On the Subject of Lyrics, "Britishness," and I Can Have Both

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I have no clue what "I Can Have Both" is about, other than him having, well both. Is it a sexual reference? I mean a "shop boy" and he's staring through the window. ME NO UNDERSTAND!!!

Someone, please just put this to bed for me!:)

-Vaux

It's not a sexual reference.
The shop in question is selling hand knitted jumpers and they have two styles on offer. The character is a bit flush with money having won a few bets on the horses, so he tells himself (and the voices inside his head) that he can have both. Obviously he cannot not wear them both at the same time, but he can nevertheless buy them both at the same time.

The full story behind the lyrics are in the book 'Who is Julia? - and ninety nine other Morrissey related Questions?' which is out next week (Penguin books)

Jukebox Jury

It's not a sexual reference.
The shop in question is selling hand knitted jumpers and they have two styles on offer. The character is a bit flush with money having won a few bets on the horses, so he tells himself (and the voices inside his head) that he can have both. Obviously he cannot not wear them both at the same time, but he can nevertheless buy them both at the same time.

The full story behind the lyrics are in the book 'Who is Julia? - and ninety nine other Morrissey related Questions?' which is out next week (Penguin books)

Jukebox Jury

And to think, that was my first reaction too. You know what they say, you should always go with your first instinct...

Is it possible to get a straight answer on this forum?!?!:eek:
-Vaux:)

And to think, that was my first reaction too. You know what they say, you should always go with your first instinct...

Is it possible to get a straight answer on this forum?!?!:eek:
-Vaux:)

Hahaha, only on Sunday. :p

Back
Top Bottom