lost

F

fabricio

when i hear lost, i think that is the most beautiful music ever made.

and i hear it several and several times.

i'm hearing this song now and i can't say another thing...

the genius

You're the reincarnation of Walt Whitman Fabricio.¿ when i hear lost, i think that is the most beautiful music ever¿ made.¿ and i hear it several and several times.¿ i'm hearing this song now and i can't say another thing...

That's a pretty song. I think the most beautiful and triumphant is Nobody Loves Us. Maybe because I feel I can relate to it more.

> You're the reincarnation of Walt Whitman Fabricio.

sorry but i'm so moved that i don't know what to do or what to say... (serious)

thank you...

the genius

Re: lost...Fabricio..somebody understands

> when i hear lost, i think that is the most beautiful music ever¿ made.¿ and i hear it several and several times.¿ i'm hearing this song now and i can't say another thing...

Jumpin' Oompa Loompas!
Somebody besides me feels what this song is all about. It's not just about pure Moz at his most finest, it's about the most moving music I've ever heard. Brilliant texture, and the most vital and crucial string arrangement ever! It just leaves you in a state of beautiful ruin is how I would descibe it. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling what I hear.
-robm

Re: lost...Fabricio..somebody understands

"a state of beautiful ruin": the perfect expression to describe this song!¿ Jumpin' Oompa Loompas!¿ Somebody besides me feels what this song is all about. It's not¿ just about pure Moz at his most finest, it's about the most¿ moving music I've ever heard. Brilliant texture, and the most¿ vital and crucial string arrangement ever! It just leaves you in¿ a state of beautiful ruin is how I would descibe it. I'm glad¿ I'm not alone in feeling what I hear.¿ -robm

another genius

i understand... and "lost" relates perfectly to me most of the time... what can i do...?¿ That's a pretty song. I think the most beautiful and triumphant¿ is Nobody Loves Us. Maybe because I feel I can relate to it¿ more.

another genius

Fabricio - I too agree that Lost is one of Morrissey's finest moments. The section that begins "So if I see you . . . " moves me to tears with such certainty that I seldom listen to it in public.

Interestingly, the fantastic string arrangement that somebody commented on isn't actually strings, but synth. Same thing with "the edges are no longer parallel."

Relegating those songs to b-sides is enough to convince me that Morrissey is willfully destroying his commercial career by putting his finest work where only the die-hard fans will find it. "Sunny" is another example.

Cleanse Yourself The European Way

> Fabricio - I too agree that Lost is one of Morrissey's finest¿ moments. The section that begins "So if I see you . . .¿ " moves me to tears with such certainty that I seldom¿ listen to it in public.

yes, since the begining the song is wonderful - but when the line "so if i see you.." begins... oh, i have no more words to describe...¿ Interestingly, the fantastic string arrangement that somebody¿ commented on isn't actually strings, but synth. Same thing with¿ "the edges are no longer parallel."¿ Relegating those songs to b-sides is enough to convince me that¿ Morrissey is willfully destroying his commercial career by¿ putting his finest work where only the die-hard fans will find¿ it. "Sunny" is another example.

for me this is a proof morrissey simply isn't the greedy person that some people say he is.

and smiths sells lots of cds in brazil nowadays - and he never came here.

and he sings few smiths songs in shows.

no, the Man is not greedy at all...

the genius

> for me this is a proof morrissey simply isn't the greedy person¿ that some people say he is.

I cannot attest to whether he is greedy or not. However, I do not think that willfully putting off casual fans by putting your best songs where casual fans never look is necessarily a sign that someone isn't greedy.

Let's assume for a moment that Moz recognized Lost or The Edges Are No Longer Parallel as great great great songs. Let's also say for this example that the opposite of greed is generosity. Would the following two actions be more generous than putting the songs on b-sides:

1) Putting the songs on the full-length album where the record-buyer, die-hard or casual fan, would receive the most great songs for his or her dollar (or for a Brazilian, songs per Real).

2) Putting the songs on a full-length album because it would give more listeners who have less spending money than you or I to bask their overwhelming beauty.

I think the reason it wasn't on the album was because the idea for the song may not have popped up until after the album was completed.

Interesting how different the album may have sounded if he waited 6 months to record it. The artistic world may have suffered because of it, but it was not a happy way of doing things.

> I cannot attest to whether he is greedy or not. However, I do¿ not think that willfully putting off casual fans by putting your¿ best songs where casual fans never look is necessarily a sign¿ that someone isn't greedy.¿ Let's assume for a moment that Moz recognized Lost or The Edges¿ Are No Longer Parallel as great great great songs. Let's also¿ say for this example that the opposite of greed is generosity.¿ Would the following two actions be more generous than putting¿ the songs on b-sides:¿ 1) Putting the songs on the full-length album where the¿ record-buyer, die-hard or casual fan, would receive the most¿ great songs for his or her dollar (or for a Brazilian, songs per¿ Real).¿ 2) Putting the songs on a full-length album because it would¿ give more listeners who have less spending money than you or I¿ to bask their overwhelming beauty.

in terms of generosity perhaps - but morrissey said in a recent interview that suede may stay with all his previous fan "who thinks morrissey is written witha single s". he wants just his die-hards?

anyway he would receive much more money if he put great b-sides in the maladjusted album. i think great part of the english musicians put different songs in the b-sides, and the die-hard normally buy these singles, without difference if the b-side is good or not. so if moz put the recent b-sides songs in the maladjusted album, the things would happen is that the critics would like much more the album, and certainly it would have sold better. in this case even more die-hard fans would buy the album (even with weak b-sides) - and moz would receive much more money. all these thing happened in the vauxhall and i cd!

anyway, if morrissey would be really greedy, his solo career would be completely different. it would be like mick jagger one (he tried to be a solo artist and he gave up when he did not make success) or paul mcartney`s (in his shows he sings beatles' great success songs 90% of the time).

ps: sorry for my use of the conditional...

If Morrissey's character represents the pinnacle of Anti-Greed, then he would of just recorded the songs and then sold them to us at cost by mail-order.

Eschewing the fans who spell Morissey with a single "s" does not equate to being generous. In my opinion, it's just more of the self-destructive contrarianism quite common among the perpetually depressed. It's part of what I enjoy about him.

I could say more, but you get the general idea.

> If Morrissey's character represents the pinnacle of Anti-Greed,¿ then he would of just recorded the songs and then sold them to¿ us at cost by mail-order.

i didn't say he is the pinnacle of anti-greed - i simply said he is not the greedy person some people say he is.¿ Eschewing the fans who spell Morissey with a single¿ "s" does not equate to being generous. In my opinion,¿ it's just more of the self-destructive contrarianism quite¿ common among the perpetually depressed. It's part of what I¿ enjoy about him.

i wrote: "he wants just the die-hard fans?" if so, i don`t know why. i may have been expressed bad my idea, but i don't think he is a generous person because he wants just the die-hard fans - but if he was so greedy as some people say, he would not be like this.¿ I could say more, but you get the general idea.

that`s my general idea: a greedy person doesn`t act like him. see phil collins or mick jagger or paul mcartney for example: they don`t act like morrissey. they do everything to be in the press, to make accessible songs, to play success in their shows.

when you arrive in a place where morrissey is it`s very easy to show his greedness. a middle-class person like me has not the same chance.

> to make accessible songs, to play success in their shows.

Making accessible songs is in fact an act of generosity because it has the potential reach many people and make their lives happier, if only for a moment. For Maladusted, Morrissey filmed a music video, posed for press photos, did lots of interviews, toured the US and Europe, and released the albums "catchiest" uptempo songs as radio singles. It's illogical then to declare that Morrissey is less greedy that Phil Collins simply because Phil Collins sells more records. They use the exact same promotional techniques!

> I think the reason it wasn't on the album was because the idea¿ for the song may not have popped up until after the album was¿ completed.

I believe that you are correct. The CD says that Lost and The Edges were recorded in July 1997, which was probably too late to get them on Maladjusted even if he wanted them there.

> Making accessible songs is in fact an act of generosity because¿ it has the potential reach many people and make their lives¿ happier, if only for a moment.

this is a polemic point of view, and i don`t agree with you. velvet undeground made great songs and most of all are unaccessible.¿ For Maladusted, Morrissey filmed¿ a music video, posed for press photos, did lots of interviews,¿ toured the US and Europe, and released the albums¿ "catchiest" uptempo songs as radio singles. It's¿ illogical then to declare that Morrissey is less greedy that¿ Phil Collins simply because Phil Collins sells more records.¿ They use the exact same promotional techniques!

he made only 4 interviews for this album. he went few times to tv. he made just one video. he sang just a great hit in shows: "the more you ignore me, the closer i get". he said some times to the public: "you are bored, don`t you?"

everybody knows he could do much more to promote the album.

well, speaking generally, i think you say he is not "generous". i am saying he is not "greedy". these are different things. what you may consider "generosity" in phil collins actions i simply say is "greediness".

perhaps i am more cetic about human behaviour in general...

> I believe that you are correct. The CD says that Lost and The¿ Edges were recorded in July 1997, which was probably too late to¿ get them on Maladjusted even if he wanted them there.

it makes no sense thinking if it was too late or not to put lost in maladjusted simply because we probably will never know it.

anyway i think lost, besides been a wonderful song, has a strong commercial appeal. morrissey could wait six months more and put lost as an a-side single, as he did with another great song, boxers.

simply morrissey didn`t want that lost made any commercial success.

> well, speaking generally, i think you say he is not¿ "generous". i am saying he is not "greedy".¿ these are different things. what you may consider¿ "generosity" in phil collins actions i simply say is¿ "greediness".

I have no idea if he is generous or not. I only assert that putting great songs on b-sides is in no way an indicator of his generosity (or possible lack of it). It only proves that he is a great musician.

If Morrissey didn't want to make money from his music, he'd assemble a band and play in his basement.

> it makes no sense thinking if it was too late or not to put lost¿ in maladjusted simply because we probably will never know it.

This entire discussion board is based on speculation. In the messages above, you name four people with whom you've never had any face-to-face interaction (Morrissey, Phil Collins, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney) and declared one of them generous and the other three greedy.

To paraphrase you, it makes no sense thinking if they are greedy or not because we probably will never know it.¿ anyway i think lost, besides been a wonderful song, has a strong¿ commercial appeal. morrissey could wait six months more and put¿ lost as an a-side single, as he did with another great song,¿ boxers.

It is entirely possible that Lost and The Edges Are No Longer Parallel were the only songs recorded and mixed when the b-sides were needed. We might not ever know.¿ simply morrissey didn`t want that lost made any commercial¿ success.

How do you know?