sad sad day...it seems

I had emails from HMV cancelling each order I'd placed - ie: all 3 formats:tears:

it's a fair comment. why should we bothered with chart positions/record sales etc?

the reason is, when Morrissey's popularity wanes, record companies lose interest. that's what happened in the late 90's, and it's probably what he fears happening again, so there is a very practical reason to take an interest in sales and charts. of course, he could always get his music out somehow, via the internet, or a little label that doesn't do singles, but his pride prevented him from doing that in the wilderness years, and would prevent him again.

furthermore, Moz loves the romance of the hit parade. on the whole of Planet Earth, (probably) nothing would please him more than having a number 1 single in the UK hit parade...

Yes, but if he pulled a Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails, think how much press that would generate- in a positive way- which would draw the big labels back in. Plus he could do some really great packaging, include more art, things like that.

I don't know. I'm not in his industry, I'm only a consumer. His marketing has been so half-assed lately that there are probably thousands of people who don't even know he's still releasing records, but who would buy them if they knew about it.

Last edited:
Re: Very pertinent point on front page

oh is there a ray of hope is there? Please please please.

yeah, and its still linked on www.itsmorrisseysworld.com

"All we know from this is that the All You Need is Me/ Saturday Night Drive-In single has been cancelled. The others may still be ok. Perhaps there's issues with the Bowie camp?

rabbitredux"

Peter

that was the first thing i thought to be honest.
that bowie's people are stopping it.

Drive-In Saturday has been 'pulled' before, it was going to be on the cover of the NME. Well, before all that nonsense. Wonder if there was another reason?

Peter

I don't know if I am being impatient or expecting too much but if Merk can comment rather gleefully when there is gossip re Connor Mctwatty, surely we can get some info on this rather important matter of a single and new music.

Got a reply from the sterling chap that is Boz Boorer there and it is follows

i don't know! we have done a video for it that looks quite good
but i have no idea if it's been pulled
sorry
bb

OOH good job Karin, thanks for this!!!

Yes, but if he pulled a Radiohead or Nine Inch Nails, think how much press that would generate- in a positive way- which would draw the big labels back in. Plus he could do some really great packaging, include more art, things like that.

I agree, his marketing team need to think outside the box a bit more. There are loads more ways to promote a new single other than interviews. Even the Rolling Stones give away tickets and mechandise on the radio, there must be literally hundreds of ways to create a buzz with no extra pressure on the artist.

I agree, his marketing team need to think outside the box a bit more. There are loads more ways to promote a new single other than interviews. Even the Rolling Stones give away tickets and mechandise on the radio, there must be literally hundreds of ways to create a buzz with no extra pressure on the artist.

Yes, but surely it's difficult to create such a buzz 4 times a year?
Let's not forget that there will be 2 more Morrissey-singles out this year, and it will be much more important to promote them well, so I think they made a very wise decision in pulling this one. If only they hadn't made the very wrong decision to go ahead with this release first...

Just been posted on the main page

"Just to let you know that the Morrissey single All You Need Is Me has been cancelled by the record company, sorry for the inconvenience caused, apparently the record company decided to cancel it as the new album will be released sooner than expected!!!?"

WOW, fingers crossed! :D

FWIW, it's still on recordstore.co.uk with a release date of May 26. My order still shows as pending... :confused:

If Boz doesn't even know (thanks Karin for posting & Boz for answering :)) then I have a little bit of hope that it will be released next week as planned.

Well Yesterday...

...Visited HMV to hunt down my Quarry on all 3 formats...bare with me! It was said to be released yesterday (19th) right!? I asked the polite woman at the till and she told me it was to be released next Monday, so i'm just taking each day as it comes...

i dunno, i was thinking improper paperwork regarding the copyright of the work.

Improper paperwork? There's no such thing.

Since the release date was first set to may 19th and then changed and then this cancellation there must be some copies of the three formats printet and manufactured? Some where? A real collectable in my eyes.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope, just bits I've heard from 'round and about.

Apparently Morrissey was very difficult in the promotion of THPGU (refusing interviews etc), his insistence on including the Your Arse'n'all picture (which he was insistent upon, but he was being warned against it. I quite like it however, thought it was funny), and of course his last minute cancelling of AYNIM (I told of rumblings about a week ago).

Of course this is all just industry rumours, but it stands up.

yeah? well, to them i say, "buyer beware." it's ludicrous to think he was going to be any different with them than he was with his last several labels.

...although this does seem a bit "new" to actually cancel releases because he was royally peed off at something. i'm not sure what the grave offense was, but oh well...

I think if Morrissey has gone to the trouble of making a video he obviously wanted the single released. If it is cancelled it's the record company whatdunnit!

Record companies do this sort of thing all the time. I've followed many artists who've had it done to them, usually just before they've been dropped. Although it shouldn't happen to someone of Morrissey's stature. :mad:

Tags
hysteria! morrissey new single
Back
Top Bottom