Southpaw release

Mr Frady, I think you're a very good detective. If you ever need a dog, I'm your man.

Southpaw Grammer stands out musically from the rest of his catalog. The original cover is way more fitting than what were being shown. Much of the mystery within the album completely dissappears with one glance of the new proposed cover, what a dissapointment.:tears:

great news. I never liked the original cover so I'm quite happy with this one.

I want a vinyl :D

Re: cover art

I likes! What's the thingy on the side?

(chewing on new album cover) goodch qweschion!

i think its some kind of metal monument thing, haha. i honestly dont know.

Unreleased as in really unreleased? Or unreleased at the time and some of us already found digging a bit?

Hi Sista,
I wish !!
No, it's just a case of over-educated guesswork and sadly retentive memory really. In 2004 'Frieze' art magazine in the UK published a previously unseen photo of Moz taken by Linder in El Paso in 1992. (That's the same image you refer to from the e-bay auction). In that shot he's got the exact same clobber, hair-do, sideburns, etcetera as in this new cover art; conclusion ~ it's from the same session. A quick check on 'Passions' live history reveals Moz had a spare day in El Paso on November 3rd 1992. 2+2, etc.!
Oh and if it's a Linder shot (which it is) you can be certain that this new cover art is Morrissey designed and approved, not a record company knock-off, cos Linder wouldn't let sony-bmg use it if Moz didn't fancy it. So you can assume the Bowie tribute is his idea too.
Hope that helps.
Kind regards,
joe.

Lest we forget, this was considered a relative failure chart-wise, so using the logo from Changesonebowie - a greatest hits release - could be tongue-in-cheek. Not to mention the fact that he toured with Dame David in support of the album. I wish that he'd used one of the era-specific photos taken by Rankin instead, with the scrapes, cuts, and what not.

On a completely different note, what a wasted opportunity this reissue will be if they don't include the studio B-sides (Nobody Loves Us, You Must Please Remember). Thirteen tracks is not an embarrassment of riches. It'd be a fitting number of tracks, too, considering the unlucky fate of the album at the original release.

Cheers,
Jamie

Lest we forget, this was considered a relative failure chart-wise, so using the logo from Changesonebowie - a greatest hits release - could be tongue-in-cheek. Not to mention the fact that he toured with Dame David in support of the album. I wish that he'd used one of the era-specific photos taken by Rankin instead, with the scrapes, cuts, and what not.

On a completely different note, what a wasted opportunity this reissue will be if they don't include the studio B-sides (Nobody Loves Us, You Must Please Remember). Thirteen tracks is not an embarrassment of riches. It'd be a fitting number of tracks, too, considering the unlucky fate of the album at the original release.

Cheers,
Jamie

I saw a tracklisting posted months ago which had 12 songs. The three 'new' ones were (what appear to be) the correct ones and it also listed 'Nobody Loves Us' so it looks like it might well be on there.,,

Great news if true. The whole damn album deserves a reappraisal. And Nobody Loves Us most definitely could finally use a proper airing. Hopefully it'll make it back into live sets off the back of this release.

I saw a tracklisting posted months ago which had 12 songs. The three 'new' ones were (what appear to be) the correct ones and it also listed 'Nobody Loves Us' so it looks like it might well be on there.,,

These "new songs on Southapaw.."

The only one Ive heard is (an unfinished version )"Honey you know where to find me"...
as for the others, I havent heard them yet, but the question is...

When were these versions actaully finished and done properly?
Have they been in the vaults since 95, recorded with the line up of that time,
Alain, Boz, Spencer, and whoever was on bass at the time ( I think it was Johnny Bridgewood)

or

Have they recently been touched up with Moz's current band, Jesse and co...

Id like to think they were finished with the original line up of that day.

Mr Frady, I think you're a very good detective. If you ever need a dog, I'm your man.

Much appreciated B., but I'm afraid it's a basset hound or nothing for me,
Kind regards,
No-shit Sherlock.
;)

Cheers,
Jamie
It wouldn't entirely surprise me Jamie if there was a secondary meaning or three going on here with the Bowie nod. I thought Changes was an RCA cash-in release back in the day so maybe it's a comment on sony-bmg releasing this. And yet he would appear to have given approval to this, track-listing, photo, etcetera. Such is the way with Morrissey.
I think it's a great cover photograph myself but I agree that there were plenty of cracking shots from '95 that could have been deployed too rather than one dating from the Arsenal era. Confusing.

I liked the cuts and contusions look from the era, but have to admit when I first saw the cover I thought it was a Southpaw shot. He didn't start wearing the white button down shirt/jean jacket combo regularly until Vauxhall/Boxers days. The quiff was less bouffy by then, though and he was into his too-small blazer.

The knuckle duster shot could've made a good cover for this, or is it silly now?

It wouldn't entirely surprise me Jamie if there was a secondary meaning or three going on here with the Bowie nod. I thought Changes was an RCA cash-in release back in the day so maybe it's a comment on sony-bmg releasing this. And yet he would appear to have given approval to this, track-listing, photo, etcetera. Such is the way with Morrissey.
I think it's a great cover photograph myself but I agree that there were plenty of cracking shots from '95 that could have been deployed too rather than one dating from the Arsenal era. Confusing.

Re: These "new songs on Southapaw.."

You can keep winking, troll-"moderator" Kewpie. I clicked on the thread "These news songs on Southpaw" in order to read a thread specifically and narrowly focused on the previously unreleased songs appearing on the new edition of "Southpaw Grammar". Instead (thanks to your destructive intervention) I got taken to - and lost in - a more general thread about the new edition, which is primarily about the new cover sleeve and how it's an homage to David Bowie.

After skimming through 3 pages of that (all well and good, but NOT THE THREAD I WANTED TO READ, as any idiot could spot the Bowie thing in two seconds if they have a respectable record collection), I get to the post I was looking for, which had no chance of getting proper replies because this dumb idiot Kewpie merged it away. Then she posts a link to a message posted in a thread many months ago, as if to say, "We don't need or want a thread about the unreleased tracks appearing on the upcoming Morrissey release because someone once mentioned that ages ago." But if you look at the message she links to, it doesn't have much info in it. And she didn't merge the thread I was looking for into it, in any case. No, she was just up to her usual trolling with her moderator powers.

A whole thread about the unreleased songs would be something a fan of Morrissey's music might wanna read THIS WEEK, RIGHT NOW, given the news about "Southpaw Grammar". Troll-moderator Kewpie won't allow it. And she'll post her stupid winky smilies as she further destroys this forum. Which only reveals the contempt she has for the people and what threads they'd like to participate in. No surprise to me, as this is a moderator who trolled the thread about Jerry Finn's medical condition to try and make the thread about what a crappy record producer Kewpie thought Jerry Finn was. Funny how she didn't merge her own stupid, despicable, cold-hearted, and OFF TOPIC message in THAT thread into any one of the numerous threads about Jerry Finn's producing skills from the past. No, that was entirely on topic to Kewpie, in a thread about his medical condition, no matter how much some of us wished we could merge her straight into Hell.

If we can't have threads about the upcoming releases of Morrissey, what the f*** are we doing in this forum? And here's a clue for you, Kewpie: People LIKE lots of narrowly-focused threads about the hot topics related to Morrissey's upcoming releases and other current goings-on. They may seem redundant to you because you don't know what the hell you're doing and I doubt you even listen to Morrissey's music (or any music) much.

What the f*** is Kewpie doing still pretending she's a respected moderator? RESIGN ALREADY. Jesus.

Last edited:
I liked the cuts and contusions look from the era, but have to admit when I first saw the cover I thought it was a Southpaw shot. He didn't start wearing the white button down shirt/jean jacket combo regularly until Vauxhall/Boxers days. The quiff was less bouffy by then, though and he was into his too-small blazer.

The knuckle duster shot could've made a good cover for this, or is it silly now?

i liked all the cuts and stuff but the knuckle duster shot is old and tired now

i liked the cover of rare tracks , just a shame it didnt come out here

Re: These "new songs on Southapaw.."

You can keep winking, troll-"moderator" Kewpie. I clicked on the thread "These news songs on Southpaw" in order to read a thread specifically and narrowly focused on the previously unreleased songs appearing on the new edition of "Southpaw Grammar". Instead (thanks to your destructive intervention) I got taken to - and lost in - a more general thread about the new edition, which is primarily about the new cover sleeve and how it's an homage to David Bowie.

After skimming through 3 pages of that (all well and good, but NOT THE THREAD I WANTED TO READ, as any idiot could spot the Bowie thing in two seconds if they have a respectable record collection), I get to the post I was looking for, which had no chance of getting proper replies because this dumb idiot Kewpie merged it away. Then she posts a link to a message posted in a thread many months ago, as if to say, "We don't need or want a thread about the unreleased tracks appearing on the upcoming Morrissey release because someone once mentioned that ages ago." But if you look at the message she links to, it doesn't have much info in it. And she didn't merge the thread I was looking for into it, in any case. No, she was just up to her usual trolling with her moderator powers.

A whole thread about the unreleased songs would be something a fan of Morrissey's music might wanna read THIS WEEK, RIGHT NOW, given the news about "Southpaw Grammar". Troll-moderator Kewpie won't allow it. And she'll post her stupid winky smilies as she further destroys this forum. Which only reveals the contempt she has for the people and what threads they'd like to participate in. No surprise to me, as this is a moderator who trolled the thread about Jerry Finn's medical condition to try and make the thread about what a crappy record producer Kewpie thought Jerry Finn was. Funny how she didn't merge her own stupid, despicable, cold-hearted, and OFF TOPIC message in THAT thread into any one of the numerous threads about Jerry Finn's producing skills from the past. No, that was entirely on topic to Kewpie, in a thread about his medical condition, no matter how much some of us wished we could merge her straight into Hell.

If we can't have threads about the upcoming releases of Morrissey, what the f*** are we doing in this forum? And here's a clue for you, Kewpie: People LIKE lots of narrowly-focused threads about the hot topics related to Morrissey's upcoming releases and other current goings-on. They may seem redundant to you because you don't know what the hell you're doing and I doubt you even listen to Morrissey's music (or any music) much.

What the f*** is Kewpie doing still pretending she's a respected moderator? RESIGN ALREADY. Jesus.

In other words: no I don't want to read the old thread.

Back
Top Bottom