Morrissey having an off day lyricly?

Here is something from the pitchforkmedia-review of "sounds of the smiths":

"Your reaction to the Morrissey cult of personality is still likely to determine your reaction to the band as a whole-- grotesquely unfair on guitarist Johnny Marr though that is. It's thanks to him that everything the Smiths did is worth hearing, even when his lyricist is having an off day."

My question is the following: on whitch songs do you think Morrissey had "an off day"?

For me "unhappy birthday" is an obvious candidate.

I quite enjoy the lyrics in Unhappy birthday.. Really hard to think of a song with the suggested "off day", but the closest might be... Back to the old house. Or Barbarism begins at home. :eek:

I quite enjoy the lyrics in Unhappy birthday.. Really hard to think of a song with the suggested "off day", but the closest might be... Back to the old house.

Agreed. Back to the Old House is a bit ... tiresome.
Also, Oscillate Wildly, The Draize Train and Money Changes Everything, what was he thinking?! :o:p

I used to work at a bookstore. Sometimes the magazines would come with compilation CD's, one of them including a "Rare Smiths track!" I promptly stole the CD from a stripped copy and listened to it on the way home, it was Work Is A Four Letter Word. I was just over the Cuesta Grade when it played and I remember thinking, "This should've stayed a rare track, this is awful." Today I love it though. :rolleyes:

There is some "ooooooooooooooo" sung by Morrissey in Oscillate Wildly which sounded very convincing though. :p

Oh, I forgot all about that witty piece of lyric. :D

And to stay in subject I think Unloveable too lacks something lyrically to raise it above the fact that it's just a good Smiths-song, not coming even close to the very good Smiths-songs.

Last edited:
well to me it's Some girls are bigger than others
It's a funny lyric but does not match the beauty of Johnny's melody :)

I realize the song I picked was a cover. I think that speaks to the fact that it's impossible for Morrissey to have an off-day lyrically.

well to me it's Some girls are bigger than others
It's a funny lyric but does not match the beauty of Johnny's melody :)

I think it's a quite beautiful lyric. The whole point of The Smiths/Morrissey is that they do stuff like this. I think it's a shame in retrospect Marr can't appreciate that was what made them great.

I think it's a quite beautiful lyric. The whole point of The Smiths/Morrissey is that they do stuff like this. I think it's a shame in retrospect Marr can't appreciate that was what made them great.

Well said. :) That song never fails to make me smile.

Well said. :) That song never fails to make me smile.

Yes, me too, and it's not one of my least fav Smiths song, not at all (in fact I love it) but to me it represents what the author was saying in the article.

But hey, that's me :) - in any case I'd take any lyrics Moz throws in the garbage over 99% of what is written out there :) - then as now - I just love his lyrics. The melody is just fantastic, I think - I never get tired of listening to it :)

Here is something from the pitchforkmedia-review of "sounds of the smiths":

"Your reaction to the Morrissey cult of personality is still likely to determine your reaction to the band as a whole-- grotesquely unfair on guitarist Johnny Marr though that is. It's thanks to him that everything the Smiths did is worth hearing, even when his lyricist is having an off day."

My question is the following: on whitch songs do you think Morrissey had "an off day"?

For me "unhappy birthday" is an obvious candidate.
:eek: Unhappy Birthday is one of my favourite Smiths songs, mostly for the wonderfully funny and witty yet so emotionally true lyrics!

I don't think Morrissey ever had an off-day during the Smiths. But he has had quite a few in the recent years. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom