Stephen Street

Broinx

Nothing to declare...
What do you really, really, really think about Stephen Street?

I mean, he’s been involved (as engineer or producer) in several key albums by The Smiths – he even produced the last one which is hold by the members as their best. He then went to work with Morrissey on his first solo album.

He has also been involved with some other very nice bands or individual works as Blur, The Cranberries, The Durutti Column (“The Guitar and Other Machines” is not the best but is very well crafted) and a very nice record which is the reason why I’m posting this thread: The Mighty Lemon Drops – “Happy Head”.

Have you heard that?! It simply amazed me. Although often compared to Echo & The Bunnymen I think they go deeper and stronger.

But anyway, what about Stephen Street? Wasn’t his work with Morrissey good? Aren’t Morrissey’s albums produced by old school producers (Steve Lillywhite, e.g.) his best?

Oh, I thought you meant this Stephen Street, in Hebden Bridge, West Yorks:D
ros_piccksus_110.jpg

Jukebox Jury

What do you really, really, really think about Stephen Street?

I mean, he’s been involved (as engineer or producer) in several key albums by The Smiths – he even produced the last one which is hold by the members as their best. He then went to work with Morrissey on his first solo album.

He has also been involved with some other very nice bands or individual works as Blur, The Cranberries, The Durutti Column (“The Guitar and Other Machines” is not the best but is very well crafted) and a very nice record which is the reason why I’m posting this thread: The Mighty Lemon Drops – “Happy Head”.

Have you heard that?! It simply amazed me. Although often compared to Echo & The Bunnymen I think they go deeper and stronger.

But anyway, what about Stephen Street? Wasn’t his work with Morrissey good? Aren’t Morrissey’s albums produced by old school producers (Steve Lillywhite, e.g.) his best?

yes, no, no, yes, yes and not necessarily!
remember, Lillywhite also produced Southpaw and Maladjusted.
generally, I'm a huge fan of the Street/Morrissey compositions.
the quality of the first three solo singles was phenomenal. wonderful pieces of music, gorgeous arrangements, impeccable musicianship. just think how different the Moz solo catalogue would be if he'd maintained that kind of form...

I miss Mr Street, they seemed to have a really good understanding back then but quite often with Morrissey it came down to finances and they fell out.

Stephen´s work with Morrissey was great! But the collaborators are also at his best indeed!

I really like Alain Whyte´s stuff.

But during all these years, Stephen Street work had lost many of is characteristics. And now he´s not at the top, and he´s a strange for many people.:rolleyes:

Love his work on the 2nd and 3rd Blur albums -- which he's repeating to a (lesser) degree with Kaiser Chiefs.

As a songwriter, though, he never really wrote anything of note (anything at all?) after Morrissey.

Yes, Stephen Street was brilliant. His work has stood the test of time. I'm glad Morrissey parted ways with him, though, because Street definitely bridged The Smiths and his solo work. He needed to break free entirely. Mick Ronson is Morrissey's ideal solo producer, I think; as much as I love "Vauxhall and I" it was a step backward, as far as production goes, to return to a Smiths-y sound. After that...hit and miss on the knob-twiddlers.

Oh, I like the Lemon Drops fine but I must vehemently disagree that they are better in any way than Echo & The Bunnymen.

Love his work on the 2nd and 3rd Blur albums -- which he's repeating to a (lesser) degree with Kaiser Chiefs.

As a songwriter, though, he never really wrote anything of note (anything at all?) after Morrissey.

Now it is time to Stephen to return for more collaborations with God Moz. But i thing he´ll never do that again:rolleyes: because of lack of payment.:D

It´s a pitty that Moz had lost so many good partners because questions of money.:tears:

The Morrissey/Street is my favorite of the Morrissey/Producer combinations .. Strangeways, Viva hate and Bona Drag is just wonderfully done with all the right touches given. I love that really poppy sound he gets out of Moz, I felt it was very defining. Songs like Lucky Lisp and I don't mind if you forget me are just purely great pop songs and all the credit can't go to Moz. I always just got the feeling that every other producer Moz has gone with has made him try to sound a certain way, or like a certain sound ... with Street is felt more like he was just allowing Moz to be Moz!

Recently he carried on that magnificent pop style with Kaiser Chiefs too, when I listen to them there is definitely Stephen Street elements that shine through, the keyboards on Ruby for example is classic Street.

The Morrissey/Street is my favorite of the Morrissey/Producer combinations .. Strangeways, Viva hate and Bona Drag is just wonderfully done with all the right touches given. I love that really poppy sound he gets out of Moz, I felt it was very defining. Songs like Lucky Lisp and I don't mind if you forget me are just purely great pop songs and all the credit can't go to Moz. I always just got the feeling that every other producer Moz has gone with has made him try to sound a certain way, or like a certain sound ... with Street is felt more like he was just allowing Moz to be Moz!

Recently he carried on that magnificent pop style with Kaiser Chiefs too, when I listen to them there is definitely Stephen Street elements that shine through, the keyboards on Ruby for example is classic Street.

Personally i think that Kaiser Chiefs are rubbish! And it´s not a great band like for example: Cranberries or Blur.:cool:

Yes, Stephen Street was brilliant. His work has stood the test of time. I'm glad Morrissey parted ways with him, though, because Street definitely bridged The Smiths and his solo work. He needed to break free entirely. Mick Ronson is Morrissey's ideal solo producer, I think; as much as I love "Vauxhall and I" it was a step backward, as far as production goes, to return to a Smiths-y sound. After that...hit and miss on the knob-twiddlers.

Oh, I like the Lemon Drops fine but I must vehemently disagree that they are better in any way than Echo & The Bunnymen.

You know, I think that Echo don't "stood the test of time". I mean, now that I know a lot more of 80's bands, Echo & The Bunnymen have left my Best List. I think they have great ideas in songs, but don't you think that they can't really finish a song? The songs start great but the endings aren't that imiaginative. No way to compare them to Joy Division, as many do... About the Lemon Drops, well I just got acquainted with that album and it seemed/sounded really great. And it seemed perfect to post something about Stephen Street... which brought very favorable comments.

You know, I think that Echo don't "stood the test of time". I mean, now that I know a lot more of 80's bands, Echo & The Bunnymen have left my Best List. I think they have great ideas in songs, but don't you think that they can't really finish a song? The songs start great but the endings aren't that imiaginative. No way to compare them to Joy Division, as many do... About the Lemon Drops, well I just got acquainted with that album and it seemed/sounded really great. And it seemed perfect to post something about Stephen Street... which brought very favorable comments.

What you described above can more accurately be applied to The Wild Swans.

I would agree in general that the Bunnymen's ideas were greater than their songs, the structures of which were often baggy, unrefined, and once in a while ended with a fizzle. It's not a problem that bothers me much, since I rather liked their "ideas", and in my opinion, after their first album, they certainly knew how to finish songs: "The Killing Moon", "Nothing Lasts Forever", "My Kingdom", "The Cutter", "Show of Strength", "Bring On The Dancing Horses", "Ocean Rain" and many others have great, often majestic endings.

Last edited:
I've heard Vinni Reilly singing and playing during the "Viva hate" session.

He played it on some radio show, though Street denies all claims to this.

Did he write any songs, probably Hairdresser On Fire"..

The whole dispute comes up (and remains just as unresolved) in Jewel in the Crown.

It's one of those things that could be sorted quite easily if someone would ask Morrissey. It'd have to be a career-spanning interview though, otherwise it'd come off like a non-sequitur and Moz would blow it off.

From seeing various Stephen Street interviews it's my view that the problem was with egos rather than money. Money was just an excuse to fall out. Stephen saw himself as replacing Marr (being a full band member and going on tour and receiving the same acclaim), Morrissey didn't see it that way. Perhaps Stephen's subsequent career is what he is better suited to?

I have Vini singing Hairdresser On Fire somewhere in my collection.

Vini claims to have written pretty much the whole album, I believe. He also says he should have had a production credit as well. Although he does admit to not playing a thing on Suedehead and he, remarkably, refused to play on Everyday Is Like Sunday as he thought the chord changes were beneath him. So take that as you will in regards to the rest of the album.

Did someone here mentioned The Wild Swans??? Great band!!!:D And by the way, about Echo and Joy Division, and don´t forget The Sound. Adrian Borland´s band.;)

Tags
stephen street
Back
Top Bottom