WhatCulture - The Smiths 20 greatest songs

Agree, they don't sound like anybody else and nobody sounds like them. They do feel more relevant again now we've got a crushing Conservative government in power though.

It's all opinions but the exclusion of Last Night I Dreamt is criminal.

Last edited:
Goosebumps...

Could have been written yesterday. Timeless. Relevant. Universal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this list better than most of the "Greatest Songs of The Smiths" lists that I've seen in the past. I realize that there really aren't any "right or wrong" answers on a list like this. Every fan has their favorites. That being written, the three songs on the list I'm not excited to see are, "London," "Back to the Old House," and "The Queen is Dead."

-"London" is cool, but I hardly ever listen to it. To me it's reminiscent of a lot of the songs by The Who. Just noise. I like Noonday Underground's song, also entitled "London," literally five times as much.

-"Back to the Old House" is beautiful. Beautiful and boring. That's just my take.

-"The Queen is Dead" thunders on with its musical repetiveness. Morrissey delivers an energetic vocal, and provides great lyrics, but the music just drones on for me.

Gladly, there were four songs I was surprised to see on the list. "Half a Person," "This Night Has Opened My Eyes," "Barbarism Begins at Home," and "Girl Afraid" are great selections. "Barbarism Begins at Home" is one of my all-time favorite songs to blast out of my car as I drive around. I know a lot of people think it's lame to blast songs out of your car but, I don't care. My car stereo's volume goes up to 41, and when I'm blasting this song its always at 41. Phenomenal song. There are many days when "Half A Person" is my favorite Smiths song. Many days.

"Whatculture" writes that "musically they covered a ridiculous amount of genres.....and heavy metal to name a few." Are they considering "London" to be a heavy metal song? Which Smiths song is it that they believe could be placed in the heavy metal genre? I know this isn't all that important and I'm too lazy to email them to ask my question. I just found it odd.

I liked this list better than most of the "Greatest Songs of The Smiths" lists that I've seen in the past. I realize that there really aren't any "right or wrong" answers on a list like this. Every fan has their favorites. That being written, the three songs on the list I'm not excited to see are, "London," "Back to the Old House," and "The Queen is Dead."

-"London" is cool, but I hardly ever listen to it. To me it's reminiscent of a lot of the songs by The Who. Just noise. I like Noonday Underground's song, also entitled "London," literally five times as much.

-"Back to the Old House" is beautiful. Beautiful and boring. That's just my take.

-"The Queen is Dead" thunders on with its musical repetiveness. Morrissey delivers an energetic vocal, and provides great lyrics, but the music just drones on for me.

Gladly, there were four songs I was surprised to see on the list. "Half a Person," "This Night Has Opened My Eyes," "Barbarism Begins at Home," and "Girl Afraid" are great selections. "Barbarism Begins at Home" is one of my all-time favorite songs to blast out of my car as I drive around. I know a lot of people think it's lame to blast songs out of your car but, I don't care. My car stereo's volume goes up to 41, and when I'm blasting this song its always at 41. Phenomenal song. There are many days when "Half A Person" is my favorite Smiths song. Many days.

"Whatculture" writes that "musically they covered a ridiculous amount of genres.....and heavy metal to name a few." Are they considering "London" to be a heavy metal song? Which Smiths song is it that they believe could be placed in the heavy metal genre? I know this isn't all that important and I'm too lazy to email them to ask my question. I just found it odd.

I thought the exact same thing.

Would replace those three with Well I wonder, Stretch Out and Wait, and Rubber Ring.

I thought the exact same thing.

Would replace those three with Well I wonder, Stretch Out and Wait, and Rubber Ring.

:) Wow!

I also would select "Rubber Ring" as one of my replacements. My other two choices would be "Wonderful Woman" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore." "That Joke..." has truly become one of my favorites this year. I've always liked it a lot, but this year I fell in love with it. This year its gained more ground with me than any other Smiths song.

-There would be only three songs I'd consider putting in the number one spot. They are "Rubber Ring," "Half A Person," and "Wonderful Woman."

-Frankly, I'm glad "Shakespeare's Sister" didn't make the list. It always seems to undeservedly splash onto these lists. It's probably been a decade and a half since I made it all the way through that song.

:) Wow!

I also would select "Rubber Ring" as one of my replacements. My other two choices would be "Wonderful Woman" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore." "That Joke..." has truly become one of my favorites this year. I've always liked it a lot, but this year I fell in love with it. This year its gained more ground with me than any other Smiths song.

-There would be only three songs I'd consider putting in the number one spot. They are "Rubber Ring," "Half A Person," and "Wonderful Woman."

-Frankly, I'm glad "Shakespeare's Sister" didn't make the list. It always seems to undeservedly splash onto these lists. It's probably been a decade and a half since I made it all the way through that song.

Yes! That one needs to be in the top twenty.

Oh dear, I really did mean his voice is amazing when he sings that song, beg..on hands and knees...

Are you being snarky? :D

I really hate when people interpret lyrics and post them on song meanings sites. I think a song is whatever it means to you. A great song should feel both universal and personal.

A great example of this is when people interpret all of Pete Doherty's songs to be about drugs, as if that's the man's only interest and concern.

I'd rather formulate my own opinion about meaning based upon my own life's experiences and values, than accept the subjective interpretations of others--whose insights are no more fine-tuned than my own.

still ill
a rush and a push
the queen is dead
bigmouth strikes again
live his latest flame Rusholme Ruffians
shoplifters of the world
sheila take a bow
there is a light
how soon is now
ask live
what she said
headmaster ritual
frankly mr shankly
stop me if you think that you've heard this one before
asleep
last night I dreamt somebody loved me
london
draize train

Picking 20 is like selecting 20 of your relatives to stay in the basket of an overloaded balloon. It's impossible. I'd have them all.

P.

Back
Top Bottom