Morrissey & Marr ranked among 50 best British songwriters

How did we miss this in the Telegraph the other day? I won't tell you what they're ranked at, but let's just say that Morrissey wouldn't like the songwriter placed one spot ahead of them. And out of the entire Smiths oeuvre, author Chris Harvey picked a line from "Frankly, Mr. Shankly"?!?!?

Not as horrible as the sample line they picked for Sir Paul, though!

How did we miss this in the Telegraph the other day? I won't tell you what they're ranked at, but let's just say that Morrissey wouldn't like the songwriter placed one spot ahead of them. And out of the entire Smiths oeuvre, author Chris Harvey picked a line from "Frankly, Mr. Shankly"?!?!?

Not as horrible as the sample line they picked for Sir Paul, though!

I know I am not the biggest Beatles fan ever,but i do enjoy them and the "classic" line they selected for sir Paul is ,umm....odd.

I know I am not the biggest Beatles fan ever,but i do enjoy them and the "classic" line they selected for sir Paul is ,umm....odd.
The only acceptable explanation for using that lyric is that it was listed as the result of a dare. A tripple dog dare.

Last edited:
The only acceptable explanation for using that lyric is that it was listed as the result a dare. A tripple dog dare.

if i had lived under a rock and that was my first introduction to his lyric writing skills i would think wow,was he 10 when he wrote it?i like the song but its not the most profound lyric is it?

if i had lived under a rock and that was my first introduction to his lyric writing skills i would think wow,was he 10 when he wrote it?i like the song but its not the most profound lyric is it?

It's just plain batshit crazy that they chose that one. Just plain batshit.
They did fail to stick Ray Davies in his rightful spot in the top 10, though, so maybe they were serious and just rather inept.
I'd still like to believe it was just the result of a dare, if only for my own sanity.

Opinions suck.

Okay, okay.
please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

Wait, maybe I should re-read that list of what trolls do. :o :D

wouldnt this be more suited for the unflattering thread NRITH?
for good old smithy?

:confused:

or maybe not,now that i reread it

There's really an art to these lists, isn't there? The editors must sit around a table and compile the obvious list. Then they invite some junior staffers to come in and rearrange the list to make it friendlier for younger readers. Then-- and this is what interests me-- they have to pull one or two choices out of their asses (e.g. Kate Bush at #2) that must be controversial enough to generate angry reactions yet just respectable enough not to make the list seem utterly ridiculous. How do they do it? Every damn time, how do they do it?

#3? :mad:

John Lennon #1? Kate ush before our guys?

I tottally disagree, jeez... I've always been very close to hating John Lennon anyway.

Personally I think Morrissey deserves to be recognised as a songwriter in his own right. He's written many memorable songs since the Smiths. If they treat Lennon and Macca separate then he deserves the same.

Personally I think Morrissey deserves to be recognised as a songwriter in his own right. He's written many memorable songs since the Smiths. If they treat Lennon and Macca separate then he deserves the same.

Moz has never written a single song. He's only ever written the words.
McCartney and Lennon wrote their own solo songs, music and words, and played instruments too...

McCartney and Lennon wrote their own solo songs, music and words, and played instruments too...

you're right. It doesn't count that he writes the melody, does it? Then you're right, yes. Sh#t.

folks why do we have something to winge about everytime. does it matter what song lyric was chosen. i happen to think frankly mr shankly is one of their best. we should just be happy there number 3, where they belong!! well done the lads!!

Bollocks. The song is the words and melody. The parts Morrissey writes. It's only in the last 30-40 years the writer of the accompanying music has even got writer's credit. They used to be called arrangers and were paid a fee.

exactly.

why do people freak out when the beatles/paul/john are ranked higher above the smiths or morrissey in lists like this? what do you expect really? they had way more of an influence even if you PERSONALLY like smiths/moz better.

Back
Top Bottom