Some People Are On The Pitch...They Think It's All Over

• Thread starter Librarian on Fire
  • Start date
L

Librarian on Fire

And it is. New Zealand and England drawing the test series played overhere. Although I don't think both teams played as well as they could have. The drop in wicket not being favoured by the English. Nathan Astle has been named Cricketer of the Year. First time a NZ'er has won that honour since (I think) Sir Richard Hadlee.

I care

Nice use of the Some people quote there LoF, How you doing not heard from you in a while? A mate of mine got up @ 4am to watch the cricket & it was rained off, I shouldn't laugh too much though, bless.
Grim

> And it is. New Zealand and England drawing the test series played
> overhere. Although I don't think both teams played as well as they could
> have. The drop in wicket not being favoured by the English. Nathan Astle
> has been named Cricketer of the Year. First time a NZ'er has won that
> honour since (I think) Sir Richard Hadlee.

Re: I care

> Nice use of the Some people quote there LoF, How you doing not heard from
> you in a while? A mate of mine got up @ 4am to watch the cricket & it
> was rained off, I shouldn't laugh too much though, bless.
> Grim

Cheers Grim, still around, although there isn't much happening on the board. I'm really nervous about Arsenal taking the title this year. Yeah I can see the smile on your face from overhere!!

LoF

New Zealand tour reflections

The Third Test could easily have swung England's way, especially if they hadn't had been forced to play under the spotlights on Day 4. Still, in NZ's position, I'm sure England would have done the same. The batsmen didn't seem to mind what our bowlers sent down to them. Honours even, I suppose. Looks like this tour could see the end of Ramprakash. Sorry "Ramps", but despite fleeting displays of the obvious talent you have, I don't think you have the consistency for Test level. Give Graeme Hick another chance, I say!*

TMF

* Joke.

Re: New Zealand tour reflections

> The Third Test could easily have swung England's way, especially if they
> hadn't had been forced to play under the spotlights on Day 4. Still, in
> NZ's position, I'm sure England would have done the same. The batsmen
> didn't seem to mind what our bowlers sent down to them. Honours even, I
> suppose. Looks like this tour could see the end of Ramprakash. Sorry
> "Ramps", but despite fleeting displays of the obvious talent you
> have, I don't think you have the consistency for Test level. Give Graeme
> Hick another chance, I say!*

> TMF

> * Joke.

We're number four in the world rankings now, England fifth. The play under the floodlights was for only an hour. That rule will have to be looked closely at by the ICC. However in a test match the red ball does favour the batting team. I still don't like the drop in wicket, and we didn't do enough to prepare our wickets to suit us, more swing and keeping the ball low. England have proved to have more depth with their bowling attack. Caddick was born here in NZ, I don't know why we didn't keep him. We've also lost Parore, our playboy keeper, so for the series in Pakistian we'll see his loss. Our greatest strength in this series was having Astle prove himself with the bat. He can be taken as a world class batsman. What was his knock, 220? But without Cairns in the bowling attack, we were left showing what little development there is in that area. I must admit I didn't take much notice of the England team. In the test arena England are still better than us, I'd admit that. But only for a short time! And the Barmy Army got on my wick!

LoF

Re: I care

Yes but the biggest smile is about the Big Blue half of Manchester first & what happens to the red sector comes second. We'll be able to play you lot next season, then we'll see who gets to wear the smile, somehow I feel a little nervous now.

Grim

> Cheers Grim, still around, although there isn't much happening on the
> board. I'm really nervous about Arsenal taking the title this year. Yeah I
> can see the smile on your face from overhere!!

> LoF

Re: New Zealand tour reflections

England looked tired in the final test- it's been a long old slog and I'm sure they'll be happy to come home. Fair play to NZ though, missing their strike bowlers through injury and still having too much for England.

In saying that, I think I could turn my arm over and get Ramprakash out. How long we going to persevere with that plank, I just do not know.
Butcher's still not proven (he's still living on the back of last years performance V Aus.) and Vaughan continues to infuriate with classy batting and crazy dismissals. We could do with an Astle or a Gilchrist, why does England never produce such flare players?

I blame the last Tory government.

Back
Top Bottom