Scariest Author

I remember reading The Amityville Horror when I was about 13, then seeing the movie...:eek: scary stuff... I was afraid of my own shadow after that :o I still am.... :o Being a 'true' story, made it even scarier.

The Amityville Horror was a damned scary book and so was the movie! Who'd want to voluntarily live in a house like that? :eek: Another scary book is called, "The House Of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. This couple live in a normal sized two story house and the house starts growing from the inside...very scary shizz.

Oh, definitely. In the movie I was hoping Starling would become Hannibal's lover or companion like in the book, so that was a little disappointing. And the part in the movie where she is near the carousel and he just touches her hair. Buys her exotic perfumes. Rescues her from Gary Oldman. A very dark romantic comedy. Thomas Harris has a very good touch with the Hannibal series. I did watch the newest Hannibal, as to why he became a cannibal, and that was sad. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to read it.

I sooo wouldn't want to be rescued from Gary Oldman. ;)

Then, again, if it was Anthony Hopkins doing the rescuing. . .

I could have both. :D

Anthony as Hannibal is very, very sexy. The scene at the end of Hannibal when he's throwing Clarice up against the refrigerator. . . or the deleted scene where he breaks into her car and licks her steering wheel. . . :horny:

If you liked Hannibal, you may enjoy The Monster of Florence, by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. It's a true crime book. I've learned that I never, ever want to be in trouble with the law in Italy. That is some crazy shit right there.

Hannibal Rising was good. The movie was pretty close to the book.

I remember reading The Amityville Horror when I was about 13, then seeing the movie...:eek: scary stuff... I was afraid of my own shadow after that :o I still am.... :o Being a 'true' story, made it even scarier.

I don't do demon possession, ever. Not in books or movies.

i would, because i do not believe in ghosts, if it is free, bring it on! :D

I don't believe in ghosts either, so now I'm perplexed as to why I said I wouldn't live in the house! I just remember the house being creepy.

I don't believe in ghosts either, so now I'm perplexed as to why I said I wouldn't live in the house! I just remember the house being creepy.

it is creepy in a way that people were killed there, but enough has been proven about that family that moved in , they made it up i think.

I'll never read anything by Stephen King, 'cuz they're so scary and haunting and the plots to his stories always includes someone who gets killed by trucks and dogs. About two years ago, I was watching Maximum Overdrive (the movie he directed) and I couldn't bear seeing trucks killing people and I'm so lucky that I did not have a fear of trucks. I'll read anything, except his chilling and horrid stories, which it'll never happen. And besides, I can't stand the horror genre.:eek::sick:

I sooo wouldn't want to be rescued from Gary Oldman. ;)

Then, again, if it was Anthony Hopkins doing the rescuing. . .

I could have both. :D

If you liked Hannibal, you may enjoy The Monster of Florence, by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. It's a true crime book. I've learned that I never, ever want to be in trouble with the law in Italy. That is some crazy shit right there.

Hannibal Rising was good. The movie was pretty close to the book.

I don't do demon possession, ever. Not in books or movies.

Nope, no demon possession here either. Okay, another book to my collection. The name Mario Spezi sounds familiar for some reason. I LOVE true crime. I wouldn't want to be rescued from Gary Oldman either, but not as that sliced up character he played! Oh yes, and Hannibal rescuing Clarice...those two men have this special intensity about them, a charisma I love. We should have a book club! (I hear you guys going, awwwww noooooo)

You're smart. I should have learned years ago... :o:(

Too freaky for even me. The closest I've come to knowingly watching anything with demon possession in it was Constantine.

*shudder*

I'll never read anything by Stephen King, 'cuz they're so scary and haunting and the plots to his stories always includes someone who gets killed by trucks and dogs. About two years ago, I was watching Maximum Overdrive (the movie he directed) and I couldn't bear seeing trucks killing people and I'm so lucky that I did not have a fear of trucks. I'll read anything, except his chilling and horrid stories, which it'll never happen. And besides, I can't stand the horror genre.:eek::sick:

Maximum Overdrive was hilarious. It has my favorite Stephen King cameo, ever.

"Honey? Come on over here, Sugarbuns! This machine just called me an asshole!"

Hee.

My second favorite was Pet Sematary. I laughed out loud in the theater. Although, Stephen as a priest was kind of hot. I've always had a crush on Stephen. :o

One of the best movies for horror genre cameos is Sleeprwalkers. Seeing Stephen and Clive together made me very happy. :D

You don't have to believe, but they do exist.

Oh, I believe. My dad has seen enough of them in his life to convince me of that. One of my best friends sees dead people.

Nope, no demon possession here either. Okay, another book to my collection. The name Mario Spezi sounds familiar for some reason. I LOVE true crime. I wouldn't want to be rescued from Gary Oldman either, but not as that sliced up character he played! Oh yes, and Hannibal rescuing Clarice...those two men have this special intensity about them, a charisma I love. We should have a book club! (I hear you guys going, awwwww noooooo)

Just name the first book and I'm in. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alvin Shwartz, author of the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books. Though it was really the illustrations by Stephen Gammell that make his books so disturbing.

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King. Try Desperation or Insomnia - they are pretty scary. The Dark Tower series is awesome and mind blowing and will keep you occupied for months. But his best book is The Stand. Probably my favourite book ever.

You can't beat a bit of Stephen King. Try Desperation or Insomnia - they are pretty scary. The Dark Tower series is awesome and mind blowing and will keep you occupied for months. But his best book is The Stand. Probably my favourite book ever.

Paulc - how right you are, how right you are! The Stand is my favourite Stephen King book - an outstanding story by a true visionary. also excellent are Needful Things, Carrie, Pet Cemetery, The Shining, Misery, and The Langoliers. I tried reading Cell a few weeks ago, but couldn't get into it. Admittedly, most of King's film adaptations are poor, but there are exceptions, Misery, The Green Mile and the classic Shawshank Redemption.

In college, I took an American Horror Fiction class: Poe to King. It was the BEST class I took throughout my collegiate career. Even though my degrees are in meteorology, I would have to say that I would have majored in English, horror writing as another choice. I don't use my degrees in my job however, they are still assets to have & they were personal goals I wanted to obtain.

In answering your question, Stephen King is my favorite horror writer besides Poe. Yet, I enjoy psychological thrillers too, by classic gothic authors such as Nathaniel Hawthorne & Washington Irving. The weirder the better...the dark side...

Cheers.

Last edited:
Paulc - how right you are, how right you are! The Stand is my favourite Stephen King book - an outstanding story by a true visionary. also excellent are Needful Things, Carrie, Pet Cemetery, The Shining, Misery, and The Langoliers. I tried reading Cell a few weeks ago, but couldn't get into it. Admittedly, most of King's film adaptations are poor, but there are exceptions, Misery, The Green Mile and the classic Shawshank Redemption.

Come on, lads, the sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.

Did you see the made for TV movie of The Stand with Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald. Great cast but unspeakably awful movie. Try again with Cell - it has many similarities with The Stand. Also read Liseys Story - superb.

That's so interesting because, in 2002 I was in a head on collision- some truck ran a light and hit me square on. I was in my dinky sardine can Toyota Tercel. I was going to go through the turn light, and this ass came from nowhere and the IMPACT of metal bashing metal- I cannot see that or hear it. My head went through the windshield (windscreen). I have 46 stitches ( and a small scar on my forehead- my hair covers the rest of them. I just remember pulling my head out, and glass tinkling, and seeing my hand covered in blood and passed out. As for me, the horror genre has to be realistic. I'm a huge Law & Order (all of them) fan and I like books about serial killers and stuff. I can honestly say there is practically nothing that would ever shock me now. Didn't Maximum Overdrive have Kurt Russell in it? You just read whatever makes YOU happy. I just like reading a bit of anything except for Nora Roberts and the romance novel genre. Yawn.:)

Come on, lads, the sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.

Did you see the made for TV movie of The Stand with Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald. Great cast but unspeakably awful movie. Try again with Cell - it has many similarities with The Stand. Also read Liseys Story - superb.

Paulc, yep, I sure did watch The Stand- it was great! The guy who played Satan was a bit over the top. That's one book of his I'd like to read. I love Gary Sinise :) I'll check out Liseys Story definitely. :)

Paulc, yep, I sure did watch The Stand- it was great! The guy who played Satan was a bit over the top. That's one book of his I'd like to read. I love Gary Sinise :) I'll check out Liseys Story definitely. :)

Definitely read The Stand Kali but forget all about that movie- it didnt come close to doing the book justice. p.s. very glad you came out of that accident in one piece, sounds horrific. :eek:

As big a fan as I am of his, I still haven't read The Stand. I own it but I haven't tackled it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

I need to start The Dark Tower series now that he's done with them. He drove my dad nuts by not writing them for years and years.

That's so interesting because, in 2002 I was in a head on collision- some truck ran a light and hit me square on. I was in my dinky sardine can Toyota Tercel. I was going to go through the turn light, and this ass came from nowhere and the IMPACT of metal bashing metal- I cannot see that or hear it. My head went through the windshield (windscreen). I have 46 stitches ( and a small scar on my forehead- my hair covers the rest of them. I just remember pulling my head out, and glass tinkling, and seeing my hand covered in blood and passed out. As for me, the horror genre has to be realistic. I'm a huge Law & Order (all of them) fan and I like books about serial killers and stuff. I can honestly say there is practically nothing that would ever shock me now. Didn't Maximum Overdrive have Kurt Russell in it? You just read whatever makes YOU happy. I just like reading a bit of anything except for Nora Roberts and the romance novel genre. Yawn.:)

Yikes, Kali! :eek:

Emilio Estevez was the lead in Maximum Overdrive. It's so bad it's good. :D

As big a fan as I am of his, I still haven't read The Stand. I own it but I haven't tackled it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for.

I need to start The Dark Tower series now that he's done with them. He drove my dad nuts by not writing them for years and years.

I am actually jealous that you have the experience of reading them for the first time still ahead of you. Start today.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom