Smiths' songs that Morrissey doesn't like ?

Oneiros

I recently read in an interview that Morrissey gave in September 1987 that he doesn't like the song 'What difference does it make'. Is there some others that he doesn't like and why ?

I read in one interview where he said there were quite a few songs he no longer liked but he didn't want to say which ones because they might be someone's favourite song.

I think it's a shame that he can't be honest for fear one of his fans might have a nervous breakdown about it. :p

I remember reading somewhere that neither Moz nor Marr were much proud of Ask. Can't understand why, though.
Wish they're all ashamed of Golden Lights...

On the TTY Q&A section he mentions that some songs from the past make him 'shudder', including 'I Don't Owe You anything'. I personally really like that one, but I don't feel to much in despair that he no longer does! Maybe it reminds him of a time he's far removed from now... or who knows really.

I personally think it's better that Moz chooses to reserve his opinions about Smiths songs to himself......I'd really be devastated if he came out and said he hates my very favorite songs......saying he's not proud of "Ask" is already bad enough!

Last edited:
But just because Morrissey says he doesn't like something doesn't make it definitive. The artist isn't always the best judge of their own work.

It's like him and Marr always praising Shakespeare's Sister when it's the worst single they ever released.

Morrissey coming out and saying he doesn't like my fav song wouldn't change my mind about the song one bit.....but maybe it would make me feel like punching him in the face....that's what I'm affraid about.

Think of it this way: Morrissey certainly dislikes some songs he's recorded, but there could be several different reasons for that, some of which are probably personal - some songs may remind him of a time in his life he doesn't like thinking about. He may not be happy with the way some songs were produced, marketed, etc. Knowing that Morrissey does not care for What Difference Does It Make? doesn't lessen my enjoyment of that song in any way. Only makes it more interesting, really.

But just because Morrissey says he doesn't like something doesn't make it definitive. The artist isn't always the best judge of their own work.

It's like him and Marr always praising Shakespeare's Sister when it's the worst single they ever released.

Hey! In your opinion, maybe. I happen to love that song, thank you very much.

I remember reading somewhere that neither Moz nor Marr were much proud of Ask. Can't understand why, though.
Wish they're all ashamed of Golden Lights...

Actually, Marr hates Golden Lights. I don't know about Morrissey. But they've both said that Death At One's Elbow is a crap song.

Back
Top Bottom