Lost

• Thread starter Andisheh Nouraee
  • Start date
A

Andisheh Nouraee

Fabricio - I too agree that Lost is one of Morrissey's finest moments. The section that begins "So if I see you . . . " moves me to tears with such certainty that I seldom listen to it in public.

Interestingly, the fantastic string arrangement that somebody commented on isn't actually strings, but synth. Same thing with "the edges are no longer parallel."

Relegating those songs to b-sides is enough to convince me that Morrissey is willfully destroying his commercial career by putting his finest work where only the die-hard fans will find it. "Sunny" is another example.

Cleanse Yourself The European Way

Maladjusted b-sides not much cop...

um, I totally disagree with you. all the b-sides from "maladjusted" are boring, overproduced, weak musically and not very interesting lyrically. all the things that mogsy SHOULD´NT be. they´ve made me think more than once that maybe he´s lost it after all....
/m.

Best Band In The World, Mate

Re: Maladjusted b-sides not much cop...

i have no words to show my surprise...

what's happened with you?¿ um, I totally disagree with you. all the b-sides from¿ "maladjusted" are boring, overproduced, weak musically¿ and not very interesting lyrically. all the things that mogsy¿ SHOULD´NT be. they´ve made me think more than once that maybe¿ he´s lost it after all....¿ /m.

Re: Maladjusted b-sides not much cop...

> i have no words to show my surprise...¿ what's happened with you?

fabricio, the link to Gene as the best band in the world should let you know that this person is not dealing with a full deck. Sure, the Maladjusted b-sides were not as awesome as "Sister I'm a Poet" or others, but they certainly beat the socks off of any Gene a-side!

Re: Morrissey lost it? No Way!! makes me sick

i dont get it. do you call yourself a true Moz fan? If you do, you shouldn't give up on him so quickly. I think we're so used to Moz being superb that when he doesn't make something that is excellent, people are ready to jump all over him. it makes me sick. true fans should not give Morrissey up just because they dont like one thing that he does. youre a fake if you call him a genius at one time and then take it back later. makes me sick

To tie this in with Belle and Sebastian once again.....

Nothing is going to please everyone all the time.

For example, I finally broke down and bought the Gentle Waves CD (yet another B & S side project) and was shocked at how bland it was.

It's not going to keep me from buying the next B&S album. It's just that it's impossible for anyone to hold up sustained intensity. Everyone is going to have dips, and I think it's healthier to acknowledge that your favorite act is not going to release 5-star albums every time over a span of 15 years.

maybe your lost, and you're pretending you're not....

everyone has their own opinions as to what is good and bad. I personally feel that "Lost" and "The EdgesAre No Longer Parallel" are probably amongst the best b-sides I've heard from any artist. Morrissey has had some great b-sides: Sunny, Nobobdy Loves Us, and so forth.... . Moz may not be making the "hit parade" as he did when he was younger, but what can you expect? Look at Paul Mccartney and John Lennon: There solo stuff was not always full of gems. Neither can we expect Morrissey to have "gems" all the time. While I do agree with the sentiment that "Lost" and "edges" are better than something like "Roy's keen" or "satan ..", we can't fault MOZ, as to what he puts or doesn't put on his albums.

Eventually, I feel that Moz will come out of the silence, and emerge with an effort that will blow us all away. Lets not be to critical of him. and for those who are critical of him, you have that right too. But give the guy a break, he's been doing this for 15 years!!!

Re: maybe your lost, and you're pretending you're not....

> everyone has their own opinions as to what is good and bad. I¿ personally feel that "Lost" and "The EdgesAre No¿ Longer Parallel" are probably amongst the best b-sides I've¿ heard from any artist. Morrissey has had some great b-sides:¿ Sunny, Nobobdy Loves Us, and so forth.... . Moz may not be¿ making the "hit parade" as he did when he was younger,¿ but what can you expect? Look at Paul Mccartney and John Lennon:¿ There solo stuff was not always full of gems. Neither can we¿ expect Morrissey to have "gems" all the time. While I¿ do agree with the sentiment that "Lost" and¿ "edges" are better than something like "Roy's¿ keen" or "satan ..", we can't fault MOZ, as to¿ what he puts or doesn't put on his albums.¿ Eventually, I feel that Moz will come out of the silence, and¿ emerge with an effort that will blow us all away. Lets not be to¿ critical of him. and for those who are critical of him, you have¿ that right too. But give the guy a break, he's been doing this¿ for 15 years!!!

I agree with this sentiment - however don't forget that Morrissey is held up to a higher standard than most others, both by fans and the mainstream media. With every new album comes the expectation of being completely blown away. When the records have a couple of filler tracks on them, or don't have quite the panache on every song as "Speedway" or "Jack the Ripper", people are understandably disappointed. I liked Lost, but The Edges...did not really move me.

I have been a fan for 14 years now, and while I'm not blind to Morrissey's flaws - the effort has seemed to become a little more strained with the last few albums and singles. Still, there have been great and not-so-great songs and moments on EVERY album, both Smiths and solo, and then some single or B-side just blows you away, making it all seem worthwhile, and reminds you why we all seem to think that the next album will be the greatest masterpiece in music history.

Even a completely overlooked single, like Satan...has two incredible B-sides like Now I Am A Was and This is Not Your Country. If he can pour that kind of sentiment into a full-length album...

But then you realize just how difficult it is to create 10 to 12 great songs that work together perfectly.

Re: To tie this in with Belle and Sebastian once again.....

Well, my fave artist, Morrissey, always releases 5-star albums. B&S, on the other hand, *are* bland so of course their side projects will be too. Cheers.¿ Nothing is going to please everyone all the time.¿ For example, I finally broke down and bought the Gentle Waves CD¿ (yet another B & S side project) and was shocked at how¿ bland it was.¿ It's not going to keep me from buying the next B&S album. It's¿ just that it's impossible for anyone to hold up sustained¿ intensity. Everyone is going to have dips, and I think it's¿ healthier to acknowledge that your favorite act is not going to¿ release 5-star albums every time over a span of 15 years.

Oh Well, Some Of You´ll Never Learn

> i have no words to show my surprise...¿ what's happened with you?

what´s happened? um, I being able to show signs of objectivity. not popular around here these days I reckon...

and yes, as someone stated... we are so used of high standard b-sides, so when the maladjusted ones appeared I simply felt... disappointed. does that make me less a fan? probably, if I´m to believe some of you guys. and that attitude is the exact reason that I´ve stayed away from this board and been in the real world for a few months... some people just need to grow up. of blody course I love him. what the @#!!! would I be doing here otherwise??? and I am entitled to my own personal opinion. and taste? really?? thanks!!

and matthew, by god, Gene is the greatest existsing popband in the world... and if you haven´t yet been touched by the emotions and pure magic of songs such as "where are they now", "fighting fit", "we could be kings" (these three being imho three og this decades greates singles), "london can you wait" or "you´ll never walk again"... then listen again... and if nothing happens... well, it´s your loss really.

cheers
/ martin

We COULD Be Kings

Re: To tie this in with Belle and Sebastian once again.....

Although I am envious of the state that you live in, um, you mean to tell me that you listen to all of his albums equally, with no preference to one or the other and without skipping tracks or leaving one CD in your player longer than the others? I can't imagine not appreciating music so much as to not latch onto the things that are better.

And of course, since you see Belle and Sebastian that way, it has to apply to the rest of us.....¿ Well, my fave artist, Morrissey, always releases 5-star albums.¿ B&S, on the other hand, *are* bland so of course their side¿ projects will be too. Cheers.

Re:Maybe it is the same thing

> and matthew, by god, Gene is the greatest existsing popband in¿ the world

I guess that I haven't been interested in the latest Gene is because I was so disappointed in the beginning.

But HEY, isn't that just the opposite in chronology, of your feelings about Morrissey? So neither of us should feel any regrets, right?

Re:Maybe it is the same thing OOPS

> I guess that I haven't been interested in the latest Gene is¿ because It was so disappointed in the beginning.¿ But HEY, isn't that just the opposite in chronology, of your¿ feelings about Morrissey? So neither of us should feel any¿ regrets, right?

"Lost" and "The Edges..." Lyrics??? anyone??

> everyone has their own opinions as to what is good and bad. I¿ personally feel that "Lost" and "The EdgesAre No¿ Longer Parallel" are probably amongst the best b-sides I've¿ heard from any artist.

With all this talk about Maladjusted b-sides (well, actually, Lost and The Edges...)could someone post the lyrics? I would like to see what all the fuss is about. And I suppose to many of you this is a foolish question but where/how do you get these b-sides? I mean Sunny, Nobody Loves Us etc..are easily obtained thru M.E.B.Y. So, I was just wondering.¿ do agree with the sentiment that "Lost" and¿ "edges" are better than something like "Roy's¿ keen" or "satan ..", we can't fault MOZ, as to¿ what he puts or doesn't put on his albums.

Everyone seems to put down "Roy's Keen"...does everyone dislike this song? because I enjoy it...it's not so emotional or touching as many of his songs but I like it, even still.

Getting the B-Sides

>I suppose to many of you this is a foolish question but where/how >do you get these¿ b-sides? I mean Sunny, Nobody Loves Us etc..are easily obtained¿ thru M.E.B.Y. So, I was just wondering.

The b-sides discussed are available either on American or UK CD singles. For Maladjusted, there were 3 UK CD singles (Alma Matters, Roy's Keen, Satan Rejected..) each with 2 non-album tracks. You can sometimes find them at Tower Records or a local independant record store that carries imports. Also www.cdnow.com, www.amazon.com and www.imvs.com

Cleanse Yourself The European Way

the miracle of money

are you a hillbilly? don't you know how to go to a record store or order online?¿ With all this talk about Maladjusted b-sides (well, actually,¿ Lost and The Edges...)could someone post the lyrics? I would¿ like to see what all the fuss is about. And I suppose to many of¿ you this is a foolish question but where/how do you get these¿ b-sides? I mean Sunny, Nobody Loves Us etc..are easily obtained¿ thru M.E.B.Y. So, I was just wondering.¿ Everyone seems to put down "Roy's Keen"...does¿ everyone dislike this song? because I enjoy it...it's not so¿ emotional or touching as many of his songs but I like it, even¿ still.

Why do hillbillies breed?

Re: "Lost" and "The Edges..." Lyrics??? anyone??

> With all this talk about Maladjusted b-sides (well, actually,¿ Lost and The Edges...)could someone post the lyrics? I would¿ like to see what all the fuss is about.

you can find all morrissey lyrics (as they are sung) in this excellent site:

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/

here are the lyrics:

"
LOST

Jet trails in the sky
Leave one word behind
A hand bangs into sand a name
And we all understand

Everybody's Lost
But they're pretending they're not
Lost
Oh, Lost

Jet trails in the sky
Leave one thought behind
A hand bangs into sand a name
And we all understand

Everybody's Lost
But they're pretending they're not
Lost
Oh, Lost

So if I see you
And I tell you
How I've watched you
I'm just Lost

So if I see you
And I tell you
I've watched you
Don't make fun of me later
Cause I'm just Lost

If I see you
And I tell you
How I've watched you
Cause I'm just Lost

If I see you
And I tell you
How I've watched you
Cause I'm just Lost
Lost Lost Lost Lost Lost Lost
"

"
THE EDGES ARE NO LONGER PARALLEL

The edges are no, no longer parallel
The edges are no, no longer parallel
And there is no law of averages here
If you feel down
Then you're bound to stay down
All of the things you said
So meaningful
They are all so suddenly meaningless
And the looks you gave
So meaningful
They are all so suddenly meaningless
Oh ...
And there is no law of averages here
If you feel down
Then you're bound to stay down

My only mistake is I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
My one mistake is I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
My only mistake is ...
My only mistake is I keep hoping
My only mistake is I keep hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
I'm hoping
"

the genius

Re: Getting the B-Sides

Also all the B-side in MP3 form are at http://barbaria.xlrn.ucsb.edu/mp3/html/¿ The b-sides discussed are available either on American or UK CD¿ singles. For Maladjusted, there were 3 UK CD singles (Alma¿ Matters, Roy's Keen, Satan Rejected..) each with 2 non-album¿ tracks. You can sometimes find them at Tower Records or a local¿ independant record store that carries imports. Also¿ www.cdnow.com, www.amazon.com and www.imvs.com

NO!! "Roy´s Keen" rules!!

¿ Everyone seems to put down "Roy's Keen"...does¿ everyone dislike this song? because I enjoy it...it's not so¿ emotional or touching as many of his songs but I like it, even¿ still.

nonono, I absolutely love it! it´s funny, it´s warm and the melody is just priceless. makes me dance around in very silly manners way too often actually...
cheers.
/ martin

We COULD Be Kings