Southpaw

It has been rather quiet here lately, so let's talk about Alain whyte's finest moment. Southpaw. Great is'nt it?

Well, it may well be your favourite but it's 14th on the biggest ever poll of Moz fans!
I was looking forward to the re-issue of Southpaw Grammar though as I've not had a copy for years...

Best Morrissey/Whyte-song:
1) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself 9,45
2) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
3) Seasick, Yet Still Docked 9,10
4) The National Front Disco 9,09
5) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
6) First Of The Gang To Die 9,00
7) Irish Blood, English Heart 8,97
8) Life Is A Pigsty 8,92
9) Tomorrow 8,87
10) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
11) I Have Forgiven Jesus 8,47
12) The Never Played Symphonies 8,47
13) We’ll Let You Know 8,46
14) Southpaw 8,44
15) Hold On To Your Friends 8,42
16) Friday Mourning 8,41
17) Sunny 8,41
18) I Am Hated For Loving 8,33
19) Whatever Happens, I Love You 8,28

Well, it may well be your favourite but it's 14th on the biggest ever poll of Moz fans!
I was looking forward to the re-issue of Southpaw Grammar though as I've not had a copy for years...

2) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
5) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
8) Life Is A Pigsty 8,92
9) Tomorrow 8,87
10) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
14) Southpaw 8,44
16) Friday Mourning 8,41
17) Sunny 8,41

bah! polls :p ah well 14th is ok I suppose out of all them songs he has done. It is def better than half them but really people should give it another listen. the music is brilliant.

I love Southpaw. :) Any more news on the SG re-issue?

I think all we heard was that it has been pushed back to 2009. Can understand why the new album was pushed back but it's a shame about Southpaw Grammar.
Perhaps the record company thought it would be beneficial to have a few Moz-free months so there is more of an impact when the new stuff comes out...

Greatest song all time, all my life.

Southpaw is pure genius, and remember that Kirsty McColl's ex husband Steve Lillywhite produced it

best song on the album,best closing song on any morrisey solo albums, other than maybe speedway, no, southpaw is better.

mspendl828, where are you? :D

:confused:

I can only presume that this is a reference to you saying that Lillywhite produced the Maladjusted b-sides and my attempt to correct you.

I may, in fact, have been wrong(!) as Lillywhite did produce Heir Apparent and I Can Have Both but Danton Supple produced Lost, Edges, Country and Was as they - of course - were all recorded after the Maladjusted album had been completed. I seem to remember we were talking about Lost at the time though, so I'm probably still right :D

However, if you're just expecting me to troll then I'll quite happily ask why on earth anyone felt the need to point out that Lillywhite produced it and that he was married to McColl, which I'd guess if you're going to be on this forum in the first place you're going to know that sort of stuff.

:confused:

I can only presume that this is a reference to you saying that Lillywhite produced the Maladjusted b-sides and my attempt to correct you.

I may, in fact, have been wrong(!) as Lillywhite did produce Heir Apparent and I Can Have Both but Danton Supple produced Lost, Edges, Country and Was as they - of course - were all recorded after the Maladjusted album had been completed. I seem to remember we were talking about Lost at the time though, so I'm probably still right :D

However, if you're just expecting me to troll then I'll quite happily ask why on earth anyone felt the need to point out that Lillywhite produced it and that he was married to McColl, which I'd guess if you're going to be on this forum in the first place you're going to know that sort of stuff.

Sorry what on earth is this all about? I was just pointing out about Lillywhite and McColl and I watched a programme about Kirsty not long ago and I always associate Southpaw with Lillywhite. Bloody hell what is with all these moderators and stuck up people on this website???????

Sorry what on earth is this all about? I was just pointing out about Lillywhite and McColl and I watched a programme about Kirsty not long ago and I always associate Southpaw with Lillywhite. Bloody hell what is with all these moderators and stuck up people on this website???????

Relax dear, it's only the internet. It's not going to hurt you.

Edit: Although on the subject of Lillywhite, Southpaw is actually by far the best produced song on that album. Obviously you can't knock his work at all on Vauxhall where he hit everything pretty much perfectly but personally - if I can indulge in some fantasy productions - I'd have preferred Southpaw to have been produced by either Finn or Visconti as I feel their stlyes would have been better for the rockier Southpaw Grammar ideas.

He did a fine job doing with Maladjusted though as well.

Last edited:

2) Trouble Loves Me 9,14
5) Nobody Loves Us 9,01
8) Life Is A Pigsty 8,92
9) Tomorrow 8,87
10) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
14) Southpaw 8,44
16) Friday Mourning 8,41
17) Sunny 8,41

That would make a great compilation CD! More or less in that order as well...look at that tracklisting!
Think I may well make this...

Back
Top Bottom