The Smiths vs. F*ing Dave Matthews Band

W

Wess Kroll

Hey,

I just recently got into an argument with a good friend of mine who claims to be the "biggest Dave Matthews fan in the world" on which band is better, his ass-hats vs. my one and only Smiths. I figured I would consult the Brother/Sisterhood here for some moral support and ideas for the argument the next time it comes up. Please indulge. Thanks!

> Hey,

> I just recently got into an argument with a good friend of mine who claims
> to be the "biggest Dave Matthews fan in the world" on which band
> is better, his ass-hats vs. my one and only Smiths. I figured I would
> consult the Brother/Sisterhood here for some moral support and ideas for
> the argument the next time it comes up. Please indulge. Thanks!

*puke*

Some misguided dicknose got me the new Dave Mathews album for Christmas and I've neglected to return it. It's still in the wrapper. Is there somebody out there who'd like it?

This probably wouldn't work on a fan, but consider the fans, dude!

Sure, Morrissey has his share of retarded fans, but Dave Matthews beats him on that front hands down. And at least you won't find many date-rapin' frat boys (who think having a hemp wallet and smoking a little weed makes them earthy and whose combined IQ would probably be higher than Dubya's, but just barely) among the legions of Moz fans.

> Hey,

> I just recently got into an argument with a good friend of mine who claims
> to be the "biggest Dave Matthews fan in the world" on which band
> is better, his ass-hats vs. my one and only Smiths. I figured I would
> consult the Brother/Sisterhood here for some moral support and ideas for
> the argument the next time it comes up. Please indulge. Thanks!

Dave Matthews is a complete unknown here, whereas he is mega on your side of the water.
When I was working in Canada a couple of years ago, one of my birds made a cd compilation (is that called burning?) of her favourite stuff for me.
I don't know if I should be saying this here, but I thought it wasn't too bad.
As I say,I don't know a single thing about him (apart from his name of course) or the reputation of his most fervent fans, but I thought the songs were okay.
Right....I'll get my coat.

He's not bad

I don't care for him much, but I'm forced to listen to the radio and I don't get jittery listening to his stuff.

He's a competent musician. He had a song recently that barely made a blip on the charts, but the video was pretty chilling. Called Grave Digger (refrain has a Smiths feel to it):

Cyrus Jones 1810 to 1913,
made his great grandchildren believe you could live to 103
a 103, is forever when you're just a little kid, so
Cyrus Jones lived forever

Muriel Stonewall 1903 to 1954,
she lost both of her babies in the second great war
now you should never have to watch your only children lowered in the ground
I mean you should
never have to bury your own babies

Gravedigger
when you dig my grave
could you make it shallow
so that I can feel the rain
Gravedigger

Little Mikey Parsons, 67 to 75
He rode his bike like the devil until the day he died
when he grows up he wants to be Mr. Vertigo on the flying trapeze
oh, 1940 to 1990

Gravedigger
when you dig my grave
could you make it shallow
so that I can feel the rain
Gravedigger

But a Matthews/Smiths comparison is like apples to oranges. A decade apart chronologically. Matthews is South African. Matthews certainly seems to puff a little doobie, or whatever the kids call it nowadays. Matthews crashes into me, Morrissey crashes into us. You know. Different.

I almost mentioned that one!

I pretty much hate Dave Matthews, but he had had a couple good songs. His solo efford "Grave Digger" being one. "Crash" being the other.

Yeah, I meant a couple literally.

Re: Well, thank god some of my north american readers didn't bite my head off....

.. but when she gave me that cd, I, in my UK absolute ignorance, was expecting a Bon Jovi/Van Halen vomitfest.
Fortunately (especially for the birds who cleaned my room), it didn't turn out that way.
I can also say with absolute honesty that I have never even seen a picture of the guy. It's sometimes hard to believe the differences the Atlantic makes. I haven't a scooby what he looks like.
But the songs aren't bad and are reasonably well written (by north american standards).
Nae offence.

Re: Well, thank god some of my north american readers didn't bite my head off....

Well Pat, Dave still sucks by and large, but you are forgiven.

Also Dave is really ugly. At least by my standards. Admittedly, I am spoiled by virtue of my being a Morrissey -- aka the most physically attractive man of all time -- fan. So be glad you haven't seen a piccie.