The Nolans' cover of "Panic" (1990) creates a stir, The Poke, December 13, 2023

The Nolans were a group about as far removed from The Smiths as it’s possible to get. Compare and contrast I’m in the Mood for Dancing with How Soon is Now? and you’ll see what we mean.

So we were a little surprised when this clip of The Nolans covering the classic Smiths’ song Panic appeared on Twitter. Thanks to Ash Preston for sharing.

The discussion generated is then set out.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unbearable mess! Shameful sabotage! 🙊 Bring back good old Hamish Hawk after all 😎

Unbearable mess! Shameful sabotage! 🙊 Bring back good old Hamish Hawk after all 😎

Ah, this post makes me remember good old Vegan Cro, kinda.

Tryin ta give Panic the ol’ Guns’n’Roses Christmas Special treatment!

As in like, someone somewhere in 1990 probably thought getting Guns n Roses on tv for a Christmas Special of anything would be really “festive”, and if Guns n Roses were on tv for a weird Christmas Special of something or other then i feel like the Nolan sisters could be the weird Guns n Roses Christmas Special backing dancers

i think it’s so bad also because in 1990 some people just thought it was still going to be the 80s forever and they were clearly still working on trying to figure that concept out when this was being filmed

There is a certain viewpoint that if a song is that good, anyone can cover it and it will be great, but...... that was bloody awful.
The only 'band' who could do a worse job is Bucks Fizz.

6-Bucks-GETTY.jpg

p.s. nobody bats an eyelid when they dressed like that. Moz has the flag and world war breaks out.

Tryin ta give Panic the ol’ Guns’n’Roses Christmas Special treatment!

As in like, someone somewhere in 1990 probably thought getting Guns n Roses on tv for a Christmas Special of anything would be really “festive”, and if Guns n Roses were on tv for a weird Christmas Special of something or other then i feel like the Nolan sisters could be the weird Guns n Roses Christmas Special backing dancers

i think it’s so bad also because in 1990 some people just thought it was still going to be the 80s forever and they were clearly still working on trying to figure that concept out when this was being filmed
Yes, the Nolans were Guns N’ Roses.
Idiot.

6-Bucks-GETTY.jpg

p.s. nobody bats an eyelid when they dressed like that. Moz has the flag and world war breaks out.

In front of a picture of skinheads it gives a different meaning.

In front of a picture of skinheads it gives a different meaning.

It was a picture of Caroline & Debbie from Brighton, photographed by NME regular Derek Ridgers, who have no known dodgy connections.

Subcultz_now-and-then_skinhead_girls_caroline_debbie.jpg

It was a picture of Caroline & Debbie from Brighton, photographed by NME regular Derek Ridgers, who have no known dodgy connections.

View attachment 99040

Derek Ridgers photographed people with extreme lifestyles and looks. That was his thing.

6-Bucks-GETTY.jpg

acton,land of make believe is one of my favourite songs,play it regularly,just shows we all have different tastes,some good some bad.

acton,land of make believe is one of my favourite songs,play it regularly,just shows we all have different tastes,some good some bad.
Interesting fact, Peter Sinfield, who wrote the Land of Make Believe actually said that it was a dig at Thatchers government.
Don't believe me? Look on google, i cant see it myself but thats what he said.

View attachment 99040

That site took the article from this site without leaving any credit.

Original post:

That site took the article from this site without leaving any credit.

Original post:

I thought I remembered it. Shameful of them.

Back
Top Bottom