The question that bothers me,WHAT IS PASHERNATE?

• Thread starter Naked under the kilt
  • Start date
N

Naked under the kilt

for me is a complete mistery,and I really want to know

> for me is a complete mistery,and I really want to know

Well, it's not technically a word, but through the context of the song, it would appear to be a sort of phonetic spelling of how he sings the word "passionate". I would be curious if you think "pashernate" means something other than "passionate", I wouldn't figure so, though. Perhaps a somewhat 'homely', overtyly northern prononciation? What with the mentions of sisters, granmothers, general domestic tone, perhaps that's the cue for the spelling?

Richard

> "passionate". I would be curious if you think
> "pashernate" means something other than "passionate",
> I wouldn't figure so, though. Perhaps a somewhat 'homely', overtyly
> northern prononciation? What with the mentions of sisters, granmothers,
> general domestic tone, perhaps that's the cue for the spelling?

I've given much thought as to why Morrissey uses 'pashernate' instead of passionate. In my opinion, it is a statement about being uneducated.

My Theory:

Either he is saying that he is far too intelligent to feel passionate love, unlike 'simple folk' who are ruled more by how they feel than what they think. Or, he is saying that he is the uneducated one who isn't smart enough to find passionate love. (or both)

The great irony is that Morrissey is full of love and passion. So I think 'Pashernate Love' is saying something about the intelligence of those who think that Morrissey is unable to love. A similiar tongue in cheek response he gave to those who said he was 'Miserable' back in the Smiths days.

I also believe he thought it was funny and he wanted to give us listeners something to think and talk about.

- Dallow Spicer

"Mad Pashernate Love" was also a hit single for Bernard Bresslaw from the Carry On films.

> "Mad Pashernate Love" was also a hit single for Bernard Bresslaw
> from the Carry On films.

You beat me to that reply!!

Back
Top Bottom