The Troy Tate Sessions

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
i just listened to them for the 1st time in years
and i have to say, i think they sucked mostly
i dont know what i thought years ago, but they are worth a listen
if you have not heard them....

i like them. i did not see what the problem with them was. i know they where missing some songs that where on the first album but other than that i torte they where ok

The problem with TT sessions is they're so badly mixed it's unbearable to listen to them. They sound like a demo made in the garage (or were they?)

I remember seeing somewhere earlier this year that the Troy Tate sessions for the first album are being digitally remastered and will be released later this year - did I imagine this, or did anyone else hear this?

Best Wishes,

Peter

Uncleskinny said:
I remember seeing somewhere earlier this year that the Troy Tate sessions for the first album are being digitally remastered and will be released later this year - did I imagine this, or did anyone else hear this?

Best Wishes,

Peter

Yeah I heard this too. Hopefully we'll hear the 'real' Troy Tate album soon as the versions everyone has heard were probably inferior bootleg quality.

Uncleskinny said:

Best Wishes,

Peter

I thought this was just what someone was wishing for in the 'upcoming' Smiths boxset.

I'd like to see it in anycase.

I dread to think what would have become of The Smiths' musical career if The Troy Tate album had been released commercially, it is very inferior to the latter Smiths Debut album, sound-wise anyway.

However, this album is a must to own on anyone's Smiths collection, :cool:

The key point here is the quality of the recordings and how much was done in the studio to clean them up. If we're hearing the Tate versions that would have gone onto the vinyl, then yeah, they're not very good. If not, I'd like to hear them all gussied up, because in many cases the songs sound livelier than the actual release-- like a halfway point between the tame (but still divine) "The Smiths" and the raw, blistering, far superior performances on "Hatful of Hollow".

At any rate, there is one Tate version I already prefer to the official one: "Pretty Girls Make Graves". With its faster beat and cleaner mix, I loved it ten seconds into my first listen (back in 1987, when it was a B-side). I imagine Morrissey might prefer it, too, since he dusted it off for release.

Idiotic speculation here, because you never tamper with genius, but can you imagine how good all the earlier songs would sound if The Smiths reunited to re-record them now, with Stephen Street at the desk? Or even if Morrissey just re-recorded his vocals? As good as the originals are, his voice is so much better now. If he played "Pretty Girls Make Graves" on his current tour it would sound like a completely new song.

I don't know, I really REALLY liked 'em. A lot. You know... tons... But don't listen to me, I've listened to punk most of my life hahaha :p. I personally think most music is quite overproduced... takes out a lot of the emotion and the... ehh nevermind I'll... wander off again ;).

The only time i really listened to this album was when i was blind drunk and lying on my bed i couldn't move i couldn't think of anything other than the sounds coming from my c.d player and i thought it was amazing it made me cry :o but i could put this down to being pissed as a newt..i don't think it is as bad as some say it is...maybe the copy i have is better quality than most i dunno :confused:

Uncleskinny said:

Best Wishes,

Peter

Skinny, I heard this too.

Worm said:
Idiotic speculation here, because you never tamper with genius, but can you imagine how good all the earlier songs would sound if The Smiths reunited to re-record them now, with Stephen Street at the desk? Or even if Morrissey just re-recorded his vocals? As good as the originals are, his voice is so much better now. If he played "Pretty Girls Make Graves" on his current tour it would sound like a completely new song.

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about this. I think his voice now, while better (actually, imo, it's just different, but the quality is the same to me), also evokes how he is different now as well.

I don't really like the idea of him re-recording the Smiths vocals in a studio setting.

The Morrissey Voice from the Smiths days is very comforting to me. In a way, him re-recording the vocals now - in a studio setting - would also possibly take away a bit from the excitement when one hears a Smiths song live for the first time... It's so special when he sings them live now, I can't help but think it would change that somehow - make it 'old hat', in a way. I don't know, though; I could be wrong.

Interesting thought, though.

Last edited:
Musings said:
Skinny, I heard this too.

Me too. If i remember correctly somebody on this board had spoken to Johnny whilst he was in the US recording with Modest Mouse, and said he was overseeing the remastering. Although i cant see a box set happening whilst Moz is still in legal tussles with Joyce. Also it would require Moz and Marr to actually communicate with one another, which if you believe what they have both recently said in the press, that isnt happening at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom