there will be more tour dates announced,more tour dates cancelled,more disappointing set lists and more new dirges like "Notre Dame" and more fans will walk away.

If he needs other options other than constant touring, there's always 'Autobiography Part Two' and 'List of the Lost- the stage musical'.

I envision another wilderness period. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see him getting a new record deal or make any real and profound changes in his career anytime soon. There will be tours and gigs, some will go ahead, some will get cancelled. Until it stops.

Not sure, but more meaningless/irrelevant Central posts are guaranteed.

I don’t think the music press and record industry can/will continue ignoring him. The Smiths’ popularity keeps growing and he’s a huge part of that and he’s an icon in his own right of course.

And 2024 will be an iconic year in more ways than one.

Morrissey will be 65, it’s 40 years since the Smiths’ debut album, 30 years since Vauxhall and 20 years since Quarry. There will be enough to celebrate. The question of course remains if Moz will be willing to join the celebrations. Normally I would say no but his decision to do those out of character Quarry-dates gives me a good feeling he may.

Last edited:
I don’t think the music press and record industry can/will continue ignoring him. The Smiths’ popularity keeps growing and he’s a huge part of that and he’s an icon in his own right of course.

Morrissey will be 65, it’s 40 years since the Smiths’ debut album, 30 years since Vauxhall and 20 years since Quarry. There will be enough to celebrate. The question of course remains if Moz will be willing to join the celebrations. Normally I would say no but his decision to do those out of character Quarry-dates gives me a good feeling he may.
All very well and good. Yes it’s all down to him if he attends these events, but if I recall correctly, did he not attend the launch party to V&I ?

Oh they absolutely can continue to ignore him: the industry because they've decided he's almost impossible to work with, and journalists because either (a) they've made up their mind that his views are abhorrent to their readership or (b) he simply doesn't play the game of interviews/profiles/features etc.

Agree re 2024 and all those anniversaries, though. Only a true contrarian could manage to miss all of those open goals...

Still, we always have the dark horse of his (alleged) work on the (alleged) A$AP Rocky album.

Oh they absolutely can continue to ignore him: the industry because they've decided he's almost impossible to work with, and journalists because either (a) they've made up their mind that his views are abhorrent to their readership or (b) he simply doesn't play the game of interviews/profiles/features etc.

Agree re 2024 and all those anniversaries, though. Only a true contrarian could manage to miss all of those open goals...

Still, we always have the dark horse of his (alleged) work on the (alleged) A$AP Rocky album.
True of course. But I think the industry knows these are open goals too. There will be offers made I’m sure, but it remains to be seen whether he accepts them or not. We know what his demands will be (release new music) and we also know what the industry’s demands will be (play the game of interviews/features etc).

Normally I would think he wouldn’t do it, but these Quarry dates make me a little more optimistic that he’s willing to play the game (and coming around again, to paraphrase Carly Simon ;))

Back
Top Bottom