"List of the Lost" reviews in The Guardian, The Daily Beast

I'll make up my own mind, but The Guardian are not impressed...

Morrissey: What we learned about him from List of the Lost by Michael Hann - The Guardian blog
Morrissey’s first novel is out and … well, it’s not very good. But the classic Moz tropes are present and correct

Excerpt:

"It’s commonplace in this kind of article to tell you we’re reading the book so you don’t have to. It’s a tease, usually. In the case of List of the Lost, however, it’s absolutely true. Do not read this book; do not sully yourself with it, no matter how temptingly brief it seems. All those who shepherded it to print should hang their heads in shame, for it’s hard to imagine anything this bad has been put between covers by anyone other than a vanity publisher. It is an unpolished turd of a book, the stale excrement of Morrissey’s imagination."

By the way ... I note at the very beginning "The author would like to thank Helen Conford"

The Dailybeast say...

Morrissey’s First Novel ‘List of the Lost’ Is a Bizarre, Misogynistic Ramble by Nico Hines - The Daily Beast
The writing is laughably clunky, the characters thinly drawn, the style stilted. But what’s worst about the ex-Smiths frontman’s List of the Lost is its repulsive treatment of women.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Morrissey sees the media reaction to this - if he hasn't already - he is going to go into meltdown. It's hard not to feel some sympathy, even if the 'book' is almost unreadable. I can't believe his friends and colleagues had nothing but praise when he showed them this.. they're just setting him up for failure.

I haven't read the book, but from I have seen and from what I have heard, how could you possibly expect any other reaction? I wouldn't be able to write that stuff, but if I had, I can't see how I could fail to see it was horrible. What is especially surprising is that this has come from a man who is so well read and has apparently such good taste in literature. It almost beggars belief.

Last edited:
When Morrissey sees the media reaction to this - if he hasn't already - he is going to go into meltdown. It's hard not to feel some sympathy, even if the 'book' is almost unreadable. I can't believe his friends and colleagues had nothing but praise when he showed them this.. they're just setting him up for failure.

I think Penguin need a good look at themselves as they allowed it to be published, unless they knew it was a turd that would generate publicity - there is even half a page in todays Sun which reports on the sex piece. I never planned to buy this but am now slightly more interested.

I can't believe his friends and colleagues had nothing but praise when he showed them this.. they're just setting him up for failure.

:) Morrissey plants the seeds of failure himself, and waters them with dry tears every night. No other gardener's help is needed, and nobody else is to blame.

Plus, Anon has just told us he is NOT depressed. Now that's good news. That coupled with the asteroid that didn't destroy Earth yesterday, I'd say we're on a roll. ;)

Bizarre, I had the same exact thought on the other thread, but I thought it about the time you typed it. :D Trandcontinental Amy Mind Meld...

"I haven't read the book and I plan to when I get get ahold of one, but one thing these reviews make me feel sorry for is that Morrissey either doesn't have friends honest enough to read it and say it needs some basic editing (context/shift/paring down) proving that they are just feeding him platitudes, or WORSE, he has no friends he feels confident enough to share the book with before it goes to print. Why didn't Linder proof this and say "Honey you're going to be panned by the literati, it needs editing."? Book reviewers are the most nitpickey critics, they are HARSH. Did Morrissey bank on this being a magical experiment where he channeled a literary voice and to alter the voice was to alter the spirit or something? I always feel like there has to be an explanation beyond that he's a horrible writer, because he's NOT."

Sir, nice and correct words from you.

yeah.

looking at the what are you currently reading thread im sceptical of your guys opinion on literature but im a skeptical person i guess. same with newspaper reviews, better off reviewing gone girl or harry potter. ive not read it yet and dont think many in general have but looking at top 40 bestsellers and im probably not on the same page so tot speak

The Guardian dude sounds just like Barleycorn, which has probably given the latter a perma-salutation.

Back
Top Bottom