Question about Moz's backing band

modrevolve

Standard Model
I know that Gannon/Joyce/Rourke appeared on a few recordings/videos/tv apperances and his live show in Wolverhampton..Had there ever been talk about this line-up becoming permanent when Moz was ready to tour for Kill Uncle or was it his decision to start with a new band from scratch??

Hope this helps, from a Morrissey article:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/uncut0898b.htm

"....In February, "Suedehead", a single from the sessions, was released and astonished many by soaring to Number Five, outstripping The Smiths' successes. A wonderful, flowing single, "Suedehead" (the title inspired by Richard Allen's "Skinhead" novels) boded well for Morrissey's career as a solo artist and was followed by an arguably superior Top Tenner in the swirling, "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Soon afterwards, Morrissey's solo triumph appeared complete when the "Viva Hate" album went to Number One. Morrissey marked his finest moment with a display of his increasing penchant for bizarre, extreme behaviour.

"He disappeared on me," recalls Gail Colson, who managed Morrissey at the time. He vanished for a month from the day I told him that the album had gone in at Number One."

Unbeknown to anyone, Morrissey was back in Manchester. According to Reilly, Morrissey had just had enough of the business for a while.

"EMI had been breathing down his neck all through making that album, but he'd arrive at my flat here clutching some eco-friendly cleaning fluid."

Shortly afterwards, Morrissey discovered that Rourke, Gannon and Joyce were preparing to sue him (and Marr) for monies relating to The Smiths (the case would eventually come to court in 1996). Morrissey's response to this was even more unpredictable...

Exactly 365 days after he'd last worked with them, Morrissey (or rather his lawyer) phoned the trio and suggested a gig. The result was a triumphant experience for all concerned, with feverish members of the audience gaining admission with a Smiths or Morrissey T-Shirt. The band played the material they'd recorded with Morrissey a year earlier (such as "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys") and a handful of Smiths songs never played live. However, the backstage environment brought the curious occasion of a group whose entire membership was suing the singer. According to Joyce, "It wasn't mentioned".

Morrissey would never play with either Joyce, Rourke or Gannon again, dumbfounding the ex-Smiths to this day. Morrissey was still playing mind games, and getting rather good at them."

From Craig Gannon's Wikipedia page

"Gannon was also reunited with former Smiths singer Morrissey at his debut solo gig and 1989 singles "The Last of the Famous International Playboys" and "Interesting Drug". That same year saw him sue Morrissey and Johnny Marr over the degree of his involvement in songwriting (notably for "Ask"). The matter was settled out of court for the sum of £48,000."

To follow up my initial question, was there any reason in particular that aside from TV apperances, no touring was ever done around the Viva Hate/Bona Drag releases? With those recording being so sucessful in the charts, I'm surprised no live shows ever occurred.

To follow up my initial question, was there any reason in particular that aside from TV apperances, no touring was ever done around the Viva Hate/Bona Drag releases? With those recording being so sucessful in the charts, I'm surprised no live shows ever occurred.

Look, I didn't write the article, so if it isn't factually correct sue the journalist who did!:)

Again, it seeeeems like from my reading of the article, the Mozzer's behavior became erratic, i.e. disappearing for a whole month after Viva Hate debuted at Number One.

Look, I didn't write the article, so if it isn't factually correct sue the journalist who did!:)

Again, it seeeeems like from my reading of the article, the Mozzer's behavior became erratic, i.e. disappearing for a whole month after Viva Hate debuted at Number One.

I totally appreciate the info and wasn't questioning anything you posted..just always wondered this..as well as why he never toured off of Vauxhall.

No lawsuits will be filed!

The years between "Viva Hate" and "Kill Uncle" have always been mysterious. I believe Rourke, Joyce and Gannon had recorded both post-VH singles ("Playboys" and "Drug") before the Wolverhampton gig, so there's nothing wrong with that timeline. It happened before the lawsuits. But I think his cutting ties with them was more than that, as Gail hinted at in the interview. Morrissey must have been tired of the industry, or was perhaps having a more personal crisis. I don't think the demise of The Smiths hit him emotionally until after "Viva Hate" was released, and when it finally did I think he had to go into hiding to protect his sanity. The troubled "Bona Drag" sessions and the weak "Kill Uncle" album bespeak wavering confidence, but all that changed with the 1991 tour-- that is, when he found Boz and the boys and swept away the past.

In the winter of 1987.

The video for Suedehead was filmed in February 1988, so I'm sure the album was done and dusted long before then.

Actually, no--the sessions with Joyce, Rourke, and Gannon were from late 1988. I'm pasting in a post I contributed on a similar subject about a year ago:

At Amber was actually recorded much earlier, during the same November-December sessions of 1988 that produced the Last of the Famous International Playboys and Interesting Drug singles. Piccadilly Palare and Get Off The Stage were recorded in 1989 during the same sessions slated for the original album to be named Bona Drag (with Armstrong, Rourke, and Paresi as the main musicians), which was then shelved and the tracks were reconfigured into the November Spawned a Monster and Piccadilly Palare singles.

At Amber was probably held up in light of Morrissey's troubles with Stephen Street and saw the light of day because he needed additional B-side material (having opted to not release Oh Phoney or Striptease With a Difference, which were also recorded in 1989). Street actually also co-wrote Journalists Who Lie which was recorded with the Nevin/Paresi/Bedders line-up circa Kill Uncle long after Street's excommunication.

Oh, and guitars on At Amber are presumably provided by Craig Gannon and Neil Taylor as credited on the LOTFIP and Interesting Drug singles. Street played keyboards.

An appendix in Simon Goddard's revised Songs That Saved Your Life fleshes out this post-Viva Hate chronology in case you're interested in reading more.

Cheers,
Jamie

Actually, no--the sessions with Joyce, Rourke, and Gannon were from late 1988. I'm pasting in a post I contributed on a similar subject about a year ago:

At Amber was actually recorded much earlier, during the same November-December sessions of 1988 that produced the Last of the Famous International Playboys and Interesting Drug singles. Piccadilly Palare and Get Off The Stage were recorded in 1989 during the same sessions slated for the original album to be named Bona Drag (with Armstrong, Rourke, and Paresi as the main musicians), which was then shelved and the tracks were reconfigured into the November Spawned a Monster and Piccadilly Palare singles.

At Amber was probably held up in light of Morrissey's troubles with Stephen Street and saw the light of day because he needed additional B-side material (having opted to not release Oh Phoney or Striptease With a Difference, which were also recorded in 1989). Street actually also co-wrote Journalists Who Lie which was recorded with the Nevin/Paresi/Bedders line-up circa Kill Uncle long after Street's excommunication.

Oh, and guitars on At Amber are presumably provided by Craig Gannon and Neil Taylor as credited on the LOTFIP and Interesting Drug singles. Street played keyboards.

An appendix in Simon Goddard's revised Songs That Saved Your Life fleshes out this post-Viva Hate chronology in case you're interested in reading more.

Thanks for clarifying this. Why bother reading the book when so many others here have already done it for me?

as well as why he never toured off of Vauxhall

he wasn't phsycolgicly able to do shows, or anything regarding PR for
Vauxhall [he did 3 USA store signings, if I remember correctly, but could
be wrong]

all of this, was because he was very depressive, there are intervieuws
where Morrissey confess being on anti depressants that time, reason
was the death of 3 of his closests and influential friends.

Nigel Thomas - finally a manager whom he trusted and got Him big in USA
Tim Broad- did make the videoclips for Morrissey, Hulmerist is a fine
post mortem concerning Tim Broad and being Morriseys videoclipdirector
Mick Ronson- produced Your Arsenal, and Morrissey had great admiration
for this man, who died, unless having cancer, unexpectly, to soon.

Morrissey had a hard time getting over it, therefore was recording Vauxhall
a miracle, and even more stranger, one of his best albums ever.
It costed Morrisseys last energy, and he had no clue at that time, what
he would do, stop or go on...whatever, but touring was too much.

resume
I've written it 46 times already, and lot of it can be verified in intervieuws
during that time, and after.

Back
Top Bottom