studies in sociological boredom continues

S

suzanne

Last night, I went to the Saxon Pub with some of my friends. For whatever reason, they were determined to see a band as long as the venue was in South Austin...so this means we were stuck with seeing John Dee Graham.

I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but he was a bit eerie because he dressed like my grandpa, down to the nice dress shirt that looked like he had worn it while pulling weeds out of the garden. He was a much older guy with a similar shaped head which didn't help. he also had a beef with the people at Bud Light because they turned down sponsoring his band because they didn't sound enough like a "good time party band."

Oh the vomit of coporate america.

True, I didn't care much for his music, but he decided towards the end that everyone needed to get up and shake their groove thang. I sat because I was really tired. Most people sit down, and the next song comes on. Some guy, that didn't look a day younger than 50, gets my attention and wants to dance.

I turn him down, and he starts going "come on!" and then starts doing one of those dances you either see in a beer commercial or in a Mike Myers movie. He twitches around and starts beckoning me in some feigned seductive way. I say, "no!" repeatedly and he keeps on until I finally have to ignore the guy.

After he dances with some other girl, he takes a place at the table behind us. I knew I made the right judgment call, when I turn around to talk to one of my friends and see this guy slapping and punching himself in the face. He was also making weird noises and growling which caused my friend to say, "scoot over!" so we could make room for her chair to get as far away as possible.

This makes it true: Austin is the land of the weirdos.

> This makes it true: Austin is the land of the weirdos.

damn straight.

-Andrew S.

(who hasnt read this board for like a month but for some reason decided to read it tonight...)

(by the way...i've committed to wearing a shirt that says

"Don't be Austin."

i think suzanne might be one of the few that gets that)

> damn straight.

> -Andrew S.

> (who hasnt read this board for like a month but for some reason
> decided to read it tonight...)

> (by the way...i've committed to wearing a shirt that says

> "Don't be Austin."

> i think suzanne might be one of the few that gets that)

Yes. If you are referring to the yuppiefied-let's tear down anything that makes us vaguely interesting in name of yet another boring microchip company that may finish building the building they promised to build-and then let's go out at night to see some god awful white boy funk bands at clubs with an audience filled with dirty old men looking for girls who look like they are barely old enough to drink-part of austin.

There was a time when Austin was cool. Sometime before there were enough lazy whiney Lexus driving types insistant on building a zillion parking garages for Hyde park churches.

Then again, John Dee Graham still obviously had an audience back then or he wouldn't have been there last night.

Back
Top Bottom