Statement by Morrissey in Hot Press on Queen's visit to Ireland

The Very Existence of the Queen Is Against Any Notion of Democracy - Hot Press

16 May 2011

This is just one of a number of compelling charges set down by Morrissey in an article written for Hot Press, to coincide with the Queen's visit to Ireland

The Queen's visit to Ireland is part of a new Palace PR campaign to re-invent the Windsors. The message from the Queen will be the same as ever: who we are born to is more important than what we achieve in life.

It should be remembered by the Irish people that as recently as the turn of the 1980s the Queen supported Margaret Thatcher by not dismissing Thatcher as she allowed hunger strikers to die at the Maze Prison, most famously Bobby Sands, who was 27 years old. As Sands starved to death in protest at being tagged a 'criminal' and not a 'political prisoner' by the Thatcher government, the Queen sat in her Palace and said nothing. If the Queen had any human feelings for the Sands family or other hunger strikers then she did not express them.

The full meaning of the Monarchy is, like the Queen herself, a complete mystery to most people. It is protected from any investigations by ridiculous stories of trivia and wedding dresses and on-again-off-again soap-drama romances. The most revealing statement came from Commander Christine Jones of the Metropolitan Police last month, when she warned that any British people carrying anti-royal placards who are "seen in the vicinity of the royal wedding would be removed under the Public Order Act." This means that any political dissent in England is silenced in order to protect the royals, which in itself goes against every principle of democracy.

The very existence of the Queen and her now enormous family – all supported by the British taxpayer whether the British taxpayer likes it or not – is entirely against any notion of democracy, and is against freedom of speech. For a broad historical view of what the Queen is and how she "rules", examine Gaddafi or Mubarak, and see if you can spot any difference.

You won't be able to.

The Queen also has the power to give back the six counties to the Irish people, allowing Ireland to be a nation once again. The fact that she has not done so is Fascism in full flow. What else could it be? Name one other European country that is controlled by its neighbour?

MORRISSEY

May 2011

Uncleskinny also sends the link:

Morrissey says the Queen should give six counties back to Ireland - Hot Press

Excerpt:

With the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Ireland due to begin tomorrow, Tuesday May 17, the Lancashire born singer, songwriter and performer Steven Patrick Morrissey has written an article for Hot Press, which challenges in trenchant terms the appropriateness of welcoming the British monarch to Ireland.

...The full article appears in the issue of Hot Press which hits the streets this Thursday, May 19.

7901892_3510-coverrough.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today The ueen visited Cork. A notoriously staunch Republican hot bed. The 10,000 people who turned up to see her didn't barrack her,abuse her,taunt her. Shout IRA slogans? No they shook her hand and waved Union Jacks!!! Beautiful. Even the taigs love her!! The Queen Is Not Dead x

Seriously, take your sectarian shit and f*** off. People like you are far more welcome on a Rangers/UDA/UFF supporters board than you are here.
Go. Now. Please.
And take your sectarian. discriminatory, offensive language with you.

Karl,

What happened to you was wrong but lets face it Protestants have also been forced out of areas by Catholics. There's wrong on both sides and it's a shame to see you can't rise about your own experiences and have become a bigotted sectarian yourself. Your hatred of Protestants comes out in your post.

Protestants can pass themselves off as lovely british brits all they want, but most of them are still horrible, racist, sectarian, evil nasty c***s.
And that's not an opinion, that's first-hand experience.

I suggest you take your own advice...

Seriously, take your sectarian shit and f*** off.

I grew up in Northern Ireland. We had to move house when I was 11 and when I was 15 because Unionists/Protestants didn't want us living there. When I was doing my 11+ and my GCSEs. My family did f*** all, never said a wrong word to anyone - our family was being Catholic. My grandparents couldn't afford to move out of the town where we lived - they were terrorised by 20 year old Unionists, who spray-painted offensive slogans about her on her garden fence not long after she died.
My granny babysat a lot of the same people who graffitii'd her fence.

I, too, grew up in Northern Ireland and am a Unionist. The sectarian bigotry you experienced was shameful and should not have happened. Three points are worth making, though. Firstly, people on both sides of the religious divide were subjected to bigotry - Catholic people did not have a monopoly on suffering and victimhood. Secondly, the bigotry which existed on both sides was a product of a variety of social & political factors, rather than a product of religion (see, for example, your own attitude toward protestants). Thirdly, you've just made yourself look like a hypocritical twat. And a bigot.

Well done on that.

I didn't have to be around in 1981 to know that Bobby Sands' and the other hunger strikers death's caused outrage, simply because that blackened lump of coal that Thatcher stole from the miners and called a heart, wouldn't allow her to even negotiate an end these young men dying. At the very least she could have ordered medical intervention, even though they didn't want it. At the most she could have listened to some of the concerns coming from the Maze prison. Namely that Sands and co were being assaulted and abused, which is no way for a civilized nation to treat it's prisoners, no matter what they've done; as Morrissey points out, every prisioner is someone's child, someone's parent or sibling. Everyone has a family who shouldn't have to suffer because of what one member of their family did.

You (and Morrissey) want to extend sympathy to convicted members of the IRA? You want people who - unlike you - DID live through their campaign of terror to agree with you? You believe that there was merit in their demand to be accorded the respect normally given to actual soldiers? You believe that, having been taken to court, tried and convicted for their crimes, they ought to have been treated with humanity and understanding? Laudable, though that undoubtedly is, I think you and Steven really need to take some time and acquaint yourself with, at least, a few of the unpalatable truths about the IRA, before presuming to assert their rights. There's a whole internet full of facts out there, my friend. Feel free to avail of them.

Let's stick with the issue of criminal justice, though, since you seem to be keen on it. Because the IRA sought to contest the existence of Northern Ireland as an entity that was/is legally, politically & ethnically distinct from the Republic of Ireland, they, by extension, refused to recognise the legitimacy of agencies of the state (or, at least some of them - I've yet to hear of any of them refusing a hospital bed or Social Security cheque). This, of course, included the police service and the courts etc. All very consistent and very noble, I'm sure you'll agree. They then enforced a rule in their communities & neighbourhoods that ensured that ordinary people did not rely on the police if they were a victim of crime. So, for example, if your house had been burgled or your car had been stolen, you couldn't report it to the police. If you were a woman who had been raped, you could not report it to the police. Even if your child had been the victim of a paedophile, you could not report it to the police. I'm honestly not making this stuff up: (http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-new...ive-gerry-adams-ignored-two-more-rape-victim/).

Ruling by fear, the IRA took it upon themselves to "police" their own neighbourhoods and administer their own idea of justice. The IRA - with Sinn Féin acting as a first point-of-contact for those who wanted to complain about alleged ne'er-do-wells in their area - would act as judge, jury and executioner (often literally). The process would work something like this: kid (and - particularly in the case of the IRA - it was common for the "offenders" to be children) causes nuisance in the neighbourhood; local resident gets pissed off and either visits his local Sinn Féin representative's office or has a word in the ear of the local IRA bully-boy; said bully-boy turns up at the accused's house late at night with, perhaps, half a dozen of his fellow-thugs, all tooled-up, and they proceed to beat him or her to within an inch of their life or, at least, until s/he is unrecognisable. Ironically, I can recall a case of one man whose "punishment" has always put me in mind of the "poor Asian boy" who might've got impaled on railings in the song "Asian Rut". In this instance, the man in question was beaten to a pulp until, "he was bleeding from his eyes and bleeding from his ears," and then he was nailed - crucifixion style - to a fence (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/belfast-man-in-hospital-after-crucifixion-603124.html). Curiously, though, Steven seemed to think such things were uncivilised, back in 1991. Morrissey, eh? He's just so mercurial, isn't he?

(Continues below)

... Or how about this little gem of humane treatment of an alleged offender? Surely an example to us all...

Gerard McMahon - a teenager with a mental age of eight - was visiting his mother's house on the day that she received cancer test results when the IRA came calling.
Up to 10 masked men, some carrying guns, others wielding US police-style batons, burst through the door of Mary McMahon's home on the Ballymurphy estate in west Belfast.

Their target was Gerard, a 16-year-old with an IQ of 45, who has been on powerful anti-depressants since he was raped as a child by a relative. His crimes include theft, joyriding and drug taking. The punishment was a severe beating that could have been worse but for neighbours' intervention.

Local IRA members beat Gerard in front of his cancer-stricken mother, two younger brothers and a sister. When Mary leapt on the assailants she was hit as well.

Huddled in the front room of their home in Rock Grove, a narrow lane of dilapidated postwar houses off the Whiterock Road in the heart of republican Belfast, the McMahons said they had nothing left to lose by being one of the few families to speak out about punishment beatings despite the threat of retaliation.

For them, like scores of other working-class families in loyalist and republican areas, talk of a peace process is meaningless, as paramilitary groups on both sides of the sectarian divide continue to carry out punishment beatings and shootings despite claiming to be on ceasefire.

Mary McMahon speaks for her son, who can barely string coherent sentences together and cannot write his own name. 'It was the Thursday before Christmas when they came. Gerard had just signed bail and would usually be at my daughter Elaine's house, because that's part of the bail conditions. He only came to me see because he wanted to see if I was all right. On the day of the attack I had just got back the first of my tests for cancer treatment. The doctors had told me my thyroids had collapsed and that I might need surgery.

'It must have been around 6.15pm when the door was pushed in. There were between eight and 10 of them, all masked. Some had balaclavas on, one had a Celtic scarf wrapped around his face. A few had guns, the others held these batons, like the American peelers have. They shouted to me "Who is upstairs?" One of them asked my son Stephen, who is 12, who was up there, while pointing a gun at him.

'At first I really thought it was a joke, and then I thought maybe they were looking for my other son Paul, who is in prison on drugs charges. But then they went for Gerard, who was sitting on the sofa, and I jumped up. I threw myself on top of Gerard and shouted "Roll yourself up in a ball, son." One of the gunmen shouted: "Let go, you f***ing bitch." The rest of the kids were screaming and my husband came downstairs. Another of them shouted to him: "Hold her or she'll be shot."

'I kept screaming "Who are you? And what are you here for?" They said nothing. There was a hefty one who managed to drag me off Gerard. He hit me and tore my jumper during the struggle. I think I hit one of them with an ashtray. Then they dragged Gerard to the bathroom and I could hear him screaming from in there. After that they dragged him outside to the alleyway. I went into the bathroom and saw blood everywhere; after that I passed out.'

Gerard said he was beaten about the legs and heads with guns and batons. Three front teeth were knocked out. Neighbours rushed to the house and, according to Mary, their arrival forced the attackers to flee.

With his baseball cap and tracksuit trousers - the 'uniform' of petty criminals in working-class Belfast - Gerard points to the gaps in his teeth and keeps repeating: 'They just kept hitting me, they just kept hitting me.'

Mary is convinced the Provisional IRA carried out the attack. The IRA shot Paul shortly before he was convicted of possessing drugs last year. She dismissed any suggestion that republican dissidents were behind the beating. Ironically, the first person to rush to her aid was Margaret O'Connor, whose son Joe, a Real IRA member, was shot dead by the Provisionals in October last year.

'I've lived in Ballymurphy for 20 years and I know who did this - it was the Provos and everyone else on the estate knows it as well.'

She accepts that Gerard has been involved in crime but insists no one deserves to be beaten in front of their mother and younger siblings.

'My younger kids are terrified. Stephen and Gary, who's eight, sleep in their clothes every night in case the bad men come back. Gary has been wetting the bed since it happened. They're afraid to open the door. Claire won't sleep here and is staying with her aunt.

'Gerard is no angel, and I believe if he is found guilty of a crime by the courts he should be put in jail. I would not like to think, for instance, that he would drive a stolen car that would kill or injure someone... But no one has the right to do this, no one. If I hit my kids to stop them doing things even a fraction of the way the IRA did I would be up in court for child abuse.'

Mary is so determined to keep Gerard on the straight and narrow that she forced him to give evidence against two relatives accused of murdering a man in west Belfast.

She has a message for one of Sinn Fein's two Ministers in the Northern Ireland power-sharing Executive, Bairbre de Brun, in charge of health, social services and public safety in the Province.

'I would just like to ask her what she is going to do about people terrifying children and women in their own home. She is in charge of my health and that of Gerard's too, so can she give me any answers?'

The Observer repeatedly requested de Brun's depart ment for an answer to this question. So far there has been no reply, although she is on record as opposing so-called punishment beatings.

As for the peace process, Mary says there is no peace for people like her: 'Nobody seems to care what's happening. It seems that as long as there's no bombs in England or policemen or soldiers being shot, then anything goes. People like us don't count in the peace process.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jan/07/northernireland.henrymcdonald

Now, I don't know if you're familliar with the European Convention on Human Rights (that's the thing the Daily Mail and its readers are always banging on about), but the IRA, in the hundreds of instances of brutal summary "justice" they've administered, seem to have breached their victims' rights: to live free from torture (Article 3); their right to liberty & security (Article 5); their right to a fair trial (Art. 6); their right to live without punishment unless they have broken the law (Article 7) and, finally, their victims' rights to respect for his/her private and family life (Article 8).

These cases are by no means exceptional. In the period during which records were kept (1988-2003), the IRA meted out, on average, one hundred and one such punishment beatings / shootings to people in their own community every year - that's about one every three or four days.

You say that Thatcher should have, "listened to some of the concerns coming from the Maze prison. Namely that Sands and co were being assaulted and abused". I agree that people in jail should not be ill-treated, but merely being told to wear a prison uniform (which was one of the key reasons why they went on hunger strike in the first place) isn't the most brutal - or the most unreasonable - punishment I've ever heard of, particularly in light of the way that they, themselves, treated those whom they deemed to be "offenders".

Seriously, take your sectarian shit and f*** off. People like you are far more welcome on a Rangers/UDA/UFF supporters board than you are here.
Go. Now. Please.
And take your sectarian. discriminatory, offensive language with you.

Protestants can pass themselves off as lovely british brits all they want, but most of them are still horrible, racist, sectarian, evil nasty c***s.

There's quite an inconsistency in your two posts, there, Karl. Can you see what you did?

About that last bit...i always wanted to believe that hewitt rumour just for the total shitstorm it would have caused should it have come out but i'm afraid you can blind me with science but it fails on one major point...if you looked at Harry at the recent wediing hes blinking Charles looking at you, hes grown more like his father in the last few years so i'm afraid we'll have to take our mudraking elsewhere...

You (and Morrissey) want to extend sympathy to convicted members of the IRA? You want people who - unlike you - DID live through their campaign of terror to agree with you? You believe that there was merit in their demand to be accorded the respect normally given to actual soldiers? You believe that, having been taken to court, tried and convicted for their crimes, they ought to have been treated with humanity and understanding? Laudable, though that undoubtedly is, I think you and Steven really need to take some time and acquaint yourself with, at least, a few of the unpalatable truths about the IRA, before presuming to assert their rights. There's a whole internet full of facts out there, my friend. Feel free to avail of them.

Let's stick with the issue of criminal justice, though, since you seem to be keen on it. Because the IRA sought to contest the existence of Northern Ireland as an entity that was/is legally, politically & ethnically distinct from the Republic of Ireland, they, by extension, refused to recognise the legitimacy of agencies of the state (or, at least some of them - I've yet to hear of any of them refusing a hospital bed or Social Security cheque). This, of course, included the police service and the courts etc. All very consistent and very noble, I'm sure you'll agree. They then enforced a rule in their communities & neighbourhoods that ensured that ordinary people did not rely on the police if they were a victim of crime. So, for example, if your house had been burgled or your car had been stolen, you couldn't report it to the police. If you were a woman who had been raped, you could not report it to the police. Even if your child had been the victim of a paedophile, you could not report it to the police. I'm honestly not making this stuff up: (http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-new...ive-gerry-adams-ignored-two-more-rape-victim/).

Ruling by fear, the IRA took it upon themselves to "police" their own neighbourhoods and administer their own idea of justice. The IRA - with Sinn Féin acting as a first point-of-contact for those who wanted to complain about alleged ne'er-do-wells in their area - would act as judge, jury and executioner (often literally). The process would work something like this: kid (and - particularly in the case of the IRA - it was common for the "offenders" to be children) causes nuisance in the neighbourhood; local resident gets pissed off and either visits his local Sinn Féin representative's office or has a word in the ear of the local IRA bully-boy; said bully-boy turns up at the accused's house late at night with, perhaps, half a dozen of his fellow-thugs, all tooled-up, and they proceed to beat him or her to within an inch of their life or, at least, until s/he is unrecognisable. Ironically, I can recall a case of one man whose "punishment" has always put me in mind of the "poor Asian boy" who might've got impaled on railings in the song "Asian Rut". In this instance, the man in question was beaten to a pulp until, "he was bleeding from his eyes and bleeding from his ears," and then he was nailed - crucifixion style - to a fence (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/belfast-man-in-hospital-after-crucifixion-603124.html). Curiously, though, Steven seemed to think such things were uncivilised, back in 1991. Morrissey, eh? He's just so mercurial, isn't he?

(Continues below)

Alex ferguson goes into a pub in london with Kenny Daglish and orders 2 scotches Barman says to Kenny Daglish “sorry mate over 18 only!”

Now lock this thread as it is getting boring as hell when people cannot accept that the man they once loved has views some people don't agree with.

Urban in Sweden (the only welfare country in the entire world while the rest of ya live in 3rd world toilets)

Wish he could write such clever and true lyrics like the ones used in this article. He needs to write more political lyrics like he once did and I see this statement as a proof that he still supports the IRA like many of us do. I can also see comments here from so called fans that he simply does not need at all. A sad fact that people who follow him know so little about what he is truly about and what his standpoint is on politics and life in general.
Thank you Morrissey, you installed my faith in you!

Urban in Sweden

f*** off you Swedish c***.

I suggest you take your own advice...

I, too, grew up in Northern Ireland and am a Unionist. The sectarian bigotry you experienced was shameful and should not have happened. Three points are worth making, though. Firstly, people on both sides of the religious divide were subjected to bigotry - Catholic people did not have a monopoly on suffering and victimhood. Secondly, the bigotry which existed on both sides was a product of a variety of social & political factors, rather than a product of religion (see, for example, your own attitude toward protestants). Thirdly, you've just made yourself look like a hypocritical twat. And a bigot.

Well done on that.

Thanks, big boy.

If Morrissey's so brave how come he didn't play Belfast after making his disgusting remarks about the Brighton bomb during his Smiths days?

Oh yeah cos he's a coward and an embarrassment.

And you're ill informed.
The Smiths played Belfast on the 21st November 1984, just weeks after the NME interview.
I know cos I was there.

He does come out with some utter shite though.
This is the latest in a long line of embarrassing juvenile bleatings.

The notion that the Queen should have spoken out at the time about Bobby Sands is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Morrissey, you're 52, not 15. Now grow up.

I grew up in Northern Ireland. We had to move house when I was 11 and when I was 15 because Unionists/Protestants didn't want us living there. When I was doing my 11+ and my GCSEs. My family did f*** all, never said a wrong word to anyone - our family was being Catholic. My grandparents couldn't afford to move out of the town where we lived - they were terrorised by 20 year old Unionists, who spray-painted offensive slogans about her on her garden fence not long after she died.
My granny babysat a lot of the same people who graffitii'd her fence.

Hi Karl

As you live in Scotland, you will no doubt be aware of the current focus on sectarian hate crime perpetuated online. As such it was very silly of you to post such a blatantly sectarian statement.

I have just lodged a complaint of a hate crime with the police. I suspect you can look forward to an early morning knock on the door.

Hi Karl

As you live in Scotland, you will no doubt be aware of the current focus on sectarian hate crime perpetuated online. As such it was very silly of you to post such a blatantly sectarian statement.

I have just lodged a complaint of a hate crime with the police. I suspect you can look forward to an early morning knock on the door.

On a more serious note, I was pissed and in a bad mood and got a little carried away and really do apologise if anyone was really offended. I have deleted the offending post and feel suitably embarrassed.

Last edited:
On a more serious note, I was pissed and in a bad mood and got a little carried away and really do apologise if anyone was really offended. I have deleted the offending post and feel suitably embarrassed.

Your squealing panic stricken apology is not accepted by me, nor will it be by the police or the courts.

I'd encourage anyone else offended by Karl's sectarian hatred to report this to Strathclyde Police using their hate crime report form.

well, if they are the same person...

"Your squealing panic stricken apology is not accepted by me, nor will it be by the police or the courts"

...they must know police proceedure and the law courts inside out, so certain are they of a prosecution.
I'm sure they can copy and paste some statistics regarding this matter.

Any convictions in there for "inciting sectarian hatred or violence" online?

Good luck Karl. don't agree with much that you say on here, but I do feel this thread should have been nipped in the bud long ago, given the attention its attracted....the expression I'm looking for is flies round shit

Other expressions are applicable

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom