Q Magazine - the REAL "Best of..." - The Smiths by Simon Goddard

Simon Goddard picks his Smiths top 10

Link leads to Spotify playlist...http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/03/the_real_best_of.html

List is as follows:
  1. Death Of A Disco Dancer
  2. Shakespeare's Sister
  3. Half A Person
  4. Jeane
  5. Rubber Ring
  6. You've Got Everything Now
  7. Well I Wonder
  8. The Queen Is Dead
  9. Stretch Out And Wait
  10. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Last edited by a moderator:
Death of a Disco Dancer at No.1? Death of a Disco Dancer? Is this a joke?

Yes,Amy,Death of a Disco f***in Dancer.We know you don't like it but we don't care.Just let it go,man,let it go.Jesus,Mary and Joseph! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I think its number 1 in the order of the playlist. I don't think the 10 are ranked in any specific order of preference.... but no How Soon Is Now though. WTF??

Also there are other Q playlists on Spotify feed including Radiohead, Bowie, Pulp and Blur. Some strange choices but each to there own.

I do love me some Death Of A Disco Dancer, but that and Shakespeare's Sister being #1 and #2 do make this feel like a joke list. I imagine those two songs wouldn't make the top 10 of 90% of Smiths fans lists. I actually think Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me would be the only one off that list in my favorite 10. It's always interesting to see what other fans like, though.

I do love me some Death Of A Disco Dancer, but that and Shakespeare's Sister being #1 and #2 do make this feel like a joke list. I imagine those two songs wouldn't make the top 10 of 90% of Smiths fans lists. I actually think Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me would be the only one off that list in my favorite 10. It's always interesting to see what other fans like, though.

That's a tad harsh, no? It's only someone's personal list, I'm sure you could draw one up of your own.

P.

The list is pretty suspect, but I actually think "Death Of A Disco Dancer" is a track that has gotten massively better with age. Hard to place above so many other classics, true, but the song is brilliant. One of Johnny's career highlights, for sure.

All of the above 3 postings are , to a large degree correct! Yes, Amy is right because there is no Johnny Marr on guitar and this lends to a very different style of song than The Smiths had for 5 years or so. Yet, that's what Johnny wanted, something very new and isn't that what Strangeways was at the time? Styles had changed from 82-87 and Morrissey loved it for this reason. Not only the song, "Death of a Disco Dancer, itself, but the entire lp itself, is infact, a Morrissey favorite to this very day.
Yes, your right too Billy! Ease up on Amy and be kind to her. The girl writes because she loves Morrissey and thats good enough round here!

The list is pretty suspect, but I actually think "Death Of A Disco Dancer" is a track that has gotten massively better with age. Hard to place above so many other classics, true, but the song is brilliant. One of Johnny's career highlights, for sure.
I don't know if it deserves number one, but it is a beautiful song, and that outro is pretty great!

Yes,Amy,Death of a Disco f***in Dancer.We know you don't like it but we don't care.Just let it go,man,let it go.Jesus,Mary and Joseph! :rolleyes:

:straightface: bit uncalled for, wasn't it?

I don't know if it deserves number one, but it is a beautiful song, and that outro is pretty great!

I agree. It shouldn't be #1.

In Simon's defense, people who have listened to The Smiths obsessively for a long time probably have skewed opinions. Morrissey's favorite track for a few years was "I Keep Mine Hidden", for starters. My top ten would probably be pretty silly, too; as I've mentioned before, one of my very favorite Smiths tracks of the last several years, easily in the Top Ten, is the "Rank" version of "The Draize Train". No way that should crack anyone's Top Ten. :)

Yep. It fluctuates. For instance, Rusholme Ruffians took a good 20 years to advance from largely ignored to one of my favorite tracks. That being said, any top 10 of mine would contain largely the same songs as before - this charming man, there is a light, hand in glove, i know it's over, how soon is now, please please please etc.

Come on Billy, "It takes GUTS to be gentile and kind!" I ought to know!

All of the above 3 postings are , to a large degree correct! Yes, Amy is right because there is no Johnny Marr on guitar and this lends to a very different style of song than The Smiths had for 5 years or so. Yet, that's what Johnny wanted, something very new and isn't that what Strangeways was at the time? Styles had changed from 82-87 and Morrissey loved it for this reason. Not only the song, "Death of a Disco Dancer, itself, but the entire lp itself, is infact, a Morrissey favorite to this very day.
Yes, your right too Billy! Ease up on Amy and be kind to her. The girl writes because she loves Morrissey and thats good enough round here!

No she doesn't,she HATES him.

Yep. It fluctuates. For instance, Rusholme Ruffians took a good 20 years to advance from largely ignored to one of my favorite tracks. That being said, any top 10 of mine would contain largely the same songs as before - this charming man, there is a light, hand in glove, i know it's over, how soon is now, please please please etc.

Exactly. What would your two lists be?

Based on an attempt at objectivity:

1. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
2. Cemetry Gates
3. This Charming Man
4. I Know It's Over
5. How Soon Is Now?
6. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
7. Still Ill
8. Shoplifters Of The World Unite
9. Ask
10. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

But my skewed list, from the last several years, would be more like this:

1. The Headmaster Ritual
2. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
3. A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
4. How Soon Is Now? (Live, Kilburn, 1986)
5. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
6. Paint A Vulgar Picture
7. The Draize Train (Live)
8. I Want The One I Can't Have
9. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
10. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (Live, Los Angeles, 1986)

But my skewed list, from the last several years, would be more like this:

1. The Headmaster Ritual
2. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
3. A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
4. How Soon Is Now? (Live, Kilburn, 1986)
5. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
6. Paint A Vulgar Picture
7. The Draize Train (Live)
8. I Want The One I Can't Have
9. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
10. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (Live, Los Angeles, 1986)

Worm...I like your choice :cool:

Back
Top Bottom